chapter 5: Encounter
47 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  Now, what to do…

  My gears keep turning with my eyes stared at the nothingness. My feet drag me forward without bumping into anyone. With a cluster of people strolling everywhere, I tramp my way through the bustling main street of the building district.

  Becoming an adventurer was my only plan.

  If I can't earn money today, I'll be surely sleeping in the wilderness tonight.

  This problem pricks my brain for ideas but no answers seem to click.

  …This hopeless.

  Surrendering my fruitless attempt, I sigh.

  (Crom?)

  Maybe Album has sensed my mental anguish and looked at me from above. He flaps his wings gently to maintain his aerial position.

  (I’m alright.)

  This bird was intelligent enough to see through his master's feelings. Is it because of the familiar magic [Nota]? That can't be right. Sense transfer is a one-way transit –from the familiar to the master. He definitely can't read my emotion through my mana flow either. Maybe it was his instinct again

  After the adventurer's guild, I decided to let Album hovered above the capital. His presence keeps receiving some curious gazes. That earlier incident convinced me that Album was indeed a trouble magnet.

  I already had my pursuers to think about and I don’t like to have another.

  This bird is popular but I can’t blame him for that. But since I'm sticking like a sore thumb every time he stays with me, he has to stay away for now.

  I guess we can only spend our time together in a less populated area.

  Assuring my trusted bird, he resumes his course and I thread my way to the multiracial crowds.

  The plan grandly failed because of some incompetent receptionist. And my backup plan obtained an opportunity to take the stage.

  My brain keeps working for an alternative job to earn money until the clock approaches at 4 pm. After several hours, the night's curtain will rise. Following my schedule, I only have more than an hour to go sightseeing and another hour to find a place to camp in.

  Now, where should go first?

   There's a row of stalls on the sideways on my left selling different products. Varieties of fruit –endemic to other countries displayed in this section with several townsfolk picking their favored fruit. In the further rows ahead would be some alchemical materials and herbs. Vials and flasks containing different colors of liquid were probing by an elf and a demon.

  Potions huh.

  These vials substitute the supporting spells if ever the adventurer party lacks a “white mage” (support). Or they want to have a backup in case of an emergency.

  I wonder what’s the taste like? I should write it down on my checklist.

  This list contains the new things I'll try or buy when I got some gold. I would also include that bar across the street housing several travelers and adventurers. Oh... There are more stalls settled up upon that fairly large skyway.

  Maybe I should visit a store to list more items.... Bad idea.

  The store clerks will chase out those who don't have money. This was always true in any Seilandian country. I shall refrain from entering any of their buildings.

  … An intersection.

  From what I remember from the aerial view with Album's eyes; Up ahead would be some couple of stores, the right seems to be the way through the arena and gambling facilities. And I believe on the side would be night district…

   “…”

  NOT POSSIBLE.

  Someone will kill me if I went to that forbidden place.

  Maybe I should check that arena. I'm not a battle freak, but as a philosopher, I'm intrigues of how those paragons use magic and the skill sets have-

  I squinted on a reflex as a wild light passed by on my eyes.

  Following the origin, a read head swordsman with a light-armor is nodding delightfully on his newly purchased claymore, further ahead across the street. Beside him was his female companion with a brown ponytail holding a staff. She nags at the guy, not hiding her disappointment as she furrowed her brows toward the sword. The pure white porcelain-like blade gleams under the afternoon light like a mirror.

  What is that?

   I wasn't curious by the state-of-the-art craftsmanship of the sword. But what I did find surprising was the blade.

  The blade clearly doesn't belong to any metals used in smiting. As far as I’m concern, I have never seen a pure white metal before. And painting it white certainly wastes the effort since a repeated attack would graze its color. It's probably is something else.

  With my curiosity piqued, I strain my eyes to the point that my silver iris gleamed by mana to magnify my vision.

  …I have still no idea what that is. Just was is it?

