Chapter 1
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scott rolled along the streets of the small city of Bluehill on his skateboard, sun beaming on his thick Afro and torn jeans swayed in the wind. His older sister always complained about them every time he skated. ‘You got jeans that are actually not broken! Why wear those hideous things?!’ is what she always said, every, single, time.. she was like a broken replay button off the most annoying song in the world.

He pulled up to the main entrance of the school and stepped off the board, the sounds of other students in the hallway was blocked out by the pop music blasting at high volume from his earphones. He passed by the other students, not caring about how he stood out, so long as no one got in the way he didn’t care..

In the hallway amidst the hundreds of students he saw his friends Cody and and Jacob . After taking off his headset and turning of the music he already could tell they were at it again....for the fifth time in one week..

‘I’m telling you crystals are stronger! How can a watermage possibly defeat them??’ Cody argued.

‘Cause crystal golems aren’t made of real crystal!! Its mana so condensed it takes a solid form in the SHAPE of crystals!’

‘Its still much harder than water!’

‘Water magic liquidizes it! That’s how the rules work!’

Scott knew Jacob was right of course, he had the rule book for Heroes Quest and read it several times over. Still Cody always had to argue with him. Every time they went at it he could have sworn his bright blonde hair flared, normally being the gentle giant of the trio, he took Heroes quest VERY seriously.

Jacob was just as bad, being the short skinny kid with large glasses but with a better memory than most.

‘Now you listen here you Scott!’ Cody stopped mid sentence and did their usual greeting fist bump.

‘Now now kids what have we been telling you about playing nice?’

‘That it involves playing by the rules?’ Jacob said right before Cody opened his mouth.

‘So we’re still up for Heroes Quest after school or do you two have a date?’

‘As if!!’ the bell rung, signaling the start of class. ‘Cya later alligator!’ Scott wandered off.

‘Seriously who even says that anymore?’ Jacob merely snickered as he closed his locker.

*

Sam was suddenly pushed against the yellow brick wall behind the school by the larger kids. There was nothing he could do to fight back, he was medium sized but skinny as a bone and always hid his face under a hoodie. Kyle and his gang of five was much stronger and always together, pretty much everyone was afraid of them.

‘What’s the matter shrimp? You scared?’ he kept insulting as he poked Sam’s shoulder incredibly hard. It hurt but he tried his best not to show it, to not give them the satisfaction.

‘What? You’re not gonna say anything? Forgotten how to speak have you?’ he poked even harder, his shoulder hurting like hell.

‘ENGLISH!!! Do you SPEAK it??!’ his friends giggled and snickered behind him as he yelled in Sam’s face.

‘Nah of course not! Why would such a little shrimp know anything?’ that smugness was almost worse than the anger.

He *gently* slapped his cheek as he walked away, leaving Sam once again hurting and humiliated. He hated it, he hated Kyle! He hated his so called “friends” and he hated this school! Anyone not in a massive friend group or big as a mountain was a target, kids like him was just fodder while the teachers did nothing. What he wouldn’t give for an asteroid to just crush Kyle and company to mere paste...or for a truck to run them over! That’s just how much he hated them..

He was about to go to class, once again apologizing to the teacher for being late....only for “her” to get in the way...

Samantha...the most beautiful, tallest girl in school, even taller than most boys, flawless olive skin and long, dark brown hair tied in, a long ponytail reaching down below her shoulders. He threw himself back behind the corner just as she turned his way, hoping to god she didn’t see him. If she learned he existed than he would most likely be humiliated beyond anything he had felt thus far!

Well this whole day was just crap, starting with Kyle cornering him to Samantha blocking the entrance. There was no way he could go past her directly!! But if he walked the opposite way he risked running into Kyle again...he stayed and listened, it sounded like she was talking on the phone. She clearly spoke but no one answered, not from what he could hear anyway....screw it he hated school anyway! He snuck a bit further away from the corner and began climbing the fence that only stood on one side of the school for some reason and left, taking the day off. It wasn’t like anyone was seriously gonna care anyway..

