Ch 13- Education with Princess
1.9k 22 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I would like to whole heartedly thank Alphafi for my first review, and Crazy-hat, for his constant encouragements.

“No, no, you don’t have to use steel for the engine, normal wrought iron will do just fine in almost all but the smallest parts.”

I was drinking tea with Mary. She had come in the morning, claiming that in her thirst for knowledge she wanted to learn from me. Not that it did matter much to me, since teaching one and teaching 2 wasn’t all that different. Now, we were waiting for my other student, while I filled her in some of what I had taught the other one.

“Oh, that would decrease the costs greatly indeed. But manufacturing will still be hard, I don’t think even a class 3 smith will be able to manufacture it. And grandmaster smith’s time is quite valuable, which will increase the cost of manufacturing.”

A smile was more valuable than an answer here, yet, I spoke.

“You are right, if not for 2 points. First, the one I showed yesterday had been overdesigned, to be able to do many things. Usually, steam engines are made for specific needs, reducing the number of parts necessary. Second, with it, steam power also brings new methods of manufacture, making it much easier to create one.”

There was a minute of silence between us. I asked a question, after wetting my lips with the tea.

“So. Who are you, actually? You didn’t expect anyone to believe that little story, did you?”

I have to give credit where it’s due. She did a lot to hide her panic. Her ears didn’t move, neither did her face change. If not for her pulse shooting through the roof, I would have started to question whether I was right or wrong.

“What do you mean by that?” She said, right before taking a swig from her cup.

“No one actually bought your lies, you see. A daughter of merchant reaching Tier 3, at this age? In this backwaters of the world? It might be possible, but add in the guards and you manners, it’s not likely. We had an extended meeting after you left yesterday. There are some theories floating around.”

“Oh, what would they might be? It’s rather amusing that they doubt me, yet I am also curious.”

“That you are daughter of a noble and that you father died, so you are seeking refuge. Some also think that you are indeed a daughter of a merchant, but from the duchy, not the counties.”

“Creative indeed. But regrettably they ar-” I cut her off, before she could continue.

“Before you lie once again, I have to say, I can tell when you lie around me. I know that your father is some kind of noble, yet he lives. I also know that he is not from the Duchy. I can’t tell whether you said the complete truth or not, but lies, I can. But I am not stupid, young lady, when you said you wanted to learn, it was truth, you do want knowledge and power. But that’s not all is it? I know you also want something else from me.”

It took her 5 minutes to answer. Entire time, she had lost control of ears. Her ears were going up and down from panic, and they were going red, as if she was overheating.

“I guess there would be no harm in telling you. You do not seem like the type of men who doesn’t know when to shut his mouth. Even better, I don’t think you have the need to blackmail me with it. My real name is Silva, Silva Laverna. Daughter of Naevius Laverna, granddaughter of the late king Jorma Laverna.”

Oh? We have a real princess in our hands. Now, we only lacked the white knight in the shining armor. Or, does she still count as a princess if the kingdom is no more?

“I am afraid we will have to cut this matter short, Princess Silva. Brian is about to arrive.”

It seems like I had touched a sensitive area with that title, as she threw me a sharp glance.

When Brian came in, he stood at the door for a second, as his sleepy eyes got glued to her. Indeed, she was pretty, but I don’t think that was why his eyes got stuck on her. She was average for an elf, at 185 centimeters. Her eyes were brown, with just a hint of blue. Her short hair was also somewhat blue toward the edges, starting as bright yellow. Small nose, large eyes, the whole ‘observe me and worship’ look. But it was nothing I hadn’t seen before. From the end of 22nd century, where genetic modifications became almost mandatory, humanity had been doing wacky things with their bodies. And it was fully legal to do anything that you could imagine, as long as you didn’t touch the sperm line, where it could affect your offspring. Woman just as beautiful as her was common place during my time.

“All right, Brian, sit down, would you. Today we were supposed to talk about steam governors, but since Mary doesn’t know enough about the engine, I have decided to change the subject. But before that, what happened to you? Your eyes are about to sown shut.”

He struggled to keep his eyes on me.

“It’s the book you had me give to Larysa. She had been screaming all night long, ‘how is this possible?!’ or ‘what about magic?!’. I don’t think anyone living close to her potionery managed to get a good sleep.”

