Chapter 14
188 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Discord: https://discord.gg/CWDycd8


 

I summoned a flame of judgment and threw it at the closest goblin and then activated vengeful penance. I felt my body pulse as a wave of heat rush through my veins. The wave of power that came after the head was intoxicating. My muscles felt more alive than ever have before. I gritted my teeth and gripped my dagger tightly in my hand. What was I going to do? I quickly moved backward, trying to create distance between myself and them as I racked my mind with a plan.

I decided the best course of action would be to attack the goblin with the club. It was the biggest threat to me. I cast chains of requital again and threw it at the goblin that was desperately trying to swat out the flames that were crawling up its flesh. I dropped the chain and glanced at my mana bar. It was draining at an alarming rate. I needed to end this as quickly as possible, lest I run out of combat resources.

I rushed forward and spun the dagger in my hand. The goblin flashed me a wicked smile and raised its club hight into the air. I had to time this right if I wanted this to work. I wasn’t as fast as I wanted to be, but I had to force myself to move if I didn’t want to be incapacitated by that club. I waited until the last second to sidestep the club, and I shot the dagged forward and into the goblin's stomach and gave it a hard twist.

It let out an indignant screech and swung its club in a hard backswing. Sadly my speed failed me this time, and it caught me in the stomach. My health bar dropped, and the air was forced from my lungs. Pain shot through me, and my vision blurred slightly from the force of the impact. I took a step back and wiped a bit of blood that trickled from my lips. That hurt far more than it should have. But that must have been the passive at work. My health was still at a decent level so that I could fight. But I was still going to be in a lot of pain.

I glanced over to the goblin that was in the chains and then to my mana bar. It was almost empty, so I had to rely on my stamina to carry me through this. I did not want the added issue of being debilitated due to being mana starved. I dismissed the chains and then my passive and took a deep breath through my nose. It was time to end this.

I sidestepped the wild swing of the club and cut across the goblin’s arm with my dagger. Dark red blood poured from the wounds that were now covering the goblin. It growled and flashed its teeth and let out a series of strange growls in its language. I glanced around and saw that the other goblin was trying to charge me. I back peddled and threw my dagger at him. It was a stupid move, but I needed to try and even out the fight somehow.

The dagger soared through the air and impacted its throat with a wet crunch, and the goblin crumpled into a broken heap. I quickly turned my attention over to the remaining monster. It was heavily slowed from the wound Inflicted on it earlier, which was good. I glanced at my mana bar and saw that it was very slowly inching its way up. Not enough for me to use it as long as I normally do, but it was still something. I activated Vengeful Penance once more and rushed across the ground. It let loose a string of growls and rose its club. I had to time this carefully, or else this was it for me. I bared my nails and fainted, a charge, which caused the greenskin to swing its club down. I waited for the club to finish its swing before I jumped off the ground and threw my entire body weight into it, causing it to fall backward. I brought my nails across its face with all of the strength I could muster. They pierced its skin and punctured its eyeballs, causing it to shriek and buck like a wild animal. I kept scratching while trying to stay on top of it to keep it from getting back up.

After a few minutes, the goblin stopped struggling, and I rolled off of it in an exhausted heap. My heart was pounding roughly in my chest, and it was difficult to catch a breath. My body ached all over, and my stomach was throbbing, where the club caught me. I sat on the ground and winced as small sparks of pain worked its way up my body in small undulating waves. Let's see what I got from that fight.

Titles Earned: Savagery II: You fight like a blood-crazed beast. Grants an increase in damage to skills related to the body.

Taste of Vengeance I: You walk a path wrought with retribution. Will you maintain your sanity? Grants an increase in damage dealt with the Vengeful penance passive.

Skills earned:

Basic Dagger Proficiency I: Increases damage dealt by daggers by 1%.

Basic Accuracy II: Has been unlocked increases accuracy by 2%.

