Tournament: Part One
69 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ever since the news of a tournament broke out, first-year students from all over have been sent into a frenzy to get teachers onto their sides. However, since there are only 12 freshman teachers, including Mrs. Laria, only the best of the best were chosen.

Koren even got one on one training with Laria every day.

"Who taught you how to use the axe, your skill is better than some top tier adventurers,"

Laria commented while watching Koren train.

"Well, he is MY student, after all!" Sebastian chimed

"Oh, I learned a lot from books."

'Books? You bastard, I'm a book now?" Sebastian yelled

Laria nodded, clearly impressed which made Sebastian even angrier.

"Ok, that's enough for today tomorrow is the first day of the tournament so get some rest."

Koren nodded and thanked Laria for her training sessions before heading off back home.

*

The tournament is hosted in its own building, called the colosseum, which is only opened for events like this. Students lined up, all trying to enter. However, a guard refused to let anyone in except for contestants.

"Koren, over here!" Laria yelled

Koren looked to his right, where he saw Laria with weapons in her hands.

"Ah.."

Koren swiftly walked over to her to see the weapons he was going to use for the tournament. Due to previous circumstances where unfair weapons were used, the Academy made a rule that you cannot use your weapons and that a teacher would provide standard weapons for you.

"A heavy axe and a short bow just like you wanted."

Koren nodded and started to inspect the weapons. The axe that Laria gave him wasn't as heavy as Koren's regular axe, but it was well enough to overpower a sword. The short bow that she provided, however, was explicitly what he wanted.

"Your match will happen after two fights."  Laria nodded towards to a guard who let Koren and her enter the Colosseum

The Colosseum was something that you would only find in a video game. The walls outside of it are made of steel, however inside the whole thing is covered in sandstone, giving off a weird feeling to Koren.

Koren gazed upon the battlefield as he walked up the carved stairs.

"Now!" Laria clapped her hands together, the noise echoing all over the colosseum.

"Let me explain the rules again."

"We will place protective magic on you that will save you from 3 life-endangering blows. If you get hit three times, your protective magic will go away, and you will have lost your battle."

"The protective magic is not perfect. If you get jabbed in your stomach, you will still feel pain."

Koren nodded

"Now that we got that over with, let's enjoy the show," Laria said as students began to rush into the Colleseum.

*

"Which freshman student are you going to look at Headmaster Laria?" A teacher asked

"Hmm, I'm not sure yet..." Laria responded half-heartedly

"NOW, THE FRESHMAN ONE ON ONE TOURNAMENT WILL NOW COMMENCE!" An announcer yelled as two students walked into the field.

"AWWWWAH!" The roars of the crowd echoed across the colosseum.

"For the first match, we will have Cyres, the Mage against Nile the Swordsman."

"FIGHT!"

The swordsman quickly rushed up to the mage using his body weight to get a hit in, unexpectedly; the Mage decided to take the hit head-on.

"What is he doing..." Koren muttered however once he looked up, a face of shock filled his face

"Oh my god!" Shrieks of surprise rang out from the crowd

Above the swordsman were countless massive ice spears pointing at him from all directions.

The swordsman started to notice the crowd's shrieks, but before he could look up, three massive ice spears in a rapid succession shot at his body, leaving his body lifeless.

A group of healers ran up to see if he was alright.

"WHAT A DISPLAY OF POWER FROM THE MAGE CYRES!" The announcer yelled, however the cheers of the crowd were nowhere to be found. 

"Sebastian, do you think I can beat him?"  Koren whispered quietly

Sebastian shrugged

"Don't know, he seemed to be careless about the first few hits. If you quickly attacked him, you might be able to win."

Koren nodded, staring intently at the mysterious boy.

Some times passed before the healers confirmed the swordsman's condition. There was no damage done to his body due to the magic shield, but he passed out from the pain.

"NOW FOR THE NEXT BATTLE MATCH, WE WILL HAVE KYLA THE SPEARMAN AGAINST YU THE SPEARMAN!"

"Ooh, a spearman battle," Laria remarked.

"DO WELL KYLAAA!" Koren yelled

Kyla turned to Koren smiling brightly.

Laria turned to him, confused.

"Oh, I thought you didn't have a girlfriend?"

"Noooo, she's just a friend," Koren said flustered

"That's what they all say," Laria responded while shaking her head.

"BATTLE!"

Kyla ran up to Yu at lightning-fast speed with her spear in one hand. Not expecting this, Yu responded with a head-on collision.

The two spearmen crossed their spears, both unable to breakthrough. Kyla rose her foot doing a roundhouse kick at Yu's face dazing him. Taking this opportunity, she went for a jab into his stomach.

"THAT'S ONE SHIELD DOWN FOR YU!" The announcer yelled

"UWWAAAH." roared the crowd.

Yu quickly got back onto his feet, waiting for Kyla's next move. Kyla decided to retake the initiative.

She kicked up at the sand on the ground, creating something similar to a smokescreen.

Yu grabbed his spear's shaft inserting mana into it and slammed it onto the ground dispersing the sand.

"GOT YOU!" Yu yelled angrily

"No, I got you," Kyla said coolly as she slashed Yu from behind, ending it with a stab.

"KYLA THE SPEARMAN SHOWING HIGH LEVELS OF INTELLECT AND STRENGTH!"

"KYLA, KYLA, KYLA!" The crowd cheered

"Wow, you pulled something special," Laria commented.

Sebastian nodded in agreement.

"It's time to go, you ready?" Laria said facing Koren

Koren smiled with fire in his eyes.

"More ready than I can ever be."

*

"NOW FOR THE NEXT BATTLE, WE HAVE KOREN THE ARCHER AGAINST JACOB THE SWORDSMAN!"

"An archer? Against a Swordsman?" whispers of confusion and worry befell onto the stadium.

"BATTLE!" The announcer yelled, immediately after a large BANG and a scream of pain emerged from the field.

"Uh, what happened?" The announcer began to frown

Jacob was lying on the ground, unresponsive.

"Is that it? what happened?" The audience murmured in displeasure

"It seems that Koren the Archer has won the fight.." The announcer declared half unsure himself

*

"Oh my god!" A woman shrieked from the stands

"DANIEL WE HAVE TO GET HIM IN OUR GUILD!"

She shouted towards a tall man who seemed to be her subordinate.

"Natashia, he's still a student…" The large man responded embarrassed

"Please, please, please-"

The tall man sighed, knowing that she wouldn't shut up unless she got what she wanted.

"I'll see what I can do."

The Woman smiled brightly.

*

"How can a mere student-" The teachers were all shaken from the scene that played right before them.

Koren immediately after the Announcer yelled battle, threw his axe at his opponent's head, knocking him out instantly.

Eril started to giggle, which was a sight of itself.

"Headmaster?"

"Aaah, yes Paul?" Eril started to wipe the tears out of her eyes

"Does that count as a win?"

"Why I thought we got over that, of course, it is."

This reminded her of a saying an old friend told her, 'Revenge is always sweeter when you have an audience.'

"May he rest in peace."

The teachers grimaced, upon hearing those words out of context.

3