Chapter 4: “The Authority and the Aristocrat”
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The alarm rang causing my good slumber to be interrupted. It was 4:30 am. I'm still very sleepy right now because I'm not used on waking up very early in the morning. I stood up from my bed and opened the window to look on the ocean outside. Shoot! It's very cold. The night breeze is penetrating my whole body. I immediately closed it after a few inches of opening it.

Because of the perfect, cold weather, I want to sleep again but I can't afford to do that now. I didn't go to the shopping district yesterday so the only available choice here is instant ramen.I started to boil water. It took me at least 5 minutes to prepare. I placed two cups of instant ramen on the table.

"Stacia." My spirit appeared in front of me.

I extended my hand to her telling her to seat down. She sat on the right side. I turned my back against her so that she can eat right now. I saw her skull mask on the table as I started to eat. I can turn my head anytime to see her face but I don't want to do it. I want to give some respect to her feelings.

"I'll go buy some essential needs later after school," I said to Stacia without looking to her

"I think it's useless to ask what you want. But is there anything else you want to eat except chocolates?" She shook her head in disagreement. She is the very definition of a chocolate lover and I honestly admire her for that.

After eating, I entered the bath and submerged myself into the bathtub. I-I-I-It was very cold! I freaking forgot to heat water! I need to endure this coldness because I don't want to be branded as "Mr. No Bath"and as a result, my whole body is shivering. I immediately wore my uniform and good thing there is a thick jacket. It will definitely help me to raise my body temperature even a little bit.

The chillness of the wind is the first thing that greeted me righr after I left my room. I saw some students who are also on their way going to the train station. Our common denominator here is that we're fighting against this cold wind. We were all walking in peace when someone not from far away shouted.

"Who the heck are you? Are you a first-year?!" the tall student shouted.

He was together with two others. Their uniform has white linings on it meaning that they're were third-years.

"I-I-I-I'm sorry. I'm very sorry," the first-year who was sitting on the road, begged. He probably got bumped into the student that shouted.

"Your sorry is not applicable here. We should settle this thing in a duel. Our bet will be expulsion," the student with the red spiky hair said. He looks like a total delinquent.

Some of the first-years stopped upon hearing the word "expulsion". So this is what Tachibana-sensei saying about the duel and discrimation.

"I'm very sorry. I'm still not strong to fight with a senior," the first-year said and kowtowed, letting his face touch the ground.

"I don't care about it. We'll do this duel whether you like it or not," the third-year said in total anger.

"Hey, Sugou-kun. Just chill, man."

"He's still a weakling, dude. I'm sure he can't even lift his katana against us."

His companions mocked the first-year and they all laughed while looking down on the first-year. I can't stand this anymore. I don't know how they fight and how strong they are but I don't care about it. I was about to enter the scene when a girl approached to them.

"You're already making ruckus early this morning, huh?" the girl with a red twintail said. She's also a third-year but she's too short for that. Her overall appearance is cute that one may think that she's a first-year, or probably a middle-schooler who got lost here.

"Vi-Vice President Hakari!",one of them said.

"I heard you want to have a duel with that first-year, right?" the girl, who they referred as the Vice President, said in a very authoritative tone. The first-year in question immediately lifted his body but didn't stood up.

"What about it? Is there anything wrong on having a duel with a precious underclass?" the guy who declared duel said. But I noticed that there is fear in his voice.

"Then I'll represent myself for this one. Let's do a duel right now. I want the same condition you offered," the Vice President said.

The third-years in question were shocked at her offer. "I don't want to have a duel with you, Vice President Hakari."

"Then begone from my sight!" The vice president commanded them in a very intimidating tone. Her eyes stared at them very coldly that it looks like she has killing intent. Despite of her child-like figure, the three third-years are cowarding in fear.

The three guys had no choice but to flee and they started to walk again. What we witnessed was very shocking to us. This red twintailed girl is the vice president of student council. So it means that she is the Academy Rank 2 out of 430 students. She definitely has the authoritarian side despite of her midget-like appearance.

"You'll become late. Stand up and be careful next time," she said and started to walk away without lending a hand to the first-year who's currently standing up. The latter thanked her and bowed but maybe the vice president didn't heard it.

We all started to walk again. I arrived at the room three minutes before the class starts. The commotion earlier is a topic among first-years. They're all saying that the way the uppermanclass acts is so rude especially to us first-years. It is still the second day of class but something like that already happened.

After the Conceptual Origins subject, that tackles about the origins of the spirits, is Tachibana-sensei's World History Post-Spirit Era. Half of our subjects were almost focused in spirits. Well, they literally changed the cycle and fate of humanity so it is required to know everything about them. We silently wait for her to come and Tachibana-sensei entered the room a minute after.

"It looks like something already happened, huh?" It was the first sentence she spoke after her entrance. "It is a good thing that the vice president is there at the same time. Talk about coincidence."

She's right. It was all thanks to the vice president, the Academy Rank 2. If she didn't came, maybe that first-year student earlier will leave the academy immediately or maybe I will face expulsion if I decided to lend a hand. That was literally a lifesaver.

