Chapter 55
235 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yuuki took a break from work and was only in one place at one. So, she instead started working on her new hobby.

She decided to place the garden in a pocket universe, so she could better alter the surroundings without needing to terraform an entire planet. Her first decision was whether she even wanted dirt. The “plants” she would create did not need water, light, or sustenance, so it wouldn’t be needed. At the same time, she enjoyed walking on soft ground. In the end, she made it out of a soft, dirt-like material except it did not crumble or leave stains.

The next order of business would be deciding what the sky would be like. After some thinking, she settled for a sunset. Or perhaps a sunrise? It was all the same, the source of light would not move after all. She did not like cloudy weather, so she made no clouds.

Last would come the actual garden. She decided to peak into different realities, different planets with different landscapes and tried to find what she enjoyed looking at the most. The ones she felt an instinctual connection to were split into two categories. There were the landscapes with plants that she was familiar with, the ones that existed in most stable universes. And there were the more abstract landscapes that populated worlds that would hardly even last a few centuries. Ones where color was not merely a reflection of light, but more. Something inherent to the material. Something that could not only be seen but felt. Which, for Yuuki, was something she wanted in her garden very much. She did mostly rely on her magical senses rather than her sight after all.

As it turned out, trying to change the laws of a world, even if it was her own pocket universe, was difficult. Not ‘resurrecting the dead’ difficult but it did require her attention for some time. Once she was finished with that, she could finally create the plants. She wanted to create the flowers she made at the top of some mountain not so long ago but found herself unable to. Well, she could’ve simply copied them, but she disliked doing it. It was the reason she did not mass produce food or drinks with her magic: there was something strange about something being the exact same over and over again that was impossible to notice consciously, but the subconscious would take notice and begin doubting reality. It was not a very nice feeling when your body thought you were dreaming while awake, it could even be dangerous.

It seemed like there was only one choice.

“Alice, do you have a few minutes?” Yuuki asked after knocking on a door in the mansion.

The door was almost ripped off its hinges as a very excited wolf-kin girl opened it. “YesIdowherearewegoing?”

“I’m making the garden and I need help.” The vixen replied, with little emotion.

“Neat, let’s go.” Alice hopped closer to hug Yuuki tightly and by the time she was done with the hug, they were both in an alien landscape. The sunlight was not just warm, it was strangely cohesive. The colors melded into the world around them. Not that there were many colors. The ground was brown, the “Sun” was yellow, and the sky was orange to dark purple. Yuuki and Alice themselves looked far more beautiful in this place, but they would be even more beautiful in the void where it was nothing but the soul and its perceptions. This place was a mixture between a physical reality and an immaterial one.

Looking around, the wolf-kin was amazed. “Alright, how do you want me to help?”

Instead of replying, Yuuki hugged Alice, but it was less a hug and more a going limp in someone else’s arms. Alice sat down on the ground and settled Yuuki’s head in her lap.

“Are you alright?”

“More or less. I've mostly recovered from what happened a few weeks back, but it started something, and I doubt it will end for a long time. Not unless I somehow manage to split my soul in two and hope that the one in favor of killing things doesn’t end up more powerful.”

“That would not be ideal.” Alice said as her hands began running through Yuuki’s long hair.

“I still feel tired. And I don’t know why. It’s not mental tiredness, because it did not go away during the vacation or my birthday party when I did almost nothing. It got better, but it was still there.”

“What if it’s tiredness from your soul’s inner conflict?”

“My soul has no limit for stamina. At least I don’t think it does.”

Alice let out a low hum as she let out her aura, gently enveloping Yuuki in it. “Does that make it better?”

Yuuki loosened all her tense muscles as she nodded slightly.

“Maybe you’re tired of fending for yourself? Of worrying about what will happen to you or the ones you care about?” Alice knew she was right when Yuuki tensed up slightly. “And I know I’ve said it before. That you deserve rest. But it’s important for you to accept it and not just for a moment to catch your breath. Well, it’s fine. I’ll remind you as many times as I need to. I appreciate your efforts. We all do. But you have to realize that we’ll be fine. We’re not exactly fragile. You can relax and stop worrying every once in a while. And while you do, we’ll be here and make sure you’re fine. Mostly me.” She let out a chuckle which helped Yuuki relax once more.

The kitsune felt safe. Not that she had any reason to feel unsafe before, but this was how she felt. Not always knowing why things were the way they were was something she had to live with now. As she released her aura, it was barely noticeable. Not the blinding bright star it usually was, just air. In the background, one would hardly realize it was even there, it simply felt so natural.

“Thank you.” Yuuki said, her voice carrying all the emotion she could muster.

“You are welcome.” Alice grabbed Yuuki and helped her sit up so they could more easily hug.

“Alice?”

“Ask.”

“You’ll stay with me, right?”

“Forevermore.”

17