Basic Hand to Hand combat proficiency I: Increases damage dealt by 1%

Basic Chains of Requital II has been unlocked.

Basic Pain Tolerance I has been unlocked.

Stats Increased:

+1 Agility

+1 Dexterity

+2 Strength

+1 Focus

 

Congratulations, you have reached level two in the retributer class. You have unlocked five stat points.

Class bonuses have been increased slightly in turn.

 

That was not a bad haul. I glanced at my status screen and glanced at numbers before decided to turn them off. I wasn’t good at math, to begin with, so they would only serve as a hindrance later on as I tried to calculate them.

I had five attribute points, so what did I want to fold them into? I dropped one point into intelligence for the magic damage. I then placed a point into each of my major attributes, bringing me down to just one point left. After thinking it over, I decided to place it into agility. I wanted to be quicker on my feet. It should help me out in the long run; after all, they can't kill what they can't hit.

I didn't learn any skills yet, but I’ll wait until I hit a milestone before worrying about it. But I didn't know what the milestone was in a rare class. So I guess it was just a waiting game for now. I stood up and rummaged through the pockets of the dead goblins that had clothes. I managed to collect a total of thirty copper from them and three necklaces and a sword. Once I gathered the items, I went back to where my bag was stashed, placed all the items in it, and sat down next to it. The pain was still very much alive, so I took a few moments to rest. I pulled out a minor health potion and quickly drank it. These things tasted dreadful. It was like I was drinking a very tart fruity drink. I finished it off and placed the bottle back in my bag. I could either resell it or have it refilled, so best to save it for later. I rummaged through my bag once more and pulled out some travel rations, and munched mindlessly on it while I opened my status screen once more.

I could switch my classes at will. So let's see what I can do with it. I shifted my class from Retributer to Assassin as an experiment. I felt part of my brain become clouded in a deep fog, and for a few seconds, I forgot how to use my abilities. After around five seconds of feeling lost and empty, everything came rushing back to me.

I opened up my status screen, and new things were there for me to look at.

Skills learned:

Basic Backstab I: Once activated, your next critical strike will deal twice the regular amount. This bonus is lost if you are detected or your critical strike misses.

Basic Invisibility: This active-passive allows you to blend into the environment around you. Attacking or getting attacked deactivates this passive for a time.

Basic Blink I: Allows you to cross a short distance, almost instantaneously. Current travel distance: 1.5 meters.

Basic Trap disarming: Gives the user knowledge of basic traps and how to disable them.

Passives Learned:

Basic Trap Sense: It allows you to detect traps of magical nature. Weak at lower levels, will gradually turn more powerful as it levels up.

Basic Noise Reduction: Reduces the noise the user makes by a small amount.

Class bonuses:

3% increase to critical strike damage

3% flat increase to stealth

3% Increase to trap deactivation speed

2% flat increase to movement speed

 

I glanced through my status screen and saw that the skills I had for being a Retributer had vanished; out of curiosity, I tested to see if I could still use them. I went through the motions of summoning my fireball, and a second later, it hummed softly in my hands, and a smile crossed my face. This was good. I could still use skills from other classes. The only downsides were that my class bonuses were removed and replaced with what I had currently equipped.

So other class skills could potentially suffer if I am not careful. I also still had access to the stats that I earned from leveling up, which was also very good. However, it seemed a little broken, in my opinion. Still, people who were higher level than me could potentially have more stats, simply due to mastering whatever classes they had at their disposal so that I wouldn’t be invincible. However, I would still be formidable in turn. I shifted back to my Retributer class and brought up a separate screen of all the skills that I currently possessed, which was a large amount. In the Assassin class, I would use most of the skills, but I would skip over the traps. At least for now. The little goblins were not known for their trap making skills after all.

Blink would be the biggest boon for me since a large issue I had was moving around and closing gaps safely. I stood up and decided to test blink out. Let's see what this new skill could do, and after I mastered it, it was back to hunting.

3