Chapter 18: Feng Eu Mei’s Jealousy
2.3k 9 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Who’s this?” asked Feng Ru Weng as he openly sized up Su Jing Fei with an interested gaze.

“This is the da xiaojie of the Right Prime Minister Su Xuan Mo’s family.” Li Wei Sheng introduced her as though they were familiar.

“This one greets young master Feng Ru Weng,” spoke Su Jing Fei with polite bow. “My name is Su Jing Fei.”

Upon realizing who Su Jing Fei was, Feng Ru Weng’s face turned into a look of irritation. It was quite obvious that he did not hold her in high regard, despite her coming from a higher-ranking family than he. But with Li Wei Sheng present, they’d have to stick to the proper manners and pleasantries, so Feng Ru Weng gave her a lackluster greeting back.

From her peripheral, Su Jing Fei caught a look of anger from Feng Eu Mei. It was quite obvious that the xiaojie had quite a crush on Li Wei Sheng. However, since she was still playing the part of kind and pure xiaojie, Feng Eu Mei could not say anything in regards to Su Jing Fei and Li Wei Sheng’s acquaintance. It wasn’t really all that special anyhow, so she wished he wouldn’t act so familiar.

Feng Ru Weng was quick to change the topic however, and he began speaking to Feng Eu Mei, completely ignoring Su Jing Fei. She didn’t mind; her true purpose for attending the spring festival celebration was only to show face to the Fuo Lan noble families and gather a bit of information about the Feng family themselves. The young men and women chatted merrily among themselves, and Su Jing Fei observed quietly.

However, it seemed Feng Eu Mei would not let Su Jing Fei off easy, seemingly holding some kind of grudge at the fact that Li Wei Sheng had greeted Su Jing Fei first over her. “Su xiaojie is about the same age as me, but she has already been engaged once prior. One can say she is quite the experienced, so this one hopes to learn a lot of things from her.” Feng Eu Mei gave her warmest smile, reaching over to grab ahold of Su Jing Fei’s hand and patting it gently. “This one hopes Su xiaojie will be able to stay in Fuo Lan for a long time.”

Despite her pretty words of friendship, a considerable amount of insult was contained in those words, and some of the other young men and women snickered quietly because they were well aware of Su Jing Fei’s predicament. However, Feng Eu Mei was truly surprised as Su Jing Fei placed a hand atop of hers and gave a gentle smile in return. “This one has nothing to teach Feng xiaojie because one’s engagement was determined since childhood, so one did not have a say in one’s previous betrothal. However, Feng xiaojie is pretty, kind, and has come of age recently; there must be quite a few men hoping to impress Feng xiaojie in hopes of your hand in marriage. This one hopes Feng xiaojie can choose her husband wisely.”

Feng Eu Mei suddenly felt rather uncomfortable at the affectionate touch, and she quickly pulled her hands away from Su Jing Fei, plastering a smile on her face as she thanked Su Jing Fei for her kind words. From all the information Su Jing Fei had gathered, it seemed the Feng family really regarded Feng Eu Mei highly since she was quite beautiful and talented; with such a daughter like her, there was no doubt the ambitious Feng family would hope to catch the eye of an imperial prince like Li Wei Sheng as a son-in-law. To become a phoenix was every young woman’s dream, and it seemed like Feng Eu Mei was no different.

Suddenly, servants came through the garden to inform everyone that the spring festival celebrations were beginning, and it was time for the banquet. The young men and women made their way to the large banquet hall and were seated accordingly. Su Jing Fei was separated from everyone else and took her own seat at a quiet corner. At the front of the hall, Su Jing Fei finally spotted Feng Ruo Qian seated at a table with Feng Ru Weng at his side. Zhao shi sat across from them with Feng Eu Mei. At the head of the table sat an older man; he appeared to have gotten quite comfortable in his years as the girth around his weight stretched his robes quite tightly. His mouth was perpetually pursed from the weight of his cheeks, and he appeared to move with slow restrained movements. With the Feng Lao Furen sitting at his side, the man was no doubt the patriarchal leader of the Feng family, the city lord Feng Ruo Zhang. With all of them gathered together, it was quite tempting for Su Jing Fei to exact her revenge at the banquet right then and there. However, she still had to keep Da Chun safe, and striking out was not the best way to protect her younger sister. For now, she had to bide her time before she could possess the means to exact revenge on the Feng family. The first step, however, was to show the Feng family that she was not someone to be easily trifled with.