I had given her a simple chemistry book, designed for children, alongside bunch of necessary equipments. Even then, I had to cut or replace huge swaths of it, as some concepts such as electricity were going to make her even more confused. She had enough on her plate as is. Just like I was training Brian to do the future engineering work, I wanted her to do the chemistry part. There were going to be a lot of need for chemicals when we managed to kick start the manufacturing. Sodium carbonate, sulfuric acid, calcium hypochlorite and many more. This list didn’t even include the chemicals needed for making gunpowder or primer.

The hardest part, for me, was to learn the written language. But my fears were for naught, as the alphabet turned out to be a simple one. 44 different syllables, each for a different vowel. As simple as that. It had taken Jesse less than a second after that to translate it.

“In a sense, it would have been weirder if she hadn’t done that. Anyway, to make it easier for me, please do tell me, what do you burn to melt the iron when you refine it?”

“We use charcoal, sir. Wood doesn’t get hot enough, and the normal coal makes the iron brittle.”

“Indeed, it does. That’s one part of the lesson today. Do you remember the molecular theory?”

The man was a smith by trade, so he had good enough understanding of nature of metals. But that didn’t make him a genius. Thus, I had decided to take it slow when it came to atomic theory, and dumb down concepts.

Just as he was nodding to show his response, Mary, or rather Silva, cut in.

“I am afraid that you will have to explain it to me too.”

“Hmm… It is hard to explain in detail, and not even a week would be enough. Short story is, things are made out of small thing called atoms, so small it can’t be divided. The thing is, they like to stick to each other sometimes, creating more complicated matters. For example, to make Steel from Iron you need to add Coal, right? The coal particles, when hot enough, interact with Iron atoms, and you have steel.”

Granted, it was not a good example, as in this case, carbon did not interact with iron, rather got stuck in the bonds of the iron molecules. But this was the simplest way that I could think of to explain it.

“Similarly coal itself doesn’t only have carbon atoms, which is the part that burns when lit. It also contain Sulfur. When added to Iron, it interacts with it, turning it weaker.”

“I see. Is there any methods to eradicate this ‘Sulfur’ thing you talk of?”

“Of course there is. It would be a short talk otherwise, wouldn’t it? Brian, as you know, when you melt iron, impurities rise to surface as slag. What we have to do is to force sulfur into the slag. For that, we need limestone.”

“Limestone, sir? I can’t say I have heard of it.”

“I am getting there. Have you seen the white rocks near the oceans? I think there should be some near the lake, too.” I helped myself to some water, as I listened Brian talk. Silva was listening from the side, muddled, as if she couldn’t understand half of what was said.

“Yes, there are some white rocks near the lake, but they are deemed useless. They are too brittle to make anything out of them.”

“That’s where you are mistaken. They are one of the most useful of materials. They are not only useful to make wrought iron and steel, but they are also needed for something else. That something is the topic of today’s lesson. Cement.”

There was puzzlement on both of their eyes, or rather, ears.

“Cement is a construction material. When you add water to it, it hardens until it’s as hard as rock.”

That’s what I was looking for. Disbelief, suspicion and surprise, all packaged into one facial expression.

“Look, I have some right here to prove you.”

I lifted a box from ground, where I had hid it, to the table. From it, I took the premade powders and water.

“This is the cement powder. It’s made by calcinating limestone powder and clay powder together. This is iron shavings, as Brian should be familiar. It’s often used alongside sand to make it stronger. All you have to do is to mix them together with water, and wait for it to set. It should be pliable for 2 hours, and should fully set in 2 to 3 days.”

“Calcinating?”

“That means you have to burn it to a high temperature in an enclosed space. That is the reason I had not told you about it, as without steam engine pushing air into the furnace, which you are going to build, it would be impossible to reach high enough temperatures.”

“Sir, what do you mean by me building it?”

His ears rose as high as it could, an expression I have taken to mean surprise.

“You don’t expect me to do it, do you? I will show you the limestone mine, but making charcoal, building the furnace, mining limestone, dragging along clay, crushing them, calcinating them and transporting it back will fall to you and anyone you manage to muster. Believe me, in the end, it will be much faster than processing all that lumber into planks for the houses. In good news, its right next to river, downstream, so you should be able to reach it in 4 hours by boat.”

49