Chapter 1: Hidden
51 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"...In the past, countless races lived in harmony; witches, humans, werewolves, goblins, elves and much more. But ever since the Great War 130 years ago, only one race remained as the all powerful; the Cats. The Cats were always a powerful race that had a strongest military power and a strong economy to let them reign as one of the Big 3 races; Humans, Cats, and Witches. Ever since the war, all the other races were either purged or went into hiding. 

When the current Cat King came into rule, he had ordered the mass execution of all other races, mainly humans, and mobilized thousands of soldiers to kill anybody that wasn't a Cat on site. The other races were surprised by the attack and did not have any method of retaliation. The Witches were the ones that held on the longest as they had the strongest magical powers among the races, but their weakness was that they had a low fertility rate and was thus beaten by sheer numbers. Thus began the era known as the Silent Hundred, where the once bustling streets of the kingdom and the harmonious interactions between races was now gone.

Many speculate that the same Cat King has been in rule since the Great War. It is rumored that the current Cat King is so powerful because he acquired the legendary potion; The Nine Lives. It was an infamous rumor even before the Great War despite having no definite proof that it existed. It was said that the potion would let a person revive 9 times from any threat; poison, a stab to the heart, drowned or burned at the stake. But those who drank the potion would have a price to pay. It is said those who drink it would become unable to control their body and lose their soul to the devil..."

I closed the book as I heard footsteps approaching. I shoved the leather bound book beneath my mattress as the door opened. My father peeked his feline head through the door, "Hey, are you ready for bed yet?" He walked in with oil-stained clothes that were a result of his job where he worked as the town's mechanic. 

We lived in a small town at the edge of the Capital where there was a small population. My father, a Cat who had dull brown fur and black eyes- a very common trait of Cats in this area- took me in when I was just a baby. 

When he told me the story of how he met me for the first time, he said he was so surprised since humans have been acknowledged as extinct ever since the war. I was an infant left at his doorsteps in the dead of night, with no trace of whoever left me there, except for a blanket with the name, "Mikael," embroidered on it. 

A part of me still doesn't understand why he took me in even though it would've been so much easier if he just left me to die. Humans are known as a taboo subject among the citizens, that if anybody were to even think about the word 'humans,' their heads would be chopped off by the imperial guards before you would even have time to scream. 

My father snuffed out the candle as he shushed me to sleep. I drowsily closed my eyes and tried to forget how I might be stuck in this house for the rest of my life.

0