He walked away from the populated part of town and wandered off into the woods, the one place he ever got any peace these days. He sat down by the shallow river, surrounded by green trees and just listened to the sounds around him. The chirping off birds, the water being coursing onwards with the occasional wind ruffling the leaves gently.

How did all come to this? Why him? What singled him out from the hundreds of students? He always tried his best to remain unseen, hidden in the background. Apparently that didn’t help against that asshole Kyle...

Why couldn’t that idiot just realize he wanted to be left alone? What was so wrong about that??

He laid down on the soft earth below him and looked up to the branches and leaves above him, narrowly covering the blue sky. What he wouldn’t give to just leave school and never come back. Maybe move to a cabin in the middle of a forest somewhere? And just do this all day? Chilling on the ground and fishing by a river without a care in the world. That would the dream...

*

The trio stood around the table, paper and pen in Jacob’s hands. Dices in the boys clenched fists as the game field laid unfolded on the table between them.

‘You hear a strange noise coming from the darkness of the forest, like an echo of the past battle that took place there. What do you do?’ Jacob said in a overly dramatic voice.

‘I light my torch to help illuminate the forest.’ Cody said as he rolled the dice. ‘Dammit! A sudden gust of wind blows the fires out and the torch is now wasted..’ Cody drew a cross next to the word torch on the paper list in front him, marked inventory. He couldn’t believe the terrible luck he had lately..

‘And I....’ Scott rolled his dice. ‘fail to cast a light spell...’

‘You two are suddenly blinded by Scott’s spell and wild creatures takes advantage of it and attacks from all sides, you both die.’

‘Worst, run, ever!’ Cody sighted, dropping his paper and dice on the table.

‘Man you two suck tonight. That had to be the quickest run I have ever seen.’

‘Whatever, what do you wanna do instead?’

‘Lets take our bikes to the woods instead. Better than this crappy haunted forest.’

All three left out the door. ‘Mom, dad we’re going out!’

‘Ok sweetie be back soon!’ Jacob’s mom called back from the kitchen.

They got on their bikes and rode off, the sun had barely began to set and summer was in the air. Only two weeks before summer break and all three couldn’t wait. Months of biking, playing heroes quest and doing whatever they wanted.

*

The alarms went off in a split second and guards rushed together in groups. Someone had been stupid enough to break into FSI’s lab in broad daylight! Unfortunately that first overconfidence was shattered  they were gunned down by a rain of bullets from the machine gun materializing in the intruders hand. He’s body was covered in some mechanical armor colored light gray. The face had a similar appearance to a gas mask with the eyes lit up red and instead of the round air containers was smaller bars that was part of the air filtration system.

A long dark brown coat covered almost his entire back, down to the ankles and helmet could easily be hidden under the large cowboy hat.

The machine gun vanished in some blue light as the intruder kept casually walking forward, not at all worried about the security of this place. As he came to the mechanical steel door another object suddenly appeared in his hand. A laser cutter in the basic shape of a gun, cutting trough the steel and leaving the sides glowing hot. He stepped inside to the much larger lab with a giant robotic human already waiting for him there. Much larger than a natural man, almost the height of a buss and arms over twice as wide as a bodybuilder. His robotic suit was black with red markings over his shoulder pads, knuckles and kneecaps, the face hidden behind a black visor helmet.

‘Hunter, didn’t think you were stupid enough to come here.’

‘Out of my way Charge. I’ll kill you if I have to.’