The banquet proceeded without much fanfare; however, Feng Ruo Zhang did say a few words of celebration in regards to the spring festival. Cups of plum wine were brought out to everyone, including Su Jing Fei. She observed the wine carefully, glancing at the Feng family sitting at front and catching the eye of Feng Eu Mei who looked away quickly. From the looks of it, the plum wine wasn’t as simple as it seemed.

Yize watched worriedly as her xiaojie downed the whole cup of plum wine. “Da xiaojie, this lowly one suggests you drink it a little slower. Especially since you aren’t used to drinking wine…”

Su Jing Fei gave the young yatou a reassuring smile. “Thank you for worrying about me, Yize. However, you must keep an eye on the Feng xiaojie and gongzi1unmarried man/young sir. They’ll definitely be watching to make sure this one has drank the wine.”

Yize glanced at the front of the banquet hall, and sure enough, Feng Eu Mei and Feng Ru Weng were looking in their direction. She grew worried over the implications of their gazes, but she knew her xiaojie was already well aware of the possibility that they could have put something in the wine. Her master was too clever to not expect something like that from the Feng family; maybe they were hoping to humiliate her master or something. However, Su Jing Fei remained calmly sitting and eating as the food was brought out, so Yize chose to trust her xiaojie and not worry too much over the matter.

After the banquet finished, Su Jing Fei was expecting to head home, but the Feng family seemed to have other plans. Feng Ruo Zhang suddenly stood up, announcing that the celebrations would continue on the lake where they had prepared a few large boats for everyone to mingle and enjoy the lakeview. As people started getting up and heading out to the boats, Su Jing Fei lingered a bit behind. She had only drank one cup of wine, but her body had begun to warm up a bit. Most likely the result of the drug that had been put in the wine.

“Su xiaojie does not look so well afterall,” came a low voice from beside her. Li Wei Sheng’s polite smile never left his face as he continued speaking. “Perhaps Su xiaojie has not fully recovered from her illness.”

Su Jing Fei bowed respectfully before him. Yize stepped away to give the two a little space. “This lowly one thanks the imperial prince for his concern. However, perhaps his concern is better suited for the Feng xiaojie.” She glanced ahead, having noticed Feng Eu Mei watching them with a dark expression.

Li Wei Sheng didn’t bother to follow Su Jing Fei’s gaze and continued chatting without a care. “Does Su xiaojie dislike this imperial prince?” He seemed amused by the thought of it.

She, however, was not going to play this game nor become his shield against Feng Eu Mei. “The imperial prince jests. This lowly one does not dare.” Su Jing Fei replied calmly, but she widened her steps, hoping to deter Li Wei Sheng from following her. However, Li Wei Sheng matched his strides to Su Jing Fei’s pace and kept up effortlessly. His annoying persistence irritated Su Jing Fei.

“Perhaps Su xiaojie prefers master Shao over this imperial prince,” spoke Li Wei Sheng as his lips curved into a rather mischievous smile for just a moment. “Su xiaojie was not as cold to master Shao as she is to this imperial prince.”

Su Jing Fei knew that Li Wei Sheng was clearly teasing her. ‘Shao’ was the name that Li Wei Sheng had used while disguised in Xia-Wu. A little fed up with keeping a polite facade, she replied with an honest answer.“This lowly one definitely can appreciate a man like master Shao. A man knows how to stop his pursuit in the face of opposition is a man who can respect a woman.” Meaning she wished Li Wei Sheng would leave her alone.

Li Wei Sheng’s eyes flashed with amusement, chuckling just a little bit at her veiled insult within a praise. “This one also prefers the courtesan from Xia-Wu. She was quite enticing with her words.”

