Act Zero, Death
98 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Resolve to be a master of change, rather than a victim of change."
- Brian Tracy

The Auster dukedom was in mourning. Whenever they could, citizens wore black, out of respect and grief. A black haze had settled over the Auster manor: foreboding, dark and unapproachable. No guards could be seen outside the gates nor on top of the walls. It was an unnerving sight. In spite of that, the common men and women of Invicta continued on their daily lives, hoping that their future was still secure. After all, the only remaining members of the Auster Household were two children.

"Miss, I've brought food for you."

No reply. Not a peep could be heard. Even Kuro with her extreme senses could barely hear the faint breathing of her mistress. For several days now, the daughter of the Auster Household was in this tragic state. Food? Untouched. 

"Miss, I'm coming in."

The door opened soundlessly as she slipped inside, setting the tray of food on a table and creeping her way towards the bed. Waves of black strands were peeking from under the blanket, dishevelled from days of neglect. Before Kuro could say a word, a muffled, croaky voice stopped her.

"...leave."

She stopped and frowned.

"I'm afraid I cannot do that, Miss."

"Who is the master here? You, or me?"

Cordelia had never spoken in such an authoritative tone to her before. However, it did the job.

"Yes, Miss... I've left food for you on the table."

Silence.

"Miss?"

"I'm sorry Kuro... but please just leave me alone for a few more days. I'll..."

'...I'll pull myself together.'

Those words stayed in her heart as the door shut gently, leaving the girl to her own thoughts.

A funeral was held discreetly, only being open to close relatives, friends and acquaintances. In the midst of it all, a young Walker Auster was pushed into the position of Duke to stabilise the house properly. There were many affairs to be taken care of, people to be assigned and problems to be fixed. It was a tumultuous time. For everyone.

By the time the guests had left, only two figures were standing under the dying sky. As if expressing its grief, a light drizzle of rain greeted Emperor Julius and the new Duke Auster. The former cared not for his wet clothes while the latter, retaining some modicum of modesty, held out an umbrella for his Emperor.

"There is no need, boy. I shall be leaving soon."

He paused for a moment, looking over to the caskets. They were austere and plain, just like the people inside. 

"I made a deal with your father a long time ago. It's about time for me to uphold my side of the promise."

"..."

"The perpetrators of this incident... they're afraid of going after you two. All I have to say is that your parents have friends that aren't easy to provoke."

Something snapped.

"Then... then where were they two weeks ago!"

Blood dripped from Walker's fists, clenched so hard they drew crimson. By now, the light drizzle had transformed into a roaring barrage, lined with intermittent streaks of thunder. 

"All of this could have been prevented! So tell me, Your Imperial Majesty! Why?!"

He fell to his knees, the noir overcoat darkening as it absorbed the rain. Water dripped violently from the boy's bangs, shadowing his furious eyes. Emperor Julius remained outwardly apathetic. Only the slight pursing of his lips and the sorrow in his eyes could hint at the turmoil inside.

"I can't tell you much. All I have to say is that they had a disagreement prior to this. It turned out that was their biggest mistake, and before they could take action, everything was over. Do you understand?"

"Disagreement?... Disagreement?! Hahahaha!"

Hysteria set in. 

Above them, a curtain slowly opened. From beyond the darkness, a pair of vibrant, vermillion eyes watched everything unfold. It had been the first time in a week they saw light, so they squinted for the first few seconds. But those desolate cries were unmistakable. They were filled with a certain heartrending tragedy, and tinted with the filter of a young boy, barely past their puberty.

She held her hands to her mouth, droplets of crystal emanating from her eyes. Muffled sobs. Sniffles. Then nothing.

Tears drew down her face as she stared up into the sky, the feeling of phantom blood on her hands. She clenched her fists and closed her eyes. The newfound resolution blossomed from within her and propelled her legs. standing upright from her lying position. For the first time, she could see the path clearly. 

'It had always been a blur to me; I was always on the cusp of finding the answer and yet, in the next moment, it would fly away. But now, it's right in front of me.'

"I won't let go."


815 words
Written 07/01/21 (DD/MM/YY)

Shorter than usual. This is my way of getting chapters to you guys with significant but shorter contents. Online learning has started so most of my weekdays will be filled with that, but I'll try my best to write more chapters. Act Zero chapters will usually be shorter than normal chapters btw.

Have a nice day.

5