Disappointment
107 6 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Koren and the blue-haired boy were put in the headmaster's office lobby where students would wait to talk to be called. Koren saw the two girls who got yelled out in his tracking class who instead of laughing with each other were fighting with each other.

"UGH, why were you talking to me?" One screamed

"What do you mean? YOU started talking first and now my parents are going to kill me!"

The two girls bickered unaware that everyone was looking at them.

The blue-haired boy was then called up by Eril. Koren sighed and waited for his name to be called.

20 minutes passed and the blue-haired boy left the office and was sent to the nurse because of his bleeding nose.

"Koren Knight, come to my office."

Koren opened his eyes to which he saw Eril and his potions teacher staring daggers at him. He rose from his seat and walked over to Eril who opened the door for him.

"Koren sit here."  Eril pointed at a chair facing her desk.

Koren sat down

"Professor you can leave." Eril pointed to the door excusing the shocked Professor. She then sat in front of Koren with tired eyes.

She sighed heavily, staring into Koren's deep blue eyes.

"Koren you really got me into a bad situation."

Koren understood that he probably shouldn't have assaulted the blue-haired boy but he couldn't just let what he said go.

"I'm sorry Auntie, but he literally almost killed my friend which is against the empires law."

Eril sighed.

"I know, but that boys parents are major sponsors to the school, if we expel him we will lose major funding."

Koren bit his lower lip, it turns out that "skill is what defines a student, not status." wasn't quite true.

"He will be suspended for a week and that was under you getting suspended for a day."

Koren looked up to Eril feeling betrayed. Eril understood what he was feeling but could not do anything. In an attempt to change the subject Eril talked to Koren about his classes and Professors.

"Hahaha, Laria has quite a temper but she is a very good ally if you leave a good impression on her." Eril laughed with Koren as he talked about his day.

"As for Ricio, he's a very mysterious man. I still don't know why he's not teaching Spearmanship he's also very attractive and he's very-"

Eril realized what she was saying when she saw Koren's shocked face.

"No, No, NO, that's not what I meant anyway, what else happened?" The flustered Headmaster was trying to change the subject again which Koren was not going to let happen.

"My parents once said that you and Professor Ricio were once in a relationship, I guess they weren't lying."

"Those god damn sons of-" Eril muttered under her breath.

"Yes, Ricio and I were in a relationship long ago. But it soon fell apart when he wanted to move to Corendale and I wanted to stay here." Eril looked down with sad eyes recalling the bitter memory.

"So why don't you guys get back together? You guys both work here and it still looks like you guys still have feelings for each other."

"If it was only that easy." Eril sighed

*RING RING*

"Well you've been here long enough and the school day's already over but-"

Eril paused

"I'm going to have to tell your parents about what happened today and your one day suspension."

"No wait.."

Koren looked nervously at Eril who seemed to understand what Koren was about to say.

"I know your parents aren't very "lenient" about this stuff, but it is Academy protocol."

Koren looked down at his shoes recalling a memory where Steve did something somewhat similar to what Koren did and got severely punished.

"Well, your brother and your friend are waiting for you outside, and don't worry too much. I'll try my best to calm them down."

Koren said his goodbyes to Eril and walked out of the Headmaster's office and saw Steve and Kien.

"KOREN!" Kien ran to Koren practically jumping on him

"You saved my life." Kien had tears in his eyes

Koren laughed bitterly and walked over to Steve. Steve looked at Koren with pity to where he said two very meaningful words.

"Good Luck."

Koren bitterly laughed as the trio walked over to the Train Station. They talked until Koren and Steve had to get off the train.

The brothers walked in silence until they reached their house where Steve finally broke the silence.

"You did the right thing, I'm sorry I wasn't there to have your back. I let Aaron down."

Koren could tell Steve meant everything he said

"Steve what do you mean, this is all my fault and there was no literal possible way you would have been there to stop me."

"I know but I still feel bad.."

Koren sighed and walked into the house.

Instead of the normal lively and loud atmosphere, the house was completely silent. Koren walked to the kitchen to where he saw his mom and dad talking to where they instantly turned around and looked at Koren. Ian and Sasha looked at each other again before looking at Koren disappointedly. Ian than broke the silence with a sigh.

"Koren… how did you manage to get suspended on your FIRST day at school?"

"I-"

"No, I don't want to hear your excuses."

"I know what that kid did was fucked up, but that didn't mean you break his fucking nose."