  As if the internal questions shout forth on the couple’s ears, they made a beeline to my direction.

  This is great, I can just ask him.

  “Calm your nerves, this was a great buy indeed!"

  “Calm!? You just spent your month-worth of money for just a word. When haven’t even used your spare!

  “This is the problem with you mages since you are always in the back-line. Swordsmen are always on the front-lines. Swords are their best friend! Spare is only used for emergencies! My main sword was chipped, so It rightful to have another. What do you think will happen if I don't have any more spares in the middle of a fight?

  “Excuse me.”

  “”…””

  The couple startled after my intruding call.

  They look at each other faces as if asking whose acquaintance am I. Surely they didn't creep out with my mask. Even some adventurers wore much scarier visors to cover up their faces.

  "How may I help you, Sir Knight?"

  “Hey, that's a high ranking officer you know… careful on your manner.

  “We are adventurers! We don’t bow down to any status.”

  “Ughhh…”

  I'm a knight now huh? Well, misunderstandings may bloom from my clothes. But I was indeed a high-ranking officer.

  The mage held her head as if failed to remonstrate a child. This swordsman's words were indeed correct. Adventurers symbolize freedom. They don't really have to bow down or mind their manners to any status as they were protectors against the monster.

  A good example of this was the [High-ranks]. Nobles and royalties; they treat them equally with the commoners. The people adored their casual attitude and fame, and sometime the nobles would get out of their way to form a connection with one of them. There were also instances that fallen nobles can raise their house back just being a successful adventurer.

  “If you don't mind, I'd like to ask where you found such fine sword, adventurer–san.”

  The swordsman follows my gaze and flashes a wild grin… He proudly held his claymore in front as if to show it off.

  “I see!, what fine eyes you got there, Sir Knight! You see, this claymore was made from the dragon that I bested last ten days… Single-handedly. I'm pretty awesome rigHHT!!!!”

  The swordsman cracked his voice from the wild pain struck his foot. His mage kicks him furiously –probably she's not satisfied with his answer or probably his manner.

  I don't really buy his story. Dragons sit at the peak of the monster hierarchy. you have to be at least a [high-rank] to pull that feat off. And from my assessment, this adventurer is around on the [Upper-Class] level. Much actually decent on his early twenties appearance.

   "Do forgive my ill-mannered companion for telling you stories, Sir Knight." she scoffs on the grimacing guy before providing the right answers.

   “Except for the dragon-bone part, everything he said was false. We just bought it from that armory store across the street.

   Saying so, she pointed the direction a little further from where I first spotted them –an armory store right on the corner of the intersection.

  So the blacksmith processed the monster’s bone for a weapon huh.

  –Wait a minute.

  My gears turn once again; with sparks flying upon its rapid rotation.

 

  [(Blacksmiths) x (monster’s materials) = weapons] =________________????

 

  My light bulb lit up. Of course the blacksmiths! I inadvertently drop a fist on my palms in the sudden realization.

  Blacksmiths issued quests for monster materials on the guild. And sometimes, they formed contracts to the adventurers directly to buy any material they gathered without handing them to the guild. If I bargain to a blacksmith, to buy the high-ranked monster's materials I gathered, so they can produce high-qualities weapons and armors, then problem solved…

  Aside from damaging the guild’s reputation, I can also commission the people of their quests that were too difficult to be trusted to those barbarians. Then the guild will surely lose face. All ideas were surging into my brain cells all at once.

  I was standing still, but inside I was ecstatic. This makes it significantly than being a dog of the guild. The guild doesn't hold a lease on me so I can hunt as much as I please.

  Ahh….. bliss… my heart is jumping in joy.

  My lips curled downward, I can already visualize the Guild's problematic faces right after I stole their big preys singlehandedly. This vengean- no karma. Karma is waiving at them now!

  “Uhmm…. Sir Knight?"

  “Oh… Forgive for me dozing off.”

  “Ah-hahaha, looks like Sir Knight finds you boring to talk wiTHH!!!!”

