Enter Third Miss, Lan’er
2.9k 7 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hongyue was dumbfounded with his response. She stood frozen, gaping back at the Crown Prince.

Oh.

No wonder her father wanted to kill her.

It's because of this guy.

Sometimes in competitive households like these, the parent will display the utmost amount of affection towards the child they disliked to protect the real child they favor. She already began to suspect that he needed her alive to allow her to play the puppet. It appeared like the reason he wanted to kill her was entirely his plan to enable the child he truly favored to have the prince. She took another careful glimpse of the prince.

He had glossy long black hair, pale skin, with stormy grey eyes. He wore silver robes flowing elegantly with gold thread racing the edges. His eyes peered back at her as they could look right into her heart. She glanced away.

Dangerous.

She wasn't interested.

The Crown Prince watched on with interest. When was the last time someone didn't look at him with worship: never. Yet here, the known useless miss didn't even spare him another glance.

The general's face darkened at the prince's response.

Hongyue smiled and quickly spoke out, "Your Highness, please consider taking back your words. This maiden is simple-minded and is not worthy of your devotion."

Noting the right flow of events, the general quickly added on, "Yes, please reconsider. I have plenty more daughters for you to choose from. Hongyue is too weak, she has no power. She won't be able to do much to support you for the throne."

The Crown Prince narrowed his eyes at the general's quick ejection. He turned back and glanced at the Hongyue. This household was starting to look more and more questionable. He was about to speak when Hongyue suddenly looked up oddly at her father.

"Father, tell the Crown Prince more so he can get to know my sisters."

The general nodded at her suggestion, this child is at least sensible. Too bad she'll have to die early. He really can't keep her around. He already tried poisoning her, spent years plotting against her, and directly harming her. This wretch seemed to have some sort of protection from the gods; she truly was blessed.

"Hongyue, go get your third sister Lan'er. Tell her to come quickly."

Hongyue nodded.

Ah.

At last, she knew the motive of her father's hatred towards her.

----------------

Lan'er was the daughter of Concubine Mei. This third sister of her was also the same age as Hongyue: 16 years. She was quiet, with rosy complexion equipped with a sensible mindset.

The third miss listened as her servant recited today's events to her, frowning as the maid continued to talk.

Turning her focus blankly ahead, she released a sigh. She pitied her elder sister. Lan'er had no interest in the marriage nor her father's love, yet her mother proceeded to do all those foolish things anyway. Lan'er quite liked her elder sister, but that was all until everything started to change. Their childhood together was the end of delightful memories when her father decided that he would do what he thought was the best for her by poisoning Hongyue.

When they were younger, Hongyue was more outspoken and firmly stood by what she believed to be right while Lan'er was withdrawn and did what she was told.

While different, the two sisters had still cared for each other.

"Third Miss, the Eldest Miss, is here to take you to meet the Crown Prince. This opportunity...The Master truly loves you."

Lan'er frowned. Her father was a heartless man. What others might not know, she knew the best. He didn't truly love her, he just favored her more since he believes she's a perfect puppet. He promptly separated her and her elder sister to train her more individually. By forcing her into being his puppet, Lan'er became proficient in poetry, dancing, and making tea. She also grew to be a 5th-grade enchantress. So much talent just sadly, it wasn't her own choice.

However, she let herself deliberately be trained in order to save her sister. Lan'er knew she owed Hongyue at least that much. With power came more self-will.

Lan'er snipped off a stalk of the rose in front of her. The rosebud fell quietly to the grass, creating a tense atmosphere.

She hadn't seen her sister since their father separated the two and poisoned Hongyue. After secretly witnessing her father harming her sister, Lan'er became more self-aware and started establishing her own foundation inside the manor. The third miss ran her finger against one of the thorns. She watched the blood ooze out in tranquility, pleased at the pain it brought her.

However, she didn't think her father would begin this plan so early, Lan'er frowned.

This time she would protect her older sister.

The third miss snipped off another rose from the vine and mildly blew at her finger.

"Prepare my coat. Let us meet with my sister."

61