‘Like you could manage.’ he pointed his hands towards Hunter and red laser beams fired out towards him. Hunter barely dodged it in time and materialized a grenade launcher, firing off two at Charge. In two sudden flashes there was a cloud of smoke obscuring him until a broken control panel was thrown at him. Charge sprinted at him, trying to tackle him but Hunter dropped a smoke bomb and rolled aside. Charge crashed against the metal wall, leaving a huge dent in it and kept swinging his fists at his enemy. Hunter avoided it with superhuman agility, shooting the giant henchman with two hand pistols only for the bullets to bounce off. He briefly landed on Charge’s fist and was thrown up in the air. Charge fired of his laser at Hunter right above him. Hunter was quick thought, a metallic wire fired out of his wrist, grabbing onto the roof and pulled him away in the last second. The laser followed him, cutting trough the roof as he did so. Hunter threw a charged energy grenade at him, the sudden blue blast knocked Charge back crashing into a beam and breaking it.  

The roof cracked and trembled right above them, the lab was already growing unstable from their fight.

Hunter turned to his price, inside that giant metal box that produced that constant humming noise was the very thing that ruined everything.

Now it was just a matter of destroying it, if FSI loved this power so much he would gladly take it from them.

He conjured the key card into his hand and injected it into the main control panel. The boxes opened, cold steam ejecting from every opening and the artifact revealed itself to him. A small glowing rock, big enough to fit in his hand.

He then took out a shotgun and put the barrel real close to the shard.

‘Cya in hell you freak of nature..’ but before he could press the trigger a red laser knocked him aside, straight trough another pillar.

Charge walked over to him as the coat and hat was burned off, smoke came of Hunter’s metal shell as she struggled to get onto his feet, grunting in pain.

‘Can’t let you do that mate. The bosses got big plans for that comet and some renegade isn’t gonna get in the way.’

He picked him up and threw him at another pillar, denting it. Screens with the words ‘WARNING TAKING SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE’ flashed before Hunters eyes. ‘So..you say..’ as Hunter was lifted again he materialized a heat laser within that second. As the flame colored blast quickly enveloped his whole head, Charge dropped him while staggering back, screaming as his head was almost burned from just the temperature trough his helmet. He swung his fist wildly in front of him, making a desperate attempt to kill Hunter only to instead strike and break the third pillar. The roof shook and began to break apart over them, pieces breaking off one by one and falling to the floor.

Hunter took out a rocket launcher and blew a hole in the roof before sprinting towards the shard. He grabbed it and lifted himself out with his grappling hook. Just as soon as he climbed out he was hit by another laser shot from beneath him. The energy of the laser clashed with the shard and a explosion of purple blue’ish light erupted around Hunter. The shard was launched high into the air, eventually disappearing out of sight.

*

The sky was turning red along the horizon, the town of Bluehill was ending the workday and people went home from work. Samantha was walking home after spending a few hours with her friends at the store, having sipped lemonade and discussing plans for the summer.

On her way she walked past the hiking trail that so many joggers used, absorbed in her own world. She was gonna spend so many days on the beach, getting that tan she always dreamed off. Shame that her bestie Julie was going away over the summer tough, flying off to Europe with her family and leaving her alone in this tiny town in the middle of boring state. As she was walking a strange light caught her eye. Up above was a falling star, super bright and clear. But the strange part that it was purple...almost pink even... What kind of comet or meteor or whatever had colors?

*

The three friends were just wasting time in the forest, smacking trees with branches laying on the ground and talking geek stuff.

Jacob and Cody was, as usual, so absorbed in their conversation that neither the purple light currently zooming across the sky like a crashing spaceship. ‘Hey guys!! Look!’ Scott almost shouted as all of them look at it. ‘Woah...that’s weird..’

‘Is it just me or is it...getting closer?’ now that she mentioned it...it was coming almost straight towards them!!

‘Hide!! Take cover!!’

All three scattered, jumping behind trees and bracing themselves for impact.

*

Sam was walking around by himself, enjoying the silence. Pretty soon he was sure that his parents would start worrying him so perhaps he should BOOM!

Sam almost jumped out of skin, the sound of a explosion, or something like it, sent the birds flying away in terror. He could have sworn he felt the ground vibrate right under him and for a split second he saw a flash of light. He turned around and saw something behind a wall of bushes and low hanging branches. Unsure of what to do he quietly made his way, slow as possible. His common sense told him it was stupid, that he should run away. But his child like curiosity pushed him onwards, wanting to see what made that impact.

