Into The Fire
1.1k 14 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jiayi couldn't help feeling further conflicted in his heart. While her words held the truth, there was an even bigger gamble in setting the entire royal garden on fire. When that time comes, would she be able to deal with it?

He sighed.

He wanted to prevent it, but at the same time, he also wanted to see it with his own eyes. There was a toxic temptation in witnessing the change of events created by this eldest miss's two hands.

"Why should I do as you say?" Jiayi responded calmly, "The only one in this entire palace with power over fire is me. The first they will suspect would be me. Am I not just harming myself?"

Hongyue sneered, "Oh? I guess candles don't exist then. Do I have to lay out my entire plan for you to see? Royal Pervert, you'll need my cooperation in the future. Think of this as another early investment."

"It's not common fire," Not being able to rebut her, he sighed, "The consequences are uncontrollable."

All the better.

Hongyue wanted it that way.

Seeing her firm stance without changing her mind, Jiayi could only carry out her wish. Shifting out his hand, a trail of fire immediately rushed out from his fingers and onto the bed of flowers. The flames spread quickly and wildly as they devoured everything in their path.

It wasn't long before the entire garden was filled with the vivid red color and the scorching heat it brought with it.

Hongyue stood still as she watched the whole thing burst up in flames. She observed the frantic curling of the petals as they closed up and the scent of the smoke that was released as they burned, the blazing balls of what used to be called flowers, and the once colorful scenery being embraced by the fiery wall of destruction. She listened to the raspy crackle of the dying flowers around her.

The destruction, death, and beauty.

The once majestic scenery melting in the roar of red.

How beautiful.

Now to the next step, Hongyue turned to Jiayi with a strange smile adorned on her face, "To what extent does your father know about your magic abilities?"

Jiayi thought for a moment before answering directly, "He knows."

It was a short answer, but it provided everything she needed to know. It was a warning that the emperor wasn't a fool. The first one he would turn to in this fire situation would be Jiayi. Hongyue nodded as she thought it through, "Then it looks like you need to come with me to erase your tracks."

Jiayi frowned at her answer, "Go with you, where?"

Hongyue gave him a cheerful smile.

"Into the fire."

*****

"Fire! Please help! Fire!"

Loud calls for help seemed to echo throughout the palace and the within courtyards. The calls were from frantic palace maids were hurrying to put out the fire.

"Hurry! Put out the fire!"

Efforts of collecting water and dampening quilts could be seen along with the heavy sound of racing feet as the palace servants desperately tried to put out the fire.

"Hurry up! Before it spreads!"

The excessive clinking of armor indicated that even the palace guards were on-site in order to put out the fire. Suddenly a palace maid screamed out loudly. With her trembling finger, she quickly cried out, "There are people inside the fire!"

One of the guards was stunned to hear her scream, "What?! How could there be people inside?! Hurry up! Save them!"

As he turned around to grab a bucket of water, he bumped into the emperor. Shaking in fear at his imprudent actions, he quickly gave his greetings. "Y-your majesty."

Suddenly a loud outcry came from behind him, "It's the third prince! And it looks like the eldest miss of the Wei family is here as well!"

Quickly, the emperor elbowed the guard away from his view. His eyes landed on the two figures with tattered and charred clothes. His eyes trembled as he took in their injuries. Hurrying over to Jiayi, he found that his son was in some sort of trance and couldn't be awakened. Hearing a raspy cough from beside him, he turned in time to see Hongyue's round fearful eyes staring at him but at the same time not at him.

Her pale face was covered in soot, and the ends of her hair were scorched. Her cracked lips opened and closed, releasing a coughing fit.

"T-there were black figures. They were hiding in the garden-," A cough, "W-wanted us dead-," Without any warning, Hongyue's eyes rolled back, and her head fell limp. Distressed by this sudden change in events, the emperor ordered the guards to get a physician. He appeared to have thought of something, and he turned to one of his aides abruptly.

"Where is the Empress?"

The aide kneeled, "Answering your majesty, she's currently in the Phoenix Courtyard."

Phoenix Courtyard.

That was the farthest courtyard from the fire. Did she scheme this up? She dared to kill his son and not only that, the eldest miss too. Didn't he make it clear no one was to touch her?!!

"Would you like this servant to go get her?"

With raging eyes, he shook his head, "No need."

If she did it, she'd come naturally.

All while the chaos was occurring, no one seemed to notice a little black snake on the ground, slithering away, approaching the direction of the first explosion Hongyue created.

Fufu~ What's this? Another perfect acting? How will the emperor handle this?

35