Su Jing Fei was about to retort something when she noticed Feng Eu Mei and Feng Ru Weng making their way to them. The polite smile returned to her face as she greeted them. Feng Eu Mei suddenly stepped forward, cozying up to Su Jing Fei’s side as she began speaking. “This one couldn’t find Su xiaojie so this one returned quickly to find Su xiaojie in hopes she wasn’t lost!” The pretty lies left her smiling lips effortlessly, and she feigned surprise when taking notice of Li Wei Sheng. Her cheeks became tinged with a pinkish hue, making her look quite innocent and cute. “Oh! This lowly one did not notice the imperial prince! Please for this lowly one’s rudeness!” She moved quickly to prostrate herself before Li Wei Sheng, dragging along Su Jing Fei whose arm was hooked in her’s.

Su Jing Fei’s skin seemed to burn a little as her clothes rubbed against her skin where she was being forcibly pulled; however, her face was kept carefully neutral as she stood her ground and didn’t allow for Feng Eu Mei to pull her down as well. This unexpected strength from Su Jing Fei caused Feng Eu Mei to trip over her own feet and fall to the ground.

“Su Jing Fei! How dare you push my sister!” Feng Ru Wang yelled angrily, moving quickly to Feng Eu Mei’s side to help her up.

Feng Eu Mei’s face reddened as she hadn’t expected to be the one who fell so clumsily. She had hooked her arm into Su Jing Fei’s arm purposefully! With the drug they had given her, Su Jing Fei should be stumbling about like a drunken idiot right now! But the hateful woman was still standing and even conversing happily with the imperial prince! Feng Eu Mei was so angry that she wanted to give Su Jing Fei a hard slap right then and there, but she couldn’t in Li Wei Sheng’s company so she gritted her teeth and bore the humility with a strained smile. “It was an accident, older brother. Su xiaojie surely did not mean to push me.”

Su Jing Fei smiled down at Feng Eu Mei. “This one does not dare to do such a thing. However, Feng xiaojie’s face seems a little flushed. Perhaps you’ve had a bit too much of the plum wine. This one will fetch you some water.” Before Feng Eu Mei could object, Su Jing Fei had stopped a nearby servant to ask for a cup of water. Once the servant returned, Su Jing Fei returned to the others; Feng Eu Mei was standing next to her brother tugging at his sleeve. It looked like Feng Eu Mei had tried to get them to leave Su Jing Fei behind, but Li Wei Sheng had waited for Su Jing Fei. Maybe he was a little useful sometimes, thought Su Jing Fei. She smiled at the three of them as she returned. “Here, hopefully this water can help Feng xiaojie feel better.”

“This one already feels better!” spoke Feng Eu Mei quickly, refusing the cup as she kept out of Su Jing Fei’s reach.

Suddenly, Li Wei Sheng spoke up, surprising them all. “If Feng xiaojie is refusing, then this one will help himself. I was feeling quite parched as well.” He began reaching for the cup from Su Jing Fei’s hands, but Feng Eu Mei was just a bit quicker as she suddenly grabbed the cup and downed the whole thing quickly.

“This one suddenly felt thirsty! I thank Su xiaojie for her kindness,” Feng Eu Mei said quickly as she finished the cup of water and gave it to a servant to take away. “If the imperial prince is still thirsty, then this one will gladly bring you a new cup!”

Su Jing Fei wanted to laugh at Feng Eu Mei’s eagerness to serve Li Wei Sheng; the young woman wasn’t quite as sly with her actions and words as she probably hoped to be. Feng Ru Weng noticed his sister’s awkward actions and stepped in to hopefully change the situation. “This one hopes the imperial prince does not take offense. My little sister is still quite spoiled after all, but she means no harm.”

“There is no need to worry,” Li Wei Sheng replied with a polite smile. “The water was intended for Feng xiaojie originally. It was I who selfishly took advantage of the opportunity.”

“This lowly one thanks the imperial prince for his kindness and understanding,” said Feng Ru Weng with a respectful gesture. “Please let this one repay for your kindness by accompanying you to the boats.”

