Reading – First Quest
1.1k 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

EverGuard City Library.

The city's library could be described in one word.

Massive.

Hundreds of thousands of shelves containing innumerable books are within this place. From ancient scrolls and archaic records to modern texts and documents. Stories and pieces of information about the past eras and epochs up to the present historical figures and events. From historical and fictional fabrications to the present day realized biographies.

Invaluable and priceless knowledge sleeps within this library and right now, a lone young man, reading a book could be seen. Although the library was actually closed, with the city lord's permission, Jaden was allowed inside to browse to his heart's content.

Step, step, step.

Footsteps were heard as Jaden turned around only to see his master carrying dozens of books in his arms, walking towards him.

Slam.

The sound of books landing on a table resounded as Roland picked out a book amongst the dozens. "My disciple, there is a saying that books contain knowledge and knowledge is power. Here, start with this book and finish the rest. I'll get someone to procure more books for you in a while, so start reading." smirked Roland as he threw the book to Jaden.

Catching it, Jaden read the words on the cover. "Founding of EverGuard".

Roland only laughed and turned around, towards the exit of the library.

With curiosity, Jaden opened up the book and started reading the first page. "My name is Arthur EverGuard. If you're reading these words, then I have accomplished my mission and my purpose. Well, if you want to know about my story, then keep reading..."

----------

Year 1981, Age of Trials.

'It's nearing two millennia. What am I still fighting for? I'm tired.

I've slain archdevils and beheaded 10 of those 72 Demon Kings. I've fought countless monsters, even those damned Chaos Gods and survived. But It's not enough, still not enough. Right, I need to fight. I must continue for my mission is not complete yet.'

Year 1999 Battle of the Kings.

'Those weak-willed bastards! Actually giving in to the Abyss and the Chaos Gods, what Kings, they're no King!' I muttered as I stabbed the forehead of the enemy in front of me.

Continue or surrender. We fought each other due to two conflicting beliefs. Between the two armies, it's starting to become clear which side is winning. Looking at the mangled and deformed corpses of my fallen comrades, I grimaced.

I need to turn this situation around. What do I do? What can I do?!

Cut off the head of the snake and the body will die. At once, I looked for those damned Demon Kings.

My eyes peered through the warriors and monsters that were constantly fighting, and then I saw them.

Tens of thousands of meters away, I saw them. Out of the 72 bastards, 3 were here, fighting. 'Hmm, seems like the other two are occupied by the other warriors and kings. Then my target has to be him.'

A hulking demon with two penetrating eyes and a horrific aura around him so dark, it was like the abyss itself. Six curved horns adorned its head like a crown befitting that of the ruler of demons. Four bat-like wings extended on its back, exuding flames that could even burn and incinerate dragons and gods alike. It stood up from its gigantic obsidian throne, yelled in a strange demonic language, and waved it's arm, ordering the millions of hordes of demons under it to rush and dismember the human army.

Baal. The top seat amongst the 72 Demon Kings and could be said to be their real King. A ruler comparable or even stronger than the Chaos Gods.

Feeling an intense glare on him, Baal's fiery eyes suddenly glared at me. He smirked mockingly, provoking me.

'This bastard.' although the Demon Kings I've slain were at the bottom tier of the 72, I'll be sure to wipe the smirk off that thing's face.

'Oathbreaker' I thought as I extended my arm in the air.

*Crackle* Crackle*

Suddenly, the atmosphere of the battlefield worsened as the roars of lightning reverberated everywhere.

Boom!

A bolt of lightning descended and struck my arm down to my hand. And then it appeared. Within my grasp was a two-meter-long black spear with sparks of lightning surrounding it, fearsome to behold. Golden engravings coiled around it from the top to bottom, akin to a dragon. It was a Legendary weapon.

'O God of War, Lakas, please grant me strength.' I said in my heart.

I then channeled my Fighting Aura to its limits. The red-colored aura covered me like armor and shrouded my spear, enhancing it's destructive power to its extremity. My red aura was like a storm, towering up to the heavens and silencing the chaotic battlefield.