When he moved some of it aside he saw a crater ahead of him, some small amounts of smoke lifted off from the ground right in the middle and all plants had been scattered along with large piles of earth and mud.

What was that? He was about to get a closer look when he heard something. The shuffling of leaves and breaking of branches. Someone was coming! He was about to hide when three others suddenly appeared. Sam recognized them as his classmates, Cody, Jacob and...something with S...

They seemed just as surprised as him switching staring at him and the crater. ‘Hey you! Do you know what this is?’ the afro haired kid asked him and Sam shook his head no. Slowly Scott made his way down, approaching the middle. ‘Be careful Scott!’ Jacob told him, holding her hands against her chest in sheer nervousness. But as Scott got to close the source of the smoke began to light up in purple. All the kids panic and Scott turned around, trying to run back to his friends. The light floated up in the air and Sam began to back up, almost tripping over something. The lights began to approach them, floating ever closer to the kids. Jacob screamed in high pitched terror as they all began to flee, lights following. Sam felt a sudden sting in his back and fell to his knees, for a second he was sure that was it. That thing, whatever it was, had just hit him and now he was dead. He was super dead!

Only for...nothing to happen. He sat there on the ground frozen in fear, unsure of what to do. He was far to terrified to look behind him but his back suddenly felt normal. He didn’t see any light and heard no sound whats so ever.

*

Samantha was walking on the jogging road towards the impact. She desperately wanted to know what crashed down in the forest, her heart racing with excitement.

Or it was until she heard a blood chilling scream coming from the forest. She stopped dead in her tracks, staring frozen and terrified in that direction. Then, out of the trees she saw something. A light floating in the air towards her. She was about to flee when it shot off like a bullet right into her torso. She gripped the ribcage where it landed, holding on as hard as she could. Her heart almost flying straight out of her. That thing just went into her! It...didn’t hurt....she was supposed to be in agonizing pain right right now, bleeding all over the place but she felt just fine! Panicked but unharmed. What just happened to her? What was that thing? She didn’t dare to stay and find out, she turned around running back home as fast as her legs could carry her.

*

The door suddenly slammed shut as Scott came home in an almost state of panic. His sister Regina came running from the living room and hugged her little brother tightly.

‘Oh my god you’re home!! Are you alright? Are you hurt? How close were you??’

‘I’m fine! We saw it crash, got scared and ran home.’

‘Thank god!!’ she seemed relieved at his partial lie. No way in hell was he gonna tell her he actually went up and close to it, that would be stupid.

They quickly went to the living room to listen in on the news, images of police cars advancing on the forest did nothing to ease his fear.

‘The police is searching the whole area top to bottom and has so far not found any sign of the strange pink meteor that struck down. They found the clear crater but reports it as empty.’ the news caster said in a state of disbelief, even when there he to found it almost to unbelievably when they said it like that. Yet the live footage of the crater reminded him it really was empty, he once again stared at the very crater he so stupidly approached before, only now an army of cops surrounded the area.

*

The next day the school were all talking about it. No one couldn’t focus on anything else but the meteor.

‘I saw it! I saw it in the distance just last night!’

‘I’m actually living nearby so I felt it land! It was like the ground shook right underneath me!’

It was the same everywhere, meteor, meteor and more meteor talk. Sam thought he was gonna go mad from it all. Like they were all gonna find out and he would be dragged away to some lab, never to see the sun again!

All the time he stayed under the radar, refused to talk to anyone, even refused to look someone in the eye! It took every single ounce of willpower to not freak out it front of someone. At first break he stayed right by the corner far away from everyone else, especially from the trio that saw him there. Scott, Cody and Jacob were the only ones who saw him there and who were guilty of the same thing.

