Chapter 59
202 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The dinner table was plunged into an awkward silence due to the new face at the table. Although, it wasn’t a face as much as it was a mass of swirling opaque shadows shaped like a head with two brightly glowing red eyes. Despite having no mouth, it greedily shovelled food into its face where it disappeared without a trace.

“So… what’s your name?” Hanae asked.

“I don’t have one.” He replied without the need to stop eating.

“I see.” Hanae shifted a bit before looking at her sister questioningly.

Yuuki did not pay attention because she was too busy eating meat with spicy sauce. Alice, who could’ve also answered some questions, was likewise busy.

“Where did you come from if I might ask?” Hanae was a bit bothered that despite her mom clearly finding the situation odd, remained silent, Eric acted as if it were normal while her dad simply gave a tired look at the creature before going back to eating.

Instead of replying, he pointed a finger at Yuuki. This caused Hanae to almost choke on her food.

“Yuuki, is he your son?”

“Are we related by blood, genetics or even soul composition? No. Did I create him? Yes.” Yuuki answered without really paying attention.

Glances were exchanged throughout the table.

“Yuuki, dear, please inform us beforehand next time you plan to play god in the cellar.” Jack said before going back to eating once more.

“You should be more careful with the wording in that. She won’t do it in the cellar, she’ll just do it somewhere else now.” Alice chimed in.

“Yes, she is quite good at complying with what was said, not with what it was supposed to mean.” A voice rang out through the room.

“Mystra, if you want to talk, take a seat, grab a plate and join. If not, wait until dinner’s over.” Yuuki said dismissively. The other people at the table, the gas creature excluded, stared at the vixen in disbelief while Alice could hardly contain her laughter.

A woman with flowing black hair took one of the empty seats, put some food on a plate she conjured up, took a bite and swallowed it all while glaring at Yuuki. “You’re making a demon army.”

“One person could hardly be called an army.” Yuuki did not bother to make eye contact.

“I SAID YOU’RE MAKING ONE NOT THAT YOU’VE ALREADY MADE ONE!”

“Do you have proof beyond reasonable doubt that I plan to do so?”

“…”

“In that case, enjoy the food and stop complaining.”

Mystra was beet red, her jaw clenched. “I hate you so much.” She was pouting, and it was clear from her voice that she did not really mean it.

“It’s not my fault you’re embarrassing yourself, you shut-in.”

“I’m not a shut in!”

“What’s the last time you were in a group of more than 5 people? Even when it was just you, Alice and me, you fled after a few minutes.”

There was no reply, just a more and more severely blushing deity.

“Here.” The shadow creature put his plate with some food left on it in front of the goddess. “I’ll go get dessert.”

Mystra looked more and more uncomfortable, so Alice teleported next to her and hugged her. “That was mean, Yuuki.”

“I was told teasing was a way to show affection?” Yuuki was genuinely confused.

“It started out as teasing, but you just ended her career.” Alice said, half joking and half concerned about the pouting deity whose face was washed red with shame.

“Wait, you actually do have social anxiety? I did not… I’m sorry.” Yuuki also teleported next to the goddess and hugged her.

The rest of the family did not really know what to do. Then, Mystra’s face suddenly turned into a triumphant smile, but neither Yuuki or Alice could see it as magic perception did not work on her and they were not at the right angle to see normally due to the hugs. She winked at the family as she enjoyed the physical attention.

The shadowy creature came back with a large plate full of sweets.

Yuuki turned her attention and from the corner of her eye saw Mystra’s face. “You smug little weasel, here I thought I hurt your feelings.” She narrowed her eyes.

“Oh, you did. Thing is, it doesn’t really bother me anymore. So, it was worth the hug.” Mystra had a dumb smile while Alice gave a flat look. The remaining family was disturbed by how casual the atmosphere was despite there being a bonafide deity at the table, but they calmed down soon enough. In the end they played board games Yuuki made, this time joined by the goddess of magic and a shadow demon person.

 

--

 

“Arthur, are you in here?”

“Yes father, why do you ask?”

“You haven’t come out of your room in days.”

The prince opened the door only to realize that it wasn’t his father, but rather a shapeshifter. As its fingers turned into large claws Arthur released a powerful blast of fire, turning his would-be assassin into a charred shadow on the wall.

“Huh… wait, is dad alive? … Meh, I’ll worry about that later.” He locked his door once more and went back to reading the books Yuuki gave him.

After a few hours there was a knock on his door. “My lord, are you alright? There was a break in at the castle.” It was a worried guard.

“Yes, the perpetrator is on the wall behind you. I’m fine.”

“On the wall?”

Arthur opened the door to look around in the corridor and there was, in fact, no sign of the remains of his attacker.

“Never mind, but I’m fine.” He closed the door and turned around to see Yuuki sitting on a chair.

“Hi. I cleaned that up so the guards and the maids who would’ve had to clean it up don’t get psychological scarring.” Her voice was impassive.

“Oh, thanks. So, what now?”

“I’m not here to talk about politics, just to drop some things off.” She put three heavy tomes on the table. “Mathematics, physics, and basic magical theory.”

“These will be the curriculums?” He received a nod as a reply. “Alright. Thanks, I’ll read them over when I’m done with the previous ones.”

“One more thing.” She pulled out a large white fur cloak from thin air. “This might help against more attackers.”

“Is this from the lion that I killed?” Another nod. “Thank you. Wait, you were watching? Why didn’t you do anything?” His appreciation turned into annoyance.

“Would you like me to deal with every small fry that attacks you down to the bedbugs?”

“THERE ARE BEDBUGS?” His annoyance now shifted into horror.

“Yes? You don’t notice because, much like the attacker, they have no way of actually hurting you, so they’ll starve soon enough.”

Arthur was distressed and hugged Yuuki, clutching onto her. “Please get rid of them, I really, really, really don’t like insects.”

Yuuki let out a sigh, but snapped her fingers, nonetheless. “No more insects in the castle and I warded it as well.” After a few seconds of silence, she realized that Arthur had fallen asleep in her arms.

“Stubborn child, why don’t you sleep more?” Naturally, there was no answer. “I should make the books unreadable at night.” She laid the prince carefully in the bed and used the lion cloak to blanket him before leaving.

 

I feel like I haven't advanced the plot in a while... So imma get on that. Right. Eat your vegetables!

15