Episode One: Trapped (B)
11 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Holding my cure sample, she said, wrinkling her forehead, “I see… Why not use this already? It will cure you a hundred percent. Besides, this is your big chance to live freely.”

My face turned serious and lowered my voice in exasperation it went, “That one’s special. I am not the only one who survived that experimentation, many of us. Some died a few days later and some are still pushing through their limits. That one can save my life, but it will be too selfish of me to just keep it to myself. And… I may use it someday, to take on revenge. Once this cure I’m holding that contains that deadly virus those Germans injected us will come inside the guts of their leader, it will spread and kill every fucking single cell. That’s why it’s so special to me.”

“You still wanna go there and exterminate that old commander of Nazi? That’s just cracked! And for what purpose? To let them slaughter you like a helpless pig like what they’ve done to your family?” Her voice began filling the room as if I was hearing a roar of an angry lion being left out of her pride.

“It’s not my goal,” I answered, looking down, making her face as far away from my eyes as possible.

“Then what? Be a martyr? For you to be called a hero for risking your shitty life and we get nothing?” She again blurted out and heatedly.

“It is never my intention.” I replied as calm as the sea, still not on her level.

Sarcastically, she laughed, “Never your intention? You only think about yourself! The cure you’re into and the people just like you. For whom is this mission? For us? NO! You only do those things for yourse-“

“QUIT IT AND SHUT THE FUCK UP!” I cut by and exploded like a time bomb. Then, I gathered all the sealed test tubes sitting on the table and began slamming everything I’d bump into as I walked outside.

At the door, before stepping out, I looked back and said with a tone of disappointment, “Sometimes, people, even a best friend, will NEVER understand one’s situation. They will always cut me off and accuse me on something. On something I don’t really intend to do, though it’s really a good goal… I’ll just go fuck off then. Maybe, I’ll get to be your martyr after getting away from this fucked up place.”

I walked as fast as I could to reach home. I was in the worst temper and I could literally hurt anyone who gets in my way.

Until it becomes dark and taciturn outside, the stars flicker along with the full moon shining to guide everyone who comes in a blackout world. Guessing that it’s already past 10pm. I was still lonely planning the way I could get my butt outta here. Thus, I peeked through my grimy window and someone caught my attention… That crazy woman sitting alone on a boat near the river.

Rumours as they have said, the woman, namely Manang Mayana, was a Laguna Massacre survivor. Her family died along with the people living there in their barrio. Germans were furiously killing Filipinos for not telling them what they wanted to know, ‘the place where the professional biologists were’. Honestly, none of those folks knew what those troops were talking about, yet those heartless Germans still killed them all. Well, she’s the reason we’re all safe up here. And I knew that she knew everything. She could be the one who’d manage to take me there to the Germans. To end this mayhem, we’ve been running from, I must do what I ought to do.

I hurriedly packed everything inside my bag, my essentials, including my antidote samples… Just in case I’d get those seizures again. I wore my pulse meter on my wrist that’s thin, so I’d know when I needed to relax myself anytime I’d beep annoyingly.

I sighed in desolation. “I’m ready.”

I waited patiently until it’s 11pm, the great time to get myself outta here. Lights filling the darkness in this place were out. All were fast asleep and seemingly dreaming about everyone’s freedom. Gladly was I, there were only two guards for a lookout, but they’re far away from my home. A perfect time to end this.

I went outside and walked towards Manang Mayana, still wide awake like I.

“What are you up to, ineng?” She asked with a concerned face.

“You know where the Filipino troops are, right? Please, I need you to take me there. And don’t tell anyone I went out of town.” I told her and sat down beside her on her Bangka anchored beside the dry land.

“I know what those people think about you, Manang. But I believe you, that’s why this will be your mission to take me there. I wanna save us all, understand? So please, do me a favour.” I asked her as politely as I could. 

With that, her face brightened in optimism and finally replied, “Alright, I will accept the mission, ineng.”

 

. . . . . . . . . .

VOCAB CHECK!!

Manang - a pronoun used to address an older (female) person; older sister

Barrio - neighbourhood

Ineng - a pronoun used to address a younger (female) person; female child

Bangka - a small boat oftenly used by Filipino fishermen

2