He was planning on just staying there there till break was over but he had no such luck. Already he could see Kyle and gang approaching, and at the worst possible time! He turned the corner and began to run, he needed a hiding spot and fast! He ran until he ended up behind the school, nothing there but a small parking space, mostly for bikes. There was also the side of the school gym standing next to the main building. There was no hiding there, he could jump behind a car but knew they would still find him.

He kept running behind the gym, the panic of being caught by them rising quickly.

He was sure that running from them would only make it worse, but he couldn’t let anyone get close to him, not now.

He kept going outside the school grounds, over the near empty car road and towards the nearby houses, completely sure that Kyle and his gang were right behind him. As he came to a crossing in between some houses he was right, he could hear them running behind him and his panic only flared up even worse, like his life depended on it. Without even thinking about it he jumped and climbed a high wooden fence, his hands grabbing onto the top as his feet kicked him upwards. Just as he was about to make it over he tripped and fell landing face down on the grass. He tried top get up again but failed, something held him down. He looked behind and screamed in absolute fear as he noticed it, his foot was inside the fence! His foot was actually stuck inside the wooden fence! To make matters worse it was right then Kyle made it over, landing down next to him.

‘Alright shrimp you’re dead!’ he grabbed Sam’s sweather and tried pulling up but failed. Sam screamed in agony as it felt like his foot was about to come off! Kyle only noticed he was stuck on something and dropped the smaller kid when he saw it to.

‘YOUR FOOT! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO YOUR FOOT??!’

Then his other two friends came and saw the same thing, all four panicking.

The three bullies looked to each other, no one having any idea of what to do.

‘Screw this I’m out of here!! I’m not taking the fall for this!!’

Kyle yelled as he climbed out again, swiftly followed by his entourage.

Sam was left alone there, crying and shaking. Thoughts of him dying there, stuck to the fence, or him loosing the foot forever flooded his mind. Not like this! Please don’t let it all end like this!! He kicked the fence with his one free foot, trying with everything he had to free himself until, be sheer reflex, his foot got unstuck. It just...got loose. Pulled free right out of the wall! The pain was still there but...he literary saw his foot phase straight trough solid wood...

He just sat there, staring at the spot. There was no hole, no damage besides the minor marks from his kicking. There was not a single splinter on his shoe, the pain was the only proof that it actually happened...but..how?

He then snapped out of it when he realized that someone probably heard him and he was at the risk of getting caught breaking in. He needed to get out of there and figure this out later!

He stood up, a sudden sharp pain shot trough his foot when it touched the ground. He wobbled himself over, trying to climb over again but it was useless now. His foot was in to much pain. His fear only increased by the thought of the house owner seeing him, he needed to get out now!! then he fell forward, face down on the other side... he looked behind him and now his legs phased trough it...but he didn’t feel it. It “felt” like there was no fence there in the first place...slowly he crawled forward, his legs phasing trough the wooden planks with ease. He was beyond in shock now, what the hell was that? What was happening to him??

*

‘I’m telling you something bizarre happened to us! We should tell someone, have them check our blood or scan our brains or something!’ Cody argued, his face still pale with worry.

‘No! We’re not telling anybody! Have you any idea just how much trouble we’d be in??’ Jacob argued back. They always argued like this..only this time it wasn’t mere game lore, this was serious. That light entered their system, who knew what would happen to them now?

‘But do any of us feel anything weird?’ Scott asked, the trio briefly falling silent.

‘No...besides freaking out I feel nothing.’

‘Ya me neither, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t anything wrong!’ Cody said.

‘Maybe but do you realize what would happen if someone knew?? We would be hauled off by the police to...well to somewhere! Our whole summer, and perhaps our whole life, would be ruined!!’ Jacob retaliated, refusing to reveal what happened to anyone.

‘What about Sam? He was hit to wasn’t he?’ they all stood silent again, realizing he could compromise them.. Or maybe not as he would be in just as much trouble as them.

‘Where is he by the way?’

‘I don’t know, he’s always silent and never hangs out with anyone.’

‘We need to go find him, check if he has felt anything weird since then.’