Koren looked down at his feet biting his lower lip

"I'm disappointed, I thought at least you were smart but I guess you aren't. At least if Steve did something like this he would have something to show for, but you… your just a disappointment."

Koren and Sasha looked at Ian in disbelief and before anyone could say anything, Koren ran out of the front door.

"KOREN WAIT!" Sasha yelled after the boy but it was too late because he was already gone

Sasha looked at Ian with disbelief

"Do you know what you just said."

"I was just angry..." Ian replied nonchalantly

"Do you remember all those times you forced him to learn swordsmanship and wasted all of his early years, and now you are calling him a disappointment!"

"Tch, stop acting like your so good, you're the one who made him learn magic " Ian scoffed

"Oh god, he ran into the corrupt forest!" Sasha who was ignoring Ian suddenly shrieked

"Ah fuck."

The corrupt forest was a piece of land in Koren's village that was known for having murderous monsters and evil magic. Going into there was suicide, but Koren was unknowing of this and was already running deep into the forest.

*

Koren was running into the forest with tears in his eyes. He was told that he was a disappointment countless times but the impact was nothing less than a punch to the stomach.

'If only I was stronger.'

"If only I could show them!"

Koren weakly smiled to himself people often told him you could make up for talent with hard work but he now knew those were all half-assed lies.

Koren looked up to the sky and started screaming

"If there is a god out there, please hear my wish. I want to be strong, I want to show them that I'm like them... no, I'm better than them."

Once Koren finished screaming at the sky, he quickly realized what he was doing was useless and laughed at how pitiful he was. As he turned around to walk out from the forest, he noticed a shiny object under some leaves.

"What's this..."

Koren pulled out the mysterious object and dusted it. It was a bow and a very nice one at that.

Koren touched the bow with care and saw words scratched onto the bow.

"Dami Jeri Mano Taro Feot." Koren muttered

Right when Koren finished reading the inscription a blue light lit up from the bows carvings and a large blue figure appeared right in front of Koren, something similar to a ghost.

"WAAAAH" Koren and the ghost screamed at the same time

"Wha, who are you!" Koren screamed as he started to back away from the bearded ghost.

"What do you mean "Who am I?", I am Sebastian Kang, you should have heard all about me!"

Koren looked as if someone had told him his parents have died.

"Oh god." Koren's horrified expression didn't seem to get better

"What?" The ghost exclaimed

"Sebastian Kang was last seen 20 years ago and is presumed to be dead."

"What I'm right here?' The ghost pointed at himself, but as he looked down at his body he noticed the small fact that his body was no longer there.

"What the FUCK!" The ghost yelled as he pushed his arm into his body just to see it come from the other side.

Koren stared at the speechless ghost, who couldn't seem to say anything for quite the time.

"Kid how many years has it been since I've died?"

"20 years ago sir." Koren quickly composed himself

"Just call me Sebastian," Sebastian replied as he continued to sort out his thoughts

"Oh god... The Empire must have taken over is that right."

"Yes?" Koren didn't know what Sebastian meant because the Empire has always been in power over the two other kingdoms.

"Those god damn bastards must have assassinated me," Sebastian muttered as she crumpled his hand into a fist

Sebastian looked up from the ground and stared at Koren. The two of them stared at each other until Sebastian suddenly started to laugh.

"Are you Sasha and Ian's kid?"

"Y-Yeah, how did you know." People never knew that Koren was Sasha and Ian's son and even yelled at him because they thought that he was lying.

"What a coincidence." Sebastian chuckled

"Before I ask anything I see you're troubled right now, tell me what's up. I know you didn't come to this dangerous forest for any reason."

Koren told Sebastian about what happened today and all his troubles.

"Huh, I see."

The ghost paused and started smiling.

"Do you know what class I am."

"Uh, isn't is an Archer?"

"Yep, and I was the best one to have ever lived."

"Let's make a deal."

"Huh?"

"I will train you to be the best Archer there is, better than me even."

"What do you get in return." Koren wasn't stupid which was something he took pride in.

"Well, when its time, I want you to murder those god damn bastards who killed me."

Sebastian gave a toothy grin

Only the chirps of birds were heard as Koren thought to himself in silence. Having a legendary figure offer to teach you something you want to learn, Koren would be dumb to say no.

"Deal." Koren's voice was filled with assurance which made Sebastian's smile even brighter.

Sebastian grabbed Koren's hand and the two archers shook hands.

This was the moment Koren Knight made the greatest ally of all time.

4