Making Plans
672 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time that we got there to the restaurant, Ashley and Esme were already standing outside. Before we could even get out of my car, they were both there, ready to greet us.

            “It’s good to see you two. I was sure that you would end up canceling or something.” Ashley said as she hovered. Esme didn’t say anything, choosing to hug me instead. Sighing, I gave in and hugged her back.

            As we walked into the restaurant, a woman greeted us and showed us to our booth. It had been a good thing that I had given Esme the necklace that Eva gave me. I don’t know how she would have managed to sit at any table here. I was glad that the hostess had brought us to a table in the back. The last thing I wanted was for us to be the center of attention. We already had onlookers when we came in.

            “So, how’s the apartment that you all are staying in?” I asked as I grabbed the menu and browsed it. I was sure I knew what I wanted, but I decided to see what else there was.

            “It’s amazing. Mr. Carver pretty much took care of everything for us. And how is living at your house with Taylor? I know it’s not the same as living with your mom.” Taylor asked. Then her face turned red. It had been a few days since anyone had really talked about my mom. To be honest, the pain was still fresh.

            “It’s fine. And don’t worry, I know how you meant it. It is hard not having my mom around. I still wake up in her room, wondering why I’m there and why she isn’t.” I said, laying the menu back on the table. Taylor reached over and lightly grabbed my hand. Looking at her, she gave me a gentle smile. I don’t know where I would be without her right now. Even when I thought I had scared her away forever, she proved just how amazing she was.

            After about twenty minutes, one of the waitresses came by and took our orders. When everyone had given her their orders, she nodded and then headed back towards the kitchen. I watched her as she disappeared. It was then that I noticed that we were being watched. For some reason, Mr. Carver was here in the restaurant. It had to be a coincidence. It wasn’t like he was following us right. I turned my attention back to our booth, doing my best not to make eye contact.

            “So, how is the job hunting going?” Esme asked. I didn’t answer right away. Instead, I looked at the table. It was one of the most tedious things that I had to do. Not to mention the looks I got when I went into certain places. There was one that I swore was going to throw Taylor and I out before we could even make it over the threshold.

            “It’s been…long. I knew that one day I would have to get a job, but mom wanted me to focus on living my life as a teenager and keeping my grades up,” I said finally. Taylor and Ashley were having a long discussion about shopping and what not to buy. It was interesting, to say the least. Although Taylor was never big on the fact that she came from a wealthy family, there were times when it had shone. Shopping was one of them. I guess it had just become second nature to her, given how she was raised.

            When the waitress finally brought our food, all conversations had died down. It was a relief to yet have something to eat after only having a small lunch. Everyone was happily eating their food when I noticed again that Mr. Carver was watching us. It was getting to be a little creepy. Finally, annoyed, I waved him over. Slowly he got up from his table and walked over towards us.

            “What are you doing here, Mr. Carver?” Taylor asked when she noticed who I was waving to. He stood there for a moment, looking at us as he scratched his chin. From the crease on his brow, I could tell he was thinking of something.

            “Well, I was wondering if it would be a good time to tell you that my people were able to locate the location of the facility that that quack job is running. I know that you all have been waiting for word, but I think it is best if we go somewhere.” He said. Nodding, I got up along with everyone else. Mr. Carver placed a tip on the table, along with enough money to cover the bill. “Ashley, if you don’t mind, would you open a rift to your apartment?
            “Of course, Mr. Carver, but we need to go around back where there won’t be prying eyes,” Ashley said as she sat on Esme’s shoulder. Mr. Carver nodded and led us outside. Once we were out of the public, Ashley opened a rift. Walking through it, I found myself in a nice-looking apartment. It was more of a condo.

            Once everyone was in the apartment and sat down, Mr. Carver cleared his throat. He said, “My people have told me that that corrupt scientist and everyone else was at a facility in a remote patch of woods near Iconium. It won’t be easy getting in. He has guards posted both outside the woods and around the facility. Even with Angel flying, It is risky. That said, it’s not impossible. Ashley and Esme can work on taking out the guards around the woods.” Mr. Carver said. Esme and Ashley nodded. Then Mr. Carver walked into the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water.

            “What do Taylor and I do?” I asked curiously. I wanted to know how I would fit into this plan. I was sure I knew exactly what he had in mind, but I just wanted to hear him say it.

            “You two will deal with the guards around the facility, and when Ashley and Esme are done with the ones around the woods, they will be joining you. Then when you infiltrate the facility, you will have to watch each other’s backs. I am sure that he has more protective measures than a handful of guards. What I have to say next is very important. Once you have rescued everyone that is in that facility, I want you to destroy it. We can’t have that man continuing his research. Obviously, you need to take him alive so that he can answer for his crimes, but the facility has to go.” Mr. Carver said. There was something in his voice that worried me. It sounded like he was somehow involved but wanted to cover it up. I would have t talk with Taylor and the others about it later. The only thing that mattered right now was figuring out exactly how we would pull off this rescue.

            After explaining some minor details about the operation, Mr. Carver excused himself and left us all alone. One thing that bugged me about all of this was that not once did he mention Mandy or Joey. Did he think that we wouldn’t need them? After all, we were supposed to be his superhero group?

            “Is it just me, or does it feel like there is something that Mr. Carver wasn’t telling us?” Esme asked. I guess I wasn’t the only one who thought so. I nodded.

            “It does seem a bit strange. And then there is the fact that Mr. Carver didn’t mention Mandy or Joey. Why didn’t he bring them up at all?” I asked.

            “I think that he just thinks that we can handle it ourselves. After all, we have been training for a while now.” Taylor said as she looked at me. It was just like her to think positively. It was one of the things I loved about her.

            We all talked about what to do to rescue everyone for about an hour. After a while, we all said our goodbyes. Ashley opened a rift back to the restaurant where my car was still parked. Taylor and I got into the car as the rift shut and headed back home.

            Once we were home, I went to take a shower while Taylor made us something small to eat. Although we had eaten about two hours ago, it had been early, so we needed something to tide us over until the morning. I had just gotten out of the shower when the doorbell rang. I wondered who would be here at this time of night. Slowly I walked to the door and looked out the window.

Announcement
I apologize for the wait. My health wasn't all that great and I needed time to rest. I will be working on the last to chapters as soon as i am off work, then i will be taking a small break so that I can recharge and prepare for the holidays.
21