Tachibana-sensei didn't greeted us and started her lesson. There is no difference on traditional schools and spirit academies in terms of class sessions, except the subjects, of course, and the unusual schedule is an addition to that.

I didn't noticed that it is already lunch break. Maybe I'm just too bored to listen to the whole class. I left the room alone and headed to the canteen located on the first floor. The canteen has a seating accomodation of at least 500-600 depending on what can I see. Please take that number as an estimation. In order to buy here, you should reserve by choosing in a wide variety of menu on an application that was installed in the phone. It was pretty convenient on our side because we will just fall in line and you can get your order for less than a minute.

There are only few vacant seats and I finally found a perfect spot after seconds of scanning. I sat in a corner, allowing me to see the entire canteen. There are students that are already talking to each other. They're already making friends with each other and I can say that it's good for them. I ate my lunch leisurely when I noticed that most of the students are looking on a certain student that approaches in my direction. Despite of her small stature, all eyes are on her. She stopped and looked into a student in the other seat on my right side.

"Onee-chan," the student, a first-year, said to the other one that stood in front of her.

"It's been two years, Asuka. I'm glad you managed to enter here," the other student said.

I'm wondering why most of the students were looking into the student beside me. Is it because of her short height? Or maybe because of her red twintail. Wait. Someone with a red twintail was involved in a fuss earlier morning. D-Don't tell me she's the-

"Congrats on being the vice president, onee-chan," the first-year student said.

"Can I seat here?", the vice president said and pointed on the chair in front of the first-year. The latter nodded and the vice president sat.

The first-year, who is the vice president's older sister, can't focus on the attention she's receiving right now. But the way that the vice president moves, it looks like she's used to it or didn't care about it.

The two of them talked to each other happily without worrying on their surroundings. They didn't see each other for two years so it is quite reasonable. I suddenly thought about Hira-neechan. I admit that I miss my airheaded older sister but everytime I see her or even feel her presence, I want to kill myself for letting it happen.

I continued to eat my lunch when I heard another footstep coming into our direction that caused most of the students again to look here. Seriously, is this desk an attention-magnet?

"So the great vice president is here, huh?", the newcomer said. Her wavy blonde hair looks so silky. She has a blue lining on her uniform so she's a second-year. Behind her is also a second-year but she's holding a parasol. Her posture makes her look like an attendant of a royal princess.

"I prefer if you shut your mouth for a while or even for eternity," the vice president said annoyingly and not turning her head to the newcomers.

"And why should I do that? It is the best if you do it on yourself," the blonde girl mockingly said.

Her tone and way of talking to the vice president is no joke. Based on my assumption, this girl is not respecting the vice president. This caused the attention of all the students here to shift again to the both of them, especially to the blonde girl.

"Then go do it first. No, it is better to kill yourself right in front of me," the vice president said and crossed her arms.

"Don't joke around, Hakari. Did you forget that we're in a public place? I'm sure they heard that the vice president is ordering someone to commit suicide in front of her," the blonde girl said and laughed.

I looked at the attendant-like girl behind her but she's not showing any expression or gesture to stop her friend.

The vice president stood up from her seat and faced the blonde girl. The vice president's height can only reach the blonde girl's eyes. The blonde girl's stare on the girl in front her is full of indignation. Man, they're emitting a murderous intent on each other and I'm the one among the spectators who can feel the most because I'm only a meter away from them.

"Can you please stop with your nonsense blabbering? You are in no place to commit such a disrespectful act."

"And why should I stop? You're overqualified for my contempt," the blonde girl said and grinned.

"Do you know that I can issue a notice of commiting scandal in crowded areas?", the vice president said and she seems annoyed already.

"You're acting almighty because President Manato is not here, am I right? But what I'm what telling is the truth. You're in no position of being a vice president, especially if you have a little sister from Class D," the blonde girl said and looked to the vice president's little sister.

I looked at her and she's so scared. I can see her shrinking due to embarrassment that her, being a Class D student, suddenly brought up. Wait. She's one of my classmates? I didn't knew about that.

"Hey, please watch your words," the vice president said with a tone of extreme anger.

"You looked scared, aren't you? Oh! I deeply apologize for not introducing myself earlier," the blonde girl said directed to the involved first-year.

I shifted my attention to my lunch. The conversation between them will go to nowhere. I decided not to mind them anymore and continue to eat. But please make sure that you won't disturb me here. A glass of water would probably helpe remove the uneasiness within me so I decided to drink on it.

"I'm Margaux Whitestone. A second-year student and the daughter of the royal family of England."

The water inside my mouth was being spat out violently… and that scenario will happen if I didn't stopped myself. Did I heard it right? This blonde girl is the daughter of royal family of England? I can't believe it but I heard it loud and clear. I noticed that the first-years were surprised by thar introduction. The persons involved looked at me in wonder upon seeing my reaction.

"That is an unpleasing response from a first-year like you," the blonde girl said staring to me coldly.