‘Ya let’ the school bell rang in that moment, signaling everyone that breaks over.

‘We’ll find him at lunch, lets go. And remember, not a word to anyone!’

*

Samantha could not focus on anything but yesterday during classes. The teachers word just passed right over her as she played the event over and over again. How could the police not find anything? She was sure that she heard someone in screaming bloody murder in forest, right before that...whatever it was shot right into her.

She subtly felt her chest where it pierced over and over again, having spent an hour by the mirror last night inspecting herself for even the smallest markings or slightest scar. Yet nothing, she neither saw or felt anything out of the ordinary, she was still just...herself. But what was that? And who was screaming? Did those things make her disappear?

So many questions and yet there was nothing to give her answers.

At lunch she saw Kyle and his two...were they technically friends or just goons? They acted weird, like panicked somehow.

‘But we can’t leave him there his foot is’ ‘SHUT IT!! We’re not saying a word got it!? The shrimp is on his own.’

They had to be talking about Sam. The way they treated him was disgusting, the constant bullying no wonder the boy stayed away from everyone! But was Sam in trouble? What about his foot? Did they somehow seriously injure him? Her paranoid thoughts pictured his foot broken, and him laying on the ground somewhere clutching it in pain. She felt a strong ball of disgust and discomfort form in the pit of her stomach. She tried looking for him, helping him was at least some way to get her mind off yesterday but to her further discomfort she didn’t find him anywhere. He seemingly vanished like a ghost...or maybe he was just chased out of the school grounds in which case she would never him before afternoon classes.

Before she went to class tough she decided to grab a drink. She went over the small water fountain and leaned in only for no water to come out. Instead there was some weird noises inside it and it coughed out short bursts of steam instead. ‘OW!’ she swiftly threw her hand back as the metal handle started to suddenly burn her. In barely 2 seconds that thing became insanely hot, so hot she couldn’t touch it. Just what was happening? First yesterday and now the water fountain is broken. Weird stuff was happening and she didn’t like it..

*

The trio went to the forest again, although not close to the area were the comet hit. The whole area was off limits, yellow police tapes were attached to the numerous trees there, keeping everyone out. They walked among the river instead, still debating on what to do.

‘Ok all I’m saying is’ ‘Look!’ they spotted Sam sitting alone just a bit further away, looking down at the gushing water.

They casually walked over to him. When he looked up and spotted them he tried to stand up to run but fell down, clutching his foot.

‘You alright dude?’ Scott asked, hunkering down next to him.

‘Ya just...fell and hurt my ankle is all.’

There was no point in running now, he realized it. With that ankle of his he would never get away. ‘So....crazy day yesterday huh?’

‘Ya...’

‘Have...you noticed anything strange since then? Anything that’s different?’ Sam never considered that. That weird glowing thing did this to him, making him phase trough objects! But should he tell them? Or would that be to risky? Would they even call him crazy?

They sat there for a short while, an uncomfortable silence hanging over them as Sam tried to decide how to answer. As they waited Jacob put his finger in the water, feeling its temperature. ‘Well you see....I don’t know how to explain it.’ Now the trio started getting worried. Something did happen to him!

But as he went silent again, choosing his words carefully Cody noticed Jacob clutching his finger. ‘Hey Jacob did you hurt yourself or something?’

‘No the water is just really cold, my finger started loosing feeling.’

‘Really? I don’t recall it being that cold..’ Cody dipped his own finger in it. ‘Ya I don’t feel it...the temperature seems pretty normal.’ Then Scott did the same to check with Jacob trying it out a second time.

Then suddenly the boys hands shot up, away from the water.

‘Jeez what was that??’

‘Its like it started freezing in two seconds flat!’

Jacob stared at finger in shock, the water on it started freezing, turning to ice, shining in the sunlight right before her eyes. He tried moving His finger and the the ice fell off with ease, it offered no resistance to him at all.

‘Woah.....’ he placed his finger in the water yet again and the water around it started freezing, a small clump of ice grew around his finger. Everyone stared wide eyed, not having any idea of what just happened.