  “I’m sorry, did you say something?”

  “Sendy-sama… is the most beautiful adventurer…”

  “AHHH!!”

  The swordsman received another a couple of stomps. From the way he behaves, I bet this kind of antics happened all the time. Their personality may contrast but they get along pretty well. They remind of my pesky friends back in the days. I wonder how are they now? No… this is not the time to think about them.

  “Thank you for the information dear, adventures.”

  “Hoo! You see this Sendy? This is how an ideal noble should behave! By the way, I’m Garry, a swordsman, [rank-A] adventurer.

  He introduced himself with vigor before flashing a dandy grin. He pointed his thumb on the black tag on his neck. Proof that the guild has recognized his merit as [Rank-A].

  “My name is Sendie, same rank as him. I'm a mage."

  “And together! We are the Love-cupCAAAKE!!!

  Looks like this swordsman never learns huh. The mage put a greater force compared to the earlier stomps. But since he is a swordsman, with that rank to back up his strength, the stomp of a maiden from all her power will never injure his foot

  They give me their name, it would be only fair if I give mine too. I think the first name would be enough.

  “My name is Haven. A traveler.”

“By the way Sir, Haven, the traveler” he held his weapon again before he continues, "If you're interested in witnessing this sword in action, you can watch the paragon's tournament that'll be held tomorrow.

“Many people will come. I’m sure you would love the battles among the strongest people across the continent, especially... my match!”

He’s confident enough huh,

“Very well, I shall watch your performance if the situation allows”

  We have talked a little longer before we parted to our intended routes.

  With my lightened mood, I’ve made a beeline to the blacksmith’s shop.

 

  Behind a glass panel, displays a variety of armors and weapons. I can tell this from a polished surface of that heavy armor equipped by a mannequin; this crafted by the hands of a master smith. That sword made up of a greenish glass-like material –like a jade sword.

A price tag indicated at the bottom of the rack. For this weapon the price… 40 gold seiyan?

According to the ranking of Richfield currency.

  10 – Copper coin = 1 red copper coin.

  10 – Red copper coins = 1 silver coin

  10 – Silver coin = 1 white silver coin.

  10 – White silver coin = 1 gold coin.

 

  1000 gold coin = 1 platinum

  100 platinum coin = 1 rainbow platinum coin

  1 neayan (dollar) = 1 red copper coin

  The price was reasonable. This sword just too powerful to wield by the hands of those unworthy. Only strong adventurers who can earn a large money per contract can afford this weapon.

  Oh, there’s also a broadsword with inscription.

  A material with an inscription must mean one thing; it was imbued with magic. –A magic sword.

  The master smith might also very skilled rune-smith to forge a weapon like this.

  If he was that talented, I believe he will never reject my offer to him. Materials belong to the [Rank-S] – monsters would surely close this deal. I need to meet this person now and then go back to sightseeing – to the arena.

   “Hey! You there!”

  “…?”

  A sudden voice in my head interrupted me at my pace.

  Just who is she?

   Following the origin from tracing the psychic channel, I found a lady wearing a coat with her upper face covered in a veil under her hood. She stands behind a stall across the street, -on the rows of stalls before.

   There were several books piled atop of the desk proposing that she was a bookseller. Her arms wave widely, trying to get my attention.

  Is she’s a spy of Eclipse?

  –Impossible.

   It would too stupid to disguise as a bookseller and approach me directly. But this woman is not an ordinary bookseller. A person sending telepathy to a person with a faint presence is a no small feat at all.

  There are paragons who choose to live a normal life with an ordinary job despite their power. Like the adventurers who retired to become a merchant or a receptionist of the guild. Maybe she just didn’t want to venture to danger just to live and choose to become a bookseller.

  She has good eyes to identify the bookworms such as myself in just a glance.

  I may love to read books made by the hands of the otherworlders but unfortunately, I don't have the money yet. Guess I need to explain it to her directly.

