3
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I don’t get way we all had to ride together.” I complained while cramped between Elvio and Simidh in the back of a taxicab, on our way to see Dexter. “Your big butts are crushing me, I can’t breathe!” I said trying and failing at making room.

“Shouldn’t you be glad we’re sharing a cab, it’s not like you have money to get a ride anyway.” Elvio said unbothered, typing on his phone.

“I’m fine with this, now I know for a fact that you guys won’t cheat.” Sim said, while looking out the window, watching scenery pass by.

Us cheat? As if. The only cheater here is Simidh.

Elvio and I glanced at one another before giving Sim a blank look.

“I can literally feel your eyes on me.” They said, looking away from the window and back at us. “What you guys play unfair.” They said with a shrug.

“The last time we had a race, you killed the dude the day before.” I said as the taxi pulled to a stop in front of a grey warehouse, with no windows and a black door.

“That wasn’t my fault, how was I supposed to know that Jared and Jared were one in the same.” Simidh says as they exit the taxi.

“By the pictures, obviously.” I rolled my eyes and got out after them. Sim and I made our way to the black door, while Elvio was paying for the taxi.

“I would blame it on the fact that Jared had a twin, if you didn’t kill them both.” Elvio says as walks over and the taxi drives off, he reaches for the keypad that’s hanging down from the ceiling by the door, and punches in the code that unlocks the door.

“Ladies first.” Elvio says as he holds the door open for me. I smile at him and as I’m about to walk through the door, Sim pushes me out of the way and runs inside.

“Hey, you aren’t even a lady.” I yelled after them, laughing as I ran to catch up to them. The warehouse is basically empty on the first floor, and a little dark if it wasn’t for the floor lights, I wouldn’t be able to see where I’m going.

“Gender is fluid, and I’m a faster runner then both of you.” They say as they make a sharp right turn, and run up the stairs.

“Whatever, you totally cheated.” I say grasping for air, I wasn’t even half way up the stairs yet. I’d never been so glad that the warehouse only had two floors.

“No way!! How did you get up here before me.” Simidh said in disbelief. I walked very slowly into the room, where everyone happened to be and laid down on the couch that was closest to where Dexter was sitting.

“Remember when Dexter broke his leg, and couldn’t exactly walk up the stairs. While a few months ago, he had an elevator installed.” Elvio said, in his usual monotone voice.

“You’re kidding, I ran up all those stairs for nothing.” I said, as I got more comfortable on the couch.

“Didn’t you give up halfway?” Simidh said in a mocking tone.

“Oh shut up, killing people is the only reason I have to exercise.” I said in a sad voice.

“Not that I want you killing people, but why aren’t you?” Dexter says in confusion as he spins his chair to face us. Dexter is our tech savvy teen, that we kind of adopted when we killed his abusive foster parents. He’s been apart of the family for three years.

The one rule we live by is not harming children. The fact that the kid happened to know his way around technology was just an added bonus.

“Sim and Nerissa are having a bet, they wanted to see how long she can go without killing anyone, however since we’re now having a race. Winner gets Zeric’s life savings.” Elvio says really fast, so he can get to the point.

Dexter shakes his head at us, and leans back in his chair and reaches his hand over to his keyboard to press a button. “Okay. Here’s the thing, Zeric Collins has little to no carbon footprint. It’s like the dude doesn’t exist.”

“What does that mean? You weren’t able to find anything on him.” I sat up in disbelief.

“I didn’t say that.” Dexter replies, and turns his chair back to the computer. “I can see all the normal stuff about him, like his height, age and school records. However when I try to look deeper. I get absolutely nothing. It’s like he finished school and decided to live under a bridge.” He said in frustration, he took his hands off the keyboard and just frowned at the screen.

Dexter’s is usually able to to find anyone, especially being able to get the dirt on someone.

“I don’t like this, maybe you living souls should just find a new target.” Dexter said with worry in his voice.

“It’s not like this is the first time you haven’t been able to find dirt on someone.” Simidh said, kneeling down a little to look Dexter in the eyes. Simidh places his hand on Dexter’s shoulder, and gives him a reassuring pat and smile.