‘What....was that?’

‘I...I don’t know...’ Jacob beyond confused. Why did the water suddenly freeze? It didn’t make any sense.

Cody backed up in shock, suddenly feeling very uncomfortable being around his best friend. He wasn’t planning on becoming a human popsicle any time soon. He sat down on a dead tree, broken off long ago and still barely attached to its log. As everyone sat quiet he heard some weird crackling below him and before he knew it he suddenly sat on the ground. Everyone turned to him, seeing the log broken off...by him. No one said a word, just staring in shock. Everyone knew what happened, but now how. Cody was big, everyone knew that. But that log should have held his weight easily!

‘You alright Cody?’

‘Ya I think so...’

Scott reached out his hand to help him up the second they touched Cody almost fell back, screaming ‘OW!’ and shaking his hand on the air like he was just burned.

‘Do you really think now is a good time for a prank?!’

‘What prank?? I didn’t do anything!’

‘Lies! You shocked me!’

‘Did not! Look!’ he hand out his hands, there was nothing on it. No device, no ring, no nothing...

‘But...I was shocked! I’m sure of it!’

‘Uhh Scott..’

‘Ya?’

‘Your hair its...standing up..’

‘Its supposed to stand up, its an afro!’

‘No I mean more than usual! Like its almost...spiky.’

‘Ya..actually you’re right.’ Cody agreed with Jacob when he looked closer. Scott ran his hand trough them and felt it. It was like rubbing a balloon on it to make static electricity, the things they did when younger.

When he removed his hand he could have sworn he heard it to! That almost crackling noise when things were dangerously electric. He looked close at his fingers and rubbed them together, seeing tiny blue sparks appear.

‘Ok....this is beyond weird...’

Cody pressed his hands against the log and tree stump, pushing himself up only for the long to start cracking again. He looked to it and was most of the bark cracked and broken.

‘Ok so Scott is turning into a human battery, I’m becoming heavier than I look and Jacob is a freezer on legs! Just what the frick is going on!?’

‘I have good guess but first...Sam. What were you going to tell us?’

There was no point in hiding it now, they were all in it together at this point.

‘Well I was running away from Kyle earlier today and sort...phased trough a wooden fence.’

‘Like...literately trough it? Like a ghost?’

‘Yes...like a ghost.’

‘This is no coincidence. That meteor it did something to us! I don’t know what or how but it did!’ Scott said.

‘This is kinda like our comics isn’t it? A weird meteor strikes down and suddenly they have superpowers!’ Jacob said, almost excited.

‘Superpowers? Common Jacob! This is weird but its not a comic book!’

‘Oh ya?’ he put his hand in the water again and focused. When he pulled it out his entire hand was stuck inside a block ice.

‘Ok let me try something!’ Cody said in excitement. He grabbed onto the log and tried lifting it. After several seconds the weight off it was gone and was suddenly lifted over his head to everyone’s shock. ‘Cody! Your arms!’

Cody dropped it and almost screamed in panic. His arms were covered in a strange black rock. ‘WHAT HAPPENED TO MY ARMS??!’

‘Cody Cody!! Listen to me! Try to focus, imagine your arms going back to normal.’

He did was Jacob said, focusing on that strongly and quickly, as if by instinct, his arms returned to normal.

Then he switched it back on, his whole body turning to that black rock. Then back to human again, somehow he subconsciously knew how to turn back and forth for no reason.

Then it was Scott’s turn. He pressed his hand against the tree stump and sparks appeared along every edge of his hand. When he lifted it a burn mark was on the wood, still smoking with one last spark going off.

‘This is...just...I don’t know what to say!’

‘You try it! Phase trough something!’

Slowly Sam got up and wobbled over to the nearest tree. And slowly he reached out to it. He tried to imagine back then, he imagined the fence. And without a hint of resistance it went trough it, like the tree was mere air. ‘Ok its official guys...we have powers...’

 

0