"I-I'm sorry," I said and bowed my head.

"Well, I don't care about you so I'll let it slide for now," the blonde girl, named Margaux, said and faced the vice president again.

"You should retire on your position now, Hakari. The academy will receive negative statements if other knew that the vice president has a sister from Class D."

"My sister has nothing to do with my position," the vice president said and her fists clenched. She's at the limit of her anger.

"Don't talk like it's a small matter, Hakari. In fact, everyone here is now talking about you and your sister," Margaux said and started to laugh.

The vice president grinned her teeth and gave a dagger-like stare on Margaux. "I want to declare duel with you, Margaux Whitestone! Our stakes will be expulsion!" the vice president shouted that caused the entire surroundings to tremble.

"Hmmm? You want to fight the future student council of this academy? As a reward for your insolence, I shall accept your invitation," Margaux said.

This is freaking bad. I'm not involved on this one but it scares the heck out of me. And did she said the future student council? Does it mean that she's the current Academy Rank 3? If the third-years were graduated, then she'll take the spot on being the Academy Rank 1.

"Come forth, Agartius!" Margaux shouted and a blue whirlwind formed beside the girl behind her. I totally forgot about her for a second. A knight enclosed in blue and black armor, appeared. He holds a lance on his right hand and the handle is too short that it perfectly fits for only a pair of hand.

"I have answered your call, Lady Margaux," the knight calmly said. His voice is so intimidating.

Everyone of the spectators, including me, are not blinking for even one second. This will be the first duel for this school year and the interesting part is that this is between the Academy Ranks 2 and 3.

"Misty!" The vice president also summoned her spirit that materialized beside her. She was just a small girl but due to her all black outfit, she makes a resemblance of a gothic lolita. Her most noticeable feature is the countless stitches on her body. It seems like she was being experimented for scientific purposes.

"Heh?? This will be my prey this time?" the gothic lolita said and grinned. Her sutured face is very terrifying to look.

Margaux extended both of her hands on her side and laughed like a demon lord before speaking. "Witness this, students of Pacific Fourth, for the vice president of this academy shall fall into my hands."

The other students screamed and cheered on both sides. Majority of Hakari supporters were mostly seniors while the juniors are for Margaux.

"Let's start this, Margaux!"

"Your downfall shall be my pleasure."

They both extended her right hand on their front and invoked the chant for the creation of an illusion world at the same.

"Commence du-"

"Yo."

A voice overlapped the loudness of the duelist's. That one word alone is enough to cause us all students to shift our attention to her. The sound of her heels hitting the floor can be slightly heard that brings intimidation each step. Her long black ponytail sways freely as she approaching us. Well, I'm sure I'm not the one she needs but I just happened to be near this two warfreaks.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your party, guys," the newcomer said.

"Tachibana-sensei," vice president said and calmness returned to her, probably.

"What urged you to interrupt our duel, sensei?"

"The academy principal wants to talk to you, Hakari," Tachibana-sensei said without giving any attention to Margaux.

"I'm sure that matter is not urgent, right?", Margaux complained as she showed her annoyance.

"Of course it can wait if you're willing to leave this academy after your duel." Tachibana-sensei stared at Margaux with ther extremely cold-eyes. The latter just clicked her tounge.

The atmosphere suddenly became filled with disappointment. The students, who waited the duel between Margaux and vice president to start, did it. Tachibana-sensei crossed her arms and turned her head slowly from left to right.

"If you want to let this duel continue, then I suggest you make one against me first," Tachibana-sensei said. "If someone won against me, I'll tell the academy principal about this duel and let his matter moved. Or maybe I prefer if all of you strike me at the same time right now."

No one dared to make a move or say a response. Tachibana-sensei is sure a freaking scary instructor. I don't know if it is because of her appearance that gives her a strict impression, or maybe because of the way she speaks.

Tachibana-sensei sighed and continued to speak. "Then that's it," she turned around and started to walk away.

Margaux followed her stare on Tachibana-sensei until the latter turned into the right hallway. She then returned her gaze to the vice president who is about to leave.

"Just be thankful that you'll last a little longer here," Margaux said and started to take her leave. The black knight disappeared after his master's second step. The other student, I think it's her attendant, followed.

"Too boring. I thought that that knight will be my lunch for today," the gothic lolita said in frustration.

The vice president dismissed her spirit and approached to her little sister, who was still sitting on her chair, to comfort her.

"I'm sorry for being a Class D student, onee-chan," the little sister said and she was about to cry anytime sooner.

"It's okay, Asuka. Don't worry about it." The vice president hugged her little sister and released her after three seconds to come to the principal's office.

I heard from some students that one of the most hidden secret here is the academy principal's identity. It is still unknown that started from the academy's construction up until now. Maybe it is a highly confidential matter because it may bring security threat.

The atmosphere slowly returned into its normal state. There are students who are already leaving, feeling dissatisfied because of the cancelled duel. I admit that I'm also one of them because I'm curious of what the Academy Ranks 2 and 3 can do.

0