“Either way I’m going to hack the parties cameras, just so I can keep an eye on you living souls” Dexter says nodding his head in agreement with himself.

“What’s with this living souls?” Elvio says with a chuckle.

“Well I can’t really say guys.” Dexter said as he gestured to Sim, “and cool cats is super lame. Living souls sounds like you guys could be vigilantes or something.”

“He’s not wrong.” I said smiling at him and positioning myself to sit on the couch correctly.

“Speaking of the party, did you get anything on it?” Elvio asked, getting back to business as usual.

“That’s weird too, other then a few invites, dress code and the guest list. I got almost nothing.” Dexter pouted at us and crossed his arms. “Oh yeah, the party is being held, at some fancy museum.”

“Oh my gosh, I love art people.” Sim said, in a happy go lucky voice.

“You do?” I questioned.

“Yeah, their so stuck up. It’s so much fun pretending to be one of them.” They laughed as they said it. Simidh had clearly done this before.

“You can really see the use of sliver. He put into the painting, almost like he wants us the audience to sliver ourselves.” Simidh mocked, while continuing to laugh.

“Right...” I trailed off giving Simidh a weird look, and looking towards Elvio.

“So, you can’t find anything on the party however they have cameras?” Elvio asked Dexter, raising an eyebrow slightly, and looking at his questionably.

Dexter shuffled his feet a little, looks away and muttered “I was thinking of setting cameras on you people..”

“You want us to wear cameras.” I said, with what we do, that’s a horrible idea. Especially with Simidh the king of losing things. The last thing we need is evidence floating around.

“Just so I can keep an eye out.” He says trying to defend the idea.

Simidh had stopped laughing, at their lame joke and had their full attention on everyone in the room.

“You know what we do, and especially with these idiots. You think they’ll remember they have it on, or what if someone hacks the footage?” Elvio said sounding deadly calm, which was kind of scary.

“You can’t hack a camera.” I said trying to get Elvio to back off a little.

He glances at me.

“You can if it’s wireless.”

“Then it won’t be, I’ll come with you guys.” Dexter says looking at us, hopelessly, and filled of worries.

“Absolutely not, like you said we’re going in blind. What if things go south? What if another Todd happens.” I said to him.

“I don’t even know who that is.” He said in a small voice.

“I totally forgot about him, Todd was the worst. She’s right. You’re safe here.” Simidh says, smiling little.

“I’m right as well.” Elvio says walking away from Dexter and sitting next to me on the couch.

“I guess.” Dexter said defended, swinging his chair around he reached for a drawer on his left and pulled out three envelopes, and then swung back to face us.

“These are the invitations.” He said as he got up from his chair and started handing them out. “It’s basically a formal black tie event.” Dexter turns to slightly face the screen before reaching into his pocket and taking out a small black remote. He clicks to remote to show us the layout and all the windows and exits.

“Hey, what about the guards?” I say looking over the layout again, maybe I missed them or something.

“Yeah, they’re aren’t any. Apparently Luther Quest the dude, whose throwing the event wants it to be as private as possible, in the voice mail I was able to hear by chance. He said he’ll secure, he’s own security, and if anything got stolen. They could just sent him the bill.” Dexter said biting his lip and looking at the ground.

“Let me guess, you weren’t able to find any much on him either.” Elvio says looking more interested then ever.

“Yeah.” Dexter says in a quiet voice.

“So, basically we’re going to be partying with people that are internet ghost.” Simidh says with a yawn, I look over at them, and funny they don’t seem tired, but knowing them, they’re probably bored with all the talking going on.

“How many people will be there?” I asked, changing the topic.

“About hundred, give or take.” Dexter says looking at me, with a smile.

“Will you guys be showing up together? Or separate?” He asked us, looking rather giddy for some reason.

“It doesn’t really matter why?” Elvio asked him, looking at Dexter with curiosity.

“I got a limousine.” Dexter says nodding his head happily, and a little jump in his step.

“Simidh and I speak at the same time.

“Nice.”

“Dips.”

Elvio just stand up from the couch, and walks over to the door. “I’ll be arriving separately. Good luck you two.” And with that he’s gone.

1