“Of course,” Li Wei Sheng replied with a smile as he returned the respectful gesture. “This one has heard many good things about the Feng family’s boats. Fresh air would also be nice.”

Feng Ru Weng wasted no time and began leading them to the boats where everyone had gathered. The boats were much larger than Su Jing Fei had expected; they were similar to the large yachts of modern time rather than the small rowing boats that she had expected them to be. The Feng family’s wealth was quite clearly displayed in the beautiful crafted boats that swayed with the tides of the lake. Feng Ru Wang seemed quite proud as he strolled to the biggest boat and led them aboard, excitedly explaining to Li Wei Sheng the boat’s impressive design and features.

Feng Eu Mei lingered beside Su Jing Fei, glaring at the latter with intense hatred. Su Jing Fei smiled back at her, and Feng Eu Mei felt her irritation grow. She had kept a gentle and kind demeanor in front of everyone for most of her life, and yet Su Jing Fei seemed to grate on Feng Eu Mei’s nerves like no other. If it wasn’t for Li Wei Sheng, Feng Eu Mei would’ve put Su Jing Fei in her place a long time ago!

Su Jing Fei could see the anger in Feng Eu Mei’s strained expression, but she kept a calm demeanor, feigning ignorance. “Feng xiaojie’s face seems a little flushed. Perhaps, this one shall go fetch another cup of water.”

Feng Eu Mei’s eyes flashed with anger at remembering the humiliation, but the young woman had seemingly reigned back her emotions as she replied in a soft voice. “This one thanks Su xiaojie for her kindness. Actually, this one hasn’t been feeling well for awhile and hopes Su xiaojie can accompany her to get some fresh air.”

“Of course.” Su Jing Fei replied with a smile as Feng Eu Mei led them to a standing area near the edge of the boat.

Feng Eu Mei seemed a little distracted as the boat began to take off from the lakeside, floating further into the lake. A bit of music could be heard from the livelier part of the boat; curiously, no one approached the two of them. “This one hopes Su xiaojie can forgive me,” Feng Eu Mei said in a gentle tone. Her face showed an apologetic expression. “This one has always admired the imperial prince, and so this one acted a little bit irritational earlier. I hope Su xiaojie can accept my apology.”

Su Jing Fei wondered how much of the words did Feng Eu Mei actually mean. Her apology seemed quite strange, but her admission at holding feelings for Li Wei Sheng seemed honest enough. “Feng xiaojie does not need to worry. One does not hold grudges for such simple matters.”

Feng Eu Mei felt a little frightened by Su Jing Fei’s words; the other woman’s smile always gave her an uncomfortable feeling, as though there was something dark concealed behind that polite facade. Feng Eu Mei gave a small smile, but her eyes looked beyond Su Jing Fei’s figure and to the servant who was steadily making their way towards them.

The servant moved forward in a rush, making brief eye contact with Feng Eu Mei just before she reached them. With a quick shove, the servant pushed Su Jing Fei over the edge of the railing. However, she didn’t expect Su Jing Fei to step closer to Feng Eu Mei who had tried to distance herself; thus, when Su Jing Fei was pushed, Feng Eu Mei had gotten pushed as well, stumbling a bit before also falling over the edge of the boat.

“Da xiaojie!” came the loud cries from Yize and Feng Eu Mei’s personal yatou as they watched their masters fall into the dark waters underneath.

Su Jing Fei felt her body pierce through the cold surface of the lake as she became submerged underneath. Her body burned at the water rushing across her skin, making her struggle to swim properly to the surface. She knew that the Feng siblings had spiked her drink with an aphrodisiac after the first few minutes of finishing the plum wine; luckily, she had brought along a countering drug that had been able to interfere and dampen the effects of the aphrodisiac to a tolerable level. However, what she hadn’t anticipated was the dehabiliting effect of heightened sensitivity in her skin. She was sure she’d drown if she couldn’t push through the pain to move properly, but just as the air in her lungs ran out, a dark figure broke through the surface of the water, moving quickly towards her.

33