"BAAL!" I roared at the top of my lungs, shaking even the heavens itself. "I, Arthur EverGuard, the Avatar of the God of War, shall decimate you and your army of demons!"

Boom!

Like a bolt of lightning, Oathbreaker flew and shot towards the demon, leaving the ground in cracks and fissures.

I too, dashed towards Baal as sonic booms resounded, leaving decimated corpses of demons in my trail.

The demon smiled. Destructive jet-black energy radiated from him, shaking the entire battlefield as if welcoming my challenge...

----------

Due to your immersive reading, you have acquired: +1 INT and WIS.

At this moment, Jaden was completely immersed in the story of Arthur EverGuard that he didn't even hear the system message or noticed the number of books around him that had increased.

He was enraptured by the thrilling battles and wars that King Arthur had participated in during his prime. Ancient Dragons, Colossal Behemoths, Demon Kings, even the Chaos Gods that the gods feared, all of them, he fought and survived before founding the city and ascending to the Eternal Domain, fighting alongside supreme beings and mythical warriors.

"What a heart-racing journey...I wonder if I could have the same kind of adventure..." Jaden sighed when he remembered that although what he just read, or see in this case, was unbelievably lifelike, Destiny Forged is still a game in the end.

Without a care for the system message, Jaden picked up another book called "The Tales of Sword Demon".

'Although it's called "reading", it's more like watching an inconceivable high-definition movie instead.' he thought before immersing himself into the book.

----------

Sword Demon. Although the person wasn't an actual demon, he got this title due to his obsession with the sword. Like Jaden, he was a man born to wield the sword. Born from an influential family, his life was set to be a smooth ride due to the family's nobility. However, when he turned 10 years old, not just his family, but the whole kingdom was razed to the ground. A monster wave that had numerous [King] level monsters and a few [Emperor] level ones invaded the kingdom and one-sidedly slaughtered every human, except the child.

Witnessing the destruction of his family in front of his eyes, the child sunk into darkness and tread the dark path as he grew up. From that time until he became 30 years old, he trained his sword like there was no tomorrow, he was obsessed. Obsessed to seek revenge, he descended into a mania while his swordsmanship advanced alongside his combat level. At the age of 34, he attained the rank of [Imperial] and at once, sought out the [Emperor] ranked monsters.

As the monsters were [Emperor]-ranked, they were feared across the continent and lived the lives of an overlord. As his sword mastery was at the [Master] level already, he hunted them one by one and killed them like chickens before sacrificing the monsters towards his dead kins and ancestors.

The Sword Demon's name remained unknown, and legends say that he's still alive and roams the world, searching for worthy enemies to perfect his swordsmanship.

----------

Due to your immersive reading, you have acquired: +1 INT and WIS.

"Still roaming the continent until now huh...I hope I meet this Sword Demon and see his sword arts myself."

After the story of Sword Demon, Jaden picked another book and immersed himself to the stories of powerful warriors of both the past and present.

...

Hours passed and Jaden read all kinds of stories and legends. He read a story about a child raised by the noble dragons, he read a story of an adventurer who found a civilization of an underground archaic race, he read a story of a [Legendary] ranked sorcerer who, for unknown reasons, turned into a lich and wreaked havoc across the continent.

Other than stories and fables, Jaden also learned about the influential powers and organizations, from both the past and present, he learned about the other worlds and secret realms, he even learned that there are gods and supreme beings, albeit not on the level of the Eternal Gods, that are still alive in this world!

Waking up from his immersive daze, Jaden checked the system messages that he got from earlier.

From the hours of immersive reading, you have acquired a total of +15 INT and WIS.
Assimilation: 6%

"This Assimilation again..."

Just as Jaden was about to look up in the DF Forum what exactly "Assimilation" was, the voice of his master interrupted him.

"My disciple, I've visited a couple of times but you were so focused on the books that I didn't want to disturb you." laughed Roland as he walked towards Jaden.

"I have some news," said Roland.

"News?"

Roland nodded his head."I've received reports about some Dragons from the west going berserk and massacring cities and kingdoms."

"And what does this have to do with me exactly?" asked Jaden with curiosity.

