Ch 8- Weight of Industry
1.9k 20 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, I want to talk about metals that could interact with mana.”

Finally, I managed to pull the smith out of his own mind. He had been acting like a curious monkey since he entered the ship, gawking at every little thing. Even his apprentice was more dignified than him.

“What exactly do you want to know?”

There were simply too many things that I didn’t know about this world. And as a mechanical engineer, metals interested me more than magic.

“First let’s start with the how many metal there are. I know a little about few of them, but in-depth information would be nice.”

Eyes of the apprentice, Brian, were focused on the caesar salad, but it was clear that he was paying attention to us. The elven ears were much more expressive, just like the tails of dogs.

“Hmm, the most common is mythril. It’s required to make magic trinkets and equipment, but to be of use, it needs to be at least 20% purity, which I cannot do. While it is the most common one, it’s also the most expensive. High level mages tend to need it most, so countries with more mages such as Narcissa or Atalanta, and the richest country, Empire will buy it for any price. Buying power of the Empire has gone down after the civil war, but they still buy it at any price you can demand.

Next most common would be adamantium.  It’s exceedingly strong, maybe not as much as orichalcium, but unlike it, doesn’t block with magic. Just like all other magic metals, it’s harder to forge it pure, so it is mostly used in alloys. At 5%, it is bit harder than steel, yet just as malleable. Legends say that the pure adamantium armor of the ancient heroes could withstand attacks of the ancient dragons for days on end.

There are 3 more of them. When you feed mana to zorikanium, it heats up, making it easier to penetrate or cut an enemy. Even 5% steel alloy can cut though the skin of orcs like ordinary leather. Only, it’s ineffective against orichalcium. But that’s hardly a demerit.

The other 2 are rather weird. Orichalcium can nullify any magic done to it, and it’s even stronger than adamantium, but it is very dense. A piece as big as a finger can weigh as much as 10 kilograms. If it is mixed with any other metals, it will lose its effect, so making an alloy with it is impossible. In the first place, one needs to be a grandmaster smith to work with it. Also, there is a need for a special potion to melt it; as otherwise, it won’t heat up no matter what. Last one is covanium. It also limited to be used only by the grandmasters. After it’s forged, it will absorb all incoming damage till a threshold. After it reaches a point, it will start to heat up rapidly, but will keep up its effect. Similarly, it needs an alchemical concoction to soften it up to work. Legends say it took almost 100 Tier 5 mages 3 whole month to be able to force it to melt with Mana ball spells.”

It was a lot to take in, but, it made me excited for the first time since arriving at this planet. For example, if covanium could be used as shock absorbers, adamantium as external armor, zorikanium as ammunition for gauss rifle, and compressed gas for propulsion, one could make a functioning Ironman suit. Of course, there still would be the age old issue of your internals turning into a paste due to rapid change in momentum, but this world also had an answer for that. Cultivation. If one were to become a high level warrior, they could most likely shrug it off. But I was getting ahead of myself. I still knew too little about these materials. There was a need for better information, which smith couldn’t provide. I had to do my own tests.

“Then, how are there metals found and mined?”

The apprentice and I had already finished eating, so I brought some wine from my stash. From the looks of it, neither of them ever had alcohol this good. It would have been more weird had they not, as there was no drink better than a 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, at least, to me.

The smith continued as he enjoyed his drink.

“All of them can be found with spells. You let out a wave of mana, and if some of it is absorbed by the ground, it means that there is something that can react with it in the soil. Only, orichalcium can’t be found like this, hence, it is much rarer. Larysa, who is a Tier 3 mage, can fill you in on it much better than I could. As for the refining them, you need to heat the soil in a forge, crush it to a fine powder, before hand panning it. Afterwards, you have to melt the metal particles together and use an alchemical solution to burn away the normal metals. What is this drink, by the way? It’s alcoholic, and stronger than beer. Yet it’s mellow to drink...”

. . . . .

After that, the discussion spiraled away from metals, as we began talking about some business ideas and social issues plaguing this world. The eyes of the apprentice, which was swimming inattentively since drinking wine, locked onto me as I made a careless remark.

“What do you mean by that? Mr. Lloyd, how would magic materials slow down the progress of this world?”

“Hmm. Imagine a world where farmers can only grow enough food to feed only 1 man, himself. They wouldn’t have enough time to do anything else, such as learning smithing, carpentry or guarding the village, right? Are you with me so far?”

“Yes.”

“But if a man could feed more than one, even if by 1 more, that would mean one man not needing to work for food, leaving him with enough time to take another profession, such as smithing. That very smith could forge metal plows, causing an increase in efficiency of farming. This will allow less people to work for food, allowing society and towns to be built. With more free people, everything else will increase. More smiths, more carpenters, more guards, more traders, more kings and queens. A true society like yours can only be born if a man can feed more than just himself.

“Yes, I can understand that, by why would magic metals slow it down?”

By now, the smith was relegated to only listening, as his much more interested apprentice got spirited.

“That’s the point isn’t it, Mr. Brian? You lot are so far back, you can’t see it. You lot are in the same position as that example I gave. If the metals such as iron were to be more common, you would be able to advance your society. Yet, all of your lords are investing in magic materials, while ignoring the needs of common populace. As long as your magic materials don’t run out, there will be no real progress in the world.”

“And what kind of change would that be? You claim as such, yet give no proof.”

“Its power, Brian. Or energy to be correct. In the example, which was real history, elves only had the energy of their own muscles. Now, you still only have you own muscles, and mana, but you have learned how to use it better, with the help of metals. The next step, the industrial revolution will not be as such. Power of elves will only be a guiding force, not the one applying energy.”

It was too much for the elves. They couldn’t possibly hope to understand it without seeing it.

Steam. Steam could change everything. With it, for once, there would be a reason to invest in populace, to educate it to professionalize in narrow fields. It would be the first time for the common rabble of elves to matter in strengthening the nations besides giving birth to farmers, miners and smiths, and to soldiers.

There was only one question remaining. It was whether I was going to help or not.

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter. Its a bit shorter than usual, as I decided to do so due to all the info dumps.

Also, the same world map once again:

Spoiler

[collapse]

 

48