Live Well, What Does That Mean?
2.6k 6 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I...am Hongyue," The siren halfling muttered uncertainly.

Her words sounded so weak against the oppressive silence in the room.

She didn't understand.

No, the truth was— she couldn't understand. She always been a creature in constant pain and without a feeling heart.

Now, it doesn't matter anymore. Since that soul was entirely out of the body, she should be relaxed.

Still, she couldn't help but sneer.

Shouldn't the human seek to take revenge? Shouldn't she be mad that an evil killer such as a sirenic halfling was able to get a second chance with her body while she, a genuine human, wasn't able to live long under her own father's scheming?

What I hope you live well? Who could live past a day in this manor of death?

It was nonsense...and weak.

Weak.

That human's way of thinking was so weak!

She shouldn't have just given up her body to her, a bloodthirsty sirenic child!

Hongyue slammed her hand on the table. A burst of blue poured out from her palm and surrounded the table, forcing it to break into pieces. The pieces flew everywhere, and Hongyue's hand was covered in cuts from the shattered wood. A single trail of blood rolled down to her fingertips.

Live well?

Why?

Why worry about me when you're already so far gone yourself.

Hongyue's eyes widened. She hesitated before placing her hand over her heart. She always felt that spot in the past.

Her cold hands over her heart, exploring the hefty pounds of a stable heartbeat. What was it that made her so different? Didn't the hearts of all the other creatures beat the same?

While it beat non-stop, she never felt any other emotions other than distrust and disgust.

But...concern.

Had she been worried about a mere human? Concerned about the vile creatures that always harmed her? No! These emotions were a sign of weakness. She reached for a chair nearby before smashing it apart, venting out her mind. Hongyue huffed in frustration. She didn't need all these emotions.

"I'll be the only one hurt in the end."

Hongyue slowly regained her thoughts and let out a sigh. In the end, that human had dispersed her soul so Hongyue wouldn't have any more trouble completely controlling the body. That proved she was telling the truth, a truth even Hongyue couldn't lie to herself about even if she wanted to.

"Fine...I'll live well for you!"

Hongyue whirled her fingers in a curve, and the air around her condensed about her body. The pressure carefully built up before her figure vanished in thin air.

Hongyue reappeared upon a tree branch far from her residence. She sat quietly and studied the servants around her, eavesdropping on their conversations.

In this world, there seemed to be different grades of power. The highest would be the 15th grade. The higher that grade you controlled, the more powerful you were considered. The way they employed their power was different from her usual style.

The users were called enchanters/enchantresses. It appeared that those who cast spells had high power, but in truth, what they were doing was merely asking for blessings from the elements around them.

For example, Concubine Mei, as a nature enchantress, it just implies that the concubine needed to chant a blessing. As a reply to her plea, the plants around her present her their power for her use.

In short, this suggests these magic users were simply borrowing power, which also means that the power they practiced needed to be around them as well as have consent from their elements for the spells to even form.

Hongyue smiled. Her power from her world was different. Her ability came directly from an ancient god bloodline that rested within her soul.

If she were to compare...this would give her a great advantage as long as it remained a hidden component.

She tilted her head, listening earnestly.

There were five different magic users.

Nature.

Light.

Air.

Earth.

Darkness.

Water and fire weren't an element a magic-user could connect to due to the fact the two elements seem to have a will of their own, and the two components weren't always around for use.

Hongyue smirked.

That's where they are wrong, she thought, water is everywhere. In their bodies, blood, and even in the air.

However, the element of fire was a different challenge. Even Hongyue herself didn't know who could control it. As she waited, she heard the events that went on when she was unconscious. She counted her fingers lazily as she recounted the conversations.

1. The concubine did go crazy, but she didn't die. Someone had saved her.

2. The general thought his eldest daughter died, so there were no servants around her section of the manor. He also didn't call for a doctor, implying he was very confident in the poison he gave her.

3. The general was currently in a tight spot, and he's presently being pressured by the emperor for a significant token the general had.

4. Minster Rui, the father of Concubine Mei and the general, are now enemies with each other.

5. She was currently hungry.

Hongyue frowned, eyeing a chicken leg that sat on a lavish platter surrounded with chunks of oily meat. The plate sat on the hands of a servant who was carrying the Third Miss's meal below her. Hongyue felt her stomach growling aggressively.

She really wanted to steal it.

After all, it wasn't like they were planning to feed her at any time.

Hongyue shook her head. She really couldn't think clearly with her hunger.

Live well.

The words popped back into her mind and echoed in her head.

"If I'm hungry, then I'm not living well."

Hongyue raised her right hand before she paused. She was about to kill the servant when she frowned.

Too rash.

Why was she hesitating so much today?

She slowly dropped her hand. Instead, she leaped down from the tree, kicking the side of the tree, propelling her body. As she swirled in the air, her robes floated about beautifully. She landed elegantly in front of the servant.

The servant holding the plate widened his eyes in amazement.

A goddess.

He stood in shock.

Hongyue was indeed a natural beauty. Pale skin, ruby lips, and coal-black hair. Her eyes narrowed before she snatched the plate away and utilized a nearby stone garden decoration to jump over the manor wall toward her residence.

Her quick escape left the servant in shock. What just happened? Did a beauty come out of nothing just to steal food? What kind of goddess was she, taking food like that? He shook his head when he realized what happened.

He was doomed, that plate belonged to the third miss, Lan'er.

What was he going to say? That a beauty came out of the sky, so he thought she was a goddess and allowed her to snatch away the food.

He fainted.

Today wasn't a good day at all.

58