"The neighboring kingdoms have asked for the help of EverGuard to subdue or slay the rampaging Dragons since they keep terrorizing the domains near the destroyed territories. I'm here to ask you if you're interested to come to this expedition." the atmosphere suddenly turned solemn as Roland looked at his disciple. "Of course, you are not required to fight in the crusade but this opportunity will certainly broaden your horizon. Although these Dragons are not True Dragons, they still possess draconic bloodline and immense strength that are beyond the capabilities of humans. Don't you wanna see for yourself what that power is like?"

Ding! ★Hidden Quest★ Berserk Dragons Expedition has occurred! Accept or Refuse?

Jaden turned quiet. 'A hidden quest huh...the reward probably won't be anything simple.' an intense desire to battle suddenly rose inside him.

"Okay, I'll go!"

★Hidden Quest★ Berserk Dragons Expedition has been accepted!
Hidden Quest - Berserk Dragons Expedition
Difficulty ???
Description Some dragons have gone berserk and have been causing havoc in the neighboring kingdoms and cities, they must be stopped!
Quest Clear Requirements Join the expedition and help subdue the rampaging dragons to prevent further casualties.
Quest Completion Rewards ???
Failure Penalty ???

Seeing the burning passion in the eyes of his disciple, Roland though in his heart. 'You might not know it yourself yet, but you, you were born to battle.'

"The crusade will undertake in 3 weeks. From tomorrow until the day before we travel, you will complete this training routine that I've made daily," said Roland before handing Jaden a piece of paper with schedules written on it.

Ding! Side Quest "Roland's Training Program" has been forcibly accepted!

Side Quest - Roland's Training Program

Difficulty ???
Description Although you have monstrous attributes and extraordinary abilities beyond your level, you must squeeze out the potential hidden within your body and perfect your foundation.
Quest Clear Requirements For the duration of three weeks, complete Roland's training routine every day.
Quest Completion Rewards All attributes +50, SP +15.
Failure Penalty Roland will be disappointed at your integrity. Affinity with Roland decreases.

"Seems like a straightforward quest..." said Jaden as he checked at the quest that the system had forced upon him. 'Well, I'm not complaining...'

Actually, he's happy instead since he finally got a quest, or two in this case, after entering this world.

"Follow me." Roland flicked his arm and turned around, walking out of the library while Jaden hurriedly followed.

**********

Basic of Combat training grounds.

As they stepped past the entrance, Jaden could see a middle-aged man with blond hair and a sword in his hand.

It was Fang.

Roland chuckled and patted his disciple's shoulder. "For the whole day, train with Fang. We'll start your training program tomorrow." after saying that, he departed, leaving only Jaden and Fang by themselves.

Walking up to the blond-haired man, Jaden greeted him as Fang nodded in return.

"We'll start immediately," said Fang as he took out a wooden sword identical to Jaden's. "I want you to give your all. Use all the techniques you have available." he declared as he jumped backward a few meters away.

"Let me warn you kid, I won't be as gentle as Roland so do your best!" grinned Fang as a sharp aura that took the shape of a sword, manifested from his body.

One, two, three, the sword energies continued forming as they surrounded him, creating a domain. Right now, Fang was like the eye of a storm as the energy swords, that were akin to a cyclone, numbered in hundreds.

Sensing the piercing atmosphere and the magical scene that took place in front of him, Jaden took out the refined wooden sword.

"I haven't used this skill since I've created it, but I can say that it'll be powerful so you be careful too, Mr. Fang," said Jaden as he positioned his body sideways while slightly bending his knees. Then, the atmosphere around him changed.

At this moment, as Jaden pulled his arm back and gathered momentum, a formless aura surrounded his whole body and ripples formed around his right arm up to his hand which wielded the wooden sword.

Fang's eyes narrowed as he suddenly felt ominous. His instincts were telling him that this coming attack shouldn't be underestimated.

And then he saw it.

In less than a millisecond, Jaden's sword thrust forward to Fang's direction.

The sound of the wind being severed was heard as space was torn apart ferociously. The heavens shook as fissures and cracks appeared on the ground. An illusion of the world being split apart appeared.

[Sundering Heavens]!

14