  Having made my decision, I steer to her direction and put the armory shop on hold.

  I traversed on the street diagonally once again, heading to the rows on stalls.

  Since the street doesn't have a pedestrian lane or traffic lights, the people can just cross anywhere and everywhere as they please. Thus, it became disorderly with people walking in different directions. They resembled a dispersing cluster of ants after removing their food.

  Which is fun to watch –for me at least. The only ones who have a problem here were the people who aboard the vehicle. The line of carriages waits for the crowd to thin. As I passed them by, a cluster of people also passed and blocks my way.

  [Ghost walk]

  I want to get this over with.

  My figures blends on the light. I walk through the crowd like a ghost and made a beeline to the bookseller.

  This supposed leave a frozen effect behind the people I made a contact with. But I disabled the freezing effect. I used this spell earlier to the two adventurers; instead, the invisibility was turned off.

  Since I’m already in this state, let see if the bookseller can further sense my presence.

  She patiently waited for the people to disperse and the next incoming crowd after that. Until the road became free of people momentarily. But my figure is nowhere to be found.

  “W-Where did he go!?”

  The bookseller swivels her head in a flurry. She groans while scurrying to the side road to get a better view…

   –Did she just panic?

  My eyes rounded slightly not expecting that kind of reaction from her.

  I don’t see any person stopping at her stall. Was the sale so bad that she’s desperate to the point she’s might cry at any moment for just losing one customer? I think this is too much. Her head was craning over the passing crowds trying to find my missing figure.

  I’ll disable my invisibility to see if she can sense me now.

  Responding to my will, my body became apparent once again. Again, there’s no reaction.

  If that the case, then I should check books first. And put them on the checklist before I call her. This would a little punishment for disrupting my plans.

  If I get busted and chase out, then no hard feelings for me. I'll start with these books separated from the stacks near the edge.

  With a godlike speed, my eye followed the stitches of characters written in their language. Then, deftly flip the page to read the description. Settling to one or two pages then proceed to the next book and another one after that.

  “Where are you mister!?”

   I didn't go so far as to read one chapter. Finishing all the books even at this pace was difficult. Seemingly jittered that she still can’t find me, she starts shouting some weird moniker.

  “Sir masked-man! Please come back!

  “Sir masked-man!”

  Now I know she wants something badly from me. I don't know what that is though.

  It won't be long until this bookseller burst into tears. But I need to finish this first.

   “Please! Mister masked-man… ugh…"

   In the mere 7 seconds, I finished all the books including the compiled ones. I arrange them in the way they used to be.

  All of them were legends of the heroes of Seilandia. Not bad books if I say so myself. I have read some literary works of Seilandians back in my tower of books. But those aren’t heroic legends. Rather, their typical novel of heroic adventures and romance.

  Well, since I had my fun, It's time to put an end to her distress.

  I wrap around the stall –in front where the customer is supposed to be.

  “I’m here.”

  “Whaaa!?”

  The bookseller startled as she saw me my figure pop up before her stall.

  Her hand is on her chest, calming her rapidly pounding heart. I can't see her eyes but her grimacing mouth hinted me of her feelings.

   It didn't take long before she recovered from the shock. She deeply exhales remaining anxiety and gently rubbed her covered eyes with her arm.

  With her full refresh self, the bookseller scurries back to her stall and calmly open a drawer under the desktop, revealing a plain black book in A4 size.

  “…”

  She didn’t even question my late arrival…

  She blooms a smile in her face as if her depression earlier never happened. She raises the book delightfully and introduces her product.

  “Would like to have a Quest Book, Sir masked-man?”

  Quest book? Is that the description or a title? That’s the first time I heard such a book...

  No…wait. I think I read those words from these books.

  I lowered my head to the Quest Book, but my eyes were darted on the bookseller suspiciously.

 

 

I spent a lot of time trying to remove some passive sentences. English is hard. 

Well, I'm thankful I reach the prologue. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2