Ch 6. An adventurous prince (Updated)
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the world of Rufia adventurers are a guild of warriors and mages who are hired for exploration, escort and combat. They are cheaper than actual mercenaries but also not as experienced. Anyone can join the guild. By itself the guild only provides services of registration and some basic help like information and training grounds. Young warriors join adventurers to have jobs and gain experience before joining an actual military, or to find companions for a long journey. Not to mention that town guards have less questions about why one carries a sword.


The Antioch adventurers guild is right in front of me. A giant three-floor building with stone foundation stands close to western gate and is filled with adventurers. Harry returned me to reality because I was standing still for quite some time.

“You really live in a palace?” (Harry)

“Well, I wasn`t expecting to see such a solid building.” (George)

“Welcome to the world outside of your bedroom!” (Harry)

[Yeah, sometimes I am too unconscious of the surroundings…]

The doors to the main hall were opened, perhaps because there are many people passing through all the time. Inside the guild were tables and benches. Judging by a line near the back wall there was registration booth. I stood in the back of one of the lines. The waiting has begun.

A few moments later

[Is there any line for nobles?]


Harry was eating something at one of the tables while I was standing in this endless queue. I bet he knew about the waiting and decided to keep it to himself. I hope it will worth the time.

One hour later my turn has come. The guild's clerk gave me a form and started explaining the rules.

“The guild will issue you an identification card. You must always carry it. If you are arrested for carrying a weapon and don't have the guild's card you automatically lose our protection. Guild will assist you with finding suitable tasks. All adventurer tasks you find yourself must be registered by the guild. Otherwise the guild's paying guarantees won't be enforced. Do you have any questions about the guild or how it operates?” (Clerk)

“Are there any services to help find a companion for traveling?” (George)

“No, but here in a guild hall there surely are people trying to find fellow adventurers to work together.” (Clerk)

“Can I access the guild's library to search for information?” (George)

“I am sorry. The guild provides information only to the adventurers who proven themselves. We cannot let everyone access our library.” (Clerk)

“Okay, but can I ask you something. It is important.” (George)

“Erhm… Yes, go ahead.” This clerk was quite surprised by that lot of questions.

“Are there any old ruins or dungeons nearby?” (George)

A surprisingly unusual topic was brought up by me. How do I know it? The clerk's face had one expression.

‘What the hell is this guy asking?’

No… there are no such places… I guess you really wanted to explore some ruins, right? But I really never heard of any ruins. It could be that there are no such places in the world.” Clerk was shocked but answered with obvious sadness. Perhaps I looked like a guy who wanted to explore something and for that reason joined the adventurers.

“Thank you, you really helped me.” My words made clerk`s expression soften.

Now that I was a real adventurer it was the time to start searching for companions.

0