Chapter 3
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

No one had any idea of what to do. Samantha had the same powers as them, and the boys was at a loss.

They currently stood out of earshot, whispering to each other of what to do next.

‘Look we can’t leave her, she’s a walking torch! We gotta at least help her control so she doesn’t go and set random stuff on fire.’ Cody pleaded to them.

‘You’re right, of all our powers hers is the most dangerous. But she also now knows of our hideout. Its supposed to be our place! Ours alone!’ Jacob added on.

‘She did promise to not say anything tough.’

‘Ya but can we trust her? Girls blabber to each other about everything!’

Then a few more seconds of silence..

‘How about we keep an eye on her? While we train her we can be close to make sure she doesn’t spill.’

‘Well she’s not gonna say anything when we’re right there! Its when we’re not that I’m worried about.’

‘You’re right...luckily we got our own spy. Sam can you follow her for a few days? Make sure she doesn’t say anything?’

‘Umm...ok..’ Sam was greatly unsure tough, spying on the fiery angel that was Samantha..

‘Then we’re in agreement.’ all nodded and walked back to her, waiting by the door of their own little shack.

‘Ok Samantha we’ll help you. We teach you to control your fire power and you promise not to say anything about this place to anyone.’

‘Deal!’

‘Alright, follow us then..’

They guided her to the old scrapyard, the marks of their own training still visible clear as day.

‘Here? Are you guys sure?’

‘We’re sure. No one comes here anymore so we can practice undisturbed. Now the point of this exercise is simple, blast as much fire as you can at all these cars until you get the hang of it.’

‘Will it work?’

‘It worked for us, now we don’t have a single mishap. Our powers are ours to control.’ Scott said as his arm lit up in blue and white electricity.

‘Now try to recreate the moment of the house, focus in on a random wreck and blast it.’

She stared at a broken down old Volvo in front of her, red and all its wheels missing. She took several deep breaths and raised her hands towards it. At first she was confused by what they meant but suddenly, out of the palm of her hands, came a strange orange light and a wave of fire shot out, lighting up the heap of scrap that was once a car.

‘Woah...’

‘Its a little like using your own body right?’

‘Ya..’

She kept firing again and again, more broken pieces set aflame, some even glowing and started to melt. The more she unleashed, the easier it became. It was like the fire was an extension of her body! Like an arm or leg. More vehicles and plants was set aflame, metal pieces glowed hit and rubber melted.

Then the unexpected happened, a old pickup truck exploded, scattering burning wreckage all over the place. They all froze in place, standing with burning pieces all around them, a pillar of smoke forming around the car.

‘WHAT ARE YOU DOING??’

‘WHAT YOU TOLD ME TO! SHOOT FIRE!’

‘EVERYONE IN TOWN HEARD THAT!! We gotta go before someone shows up!!’

*

Police arrived at both the beach and scrapyard when people started calling about rising smoke and a explosion. Yet either firemen or cops could explain what happened. At the beach this old boat renting service looked like it had been recently on fire yet for some reason a thick sheet of ice covered that area. And then with the sound of a explosion they rushed to a old, abandoned scrapyard to find plenty of old cars destroyed in all sorts of ways. Ripped apart, crushed, burned you name it. But not a single clue of who did it or how was discovered. The detective scratched his head as his co workers searched the place top to bottom, all of them said the same thing. Its like it happened out of nowhere, no trace of any bombs, tools or weapons. Just...like it happened out of thin air... After that weird meteor it seemed this little town was primed for weird and bizarre events, they would need to keep a close eye on it.

*

The gang split up and headed home to avoid suspicion. They saw plenty of police cars racing to the old yard, thankfully they were to far away to to raise any eyebrows at themselves. Once Samantha got trough the door her mom rushed over and hugged her daughter as she calmed down from a panic attack. She told her that she ran home once she heard the explosion which seemed to make the scared mother feel a tiny bit better. But Samantha herself didn’t feel better. For one she just lied to her mother. Two, she had fire powers and she had barely begun to figure out how to use them and it was thanks to the boys. Without Jacob and his ice nearby how was her family safe from her? She tried to keep a physical distance from everyone but Lucky put her head on Samantha’s lap as they sat on the couch, watching the live news of the event. Nothing happened thankfully although she hated feeling worried about touching her own dog, the gnawing worry about seeing the tiniest spark on that adorable golden fur. The news caster also said the police found no trace of any bomb and a suspected that a bit of oil was left inside one of the trucks and for mysterious reasons caught on fire, exploding the motor from the inside. Thankfully no one was nearby and nothing more than just some old cars was wrecked. At least she could breathe easy on that front..

The next day the boys could see the yellow police tape. The beach and the scrapyard was blocked off and frankly it was a miracle they were still allowed up in the woods at all. They were finally moving in new furniture, stealing a couch is apparently easy when you ran faster than gravity can pull it down. Once they had a couch, two small tables, windows and a dug fireplace thanks to Cody digging up the ground and filling it full of rock, they had finished it. Their hideout.. A place to call their own.

Jacob still wanted a bridge but no one had any idea were to even begin with that. Scott laid on the grass and soaked up the sunlight, resting after doing the majority of the work as Jacob was fishing. Sam chilled inside on the couch, reading some comic books with Cody. They were so entranced by the tale of Diamond fist battling some Doctor Wolfenstein when the sound of knocking broke their trance. When Cody opened he didn’t seem pleased.

‘You again?’

‘I still don’t know how to properly use these...fire thing so I need you guys to help me!’ Sam almost fell off the couch when he heard Samantha’s voice right there. A tingling sensation swept over him as he froze up, carefully listening in to every word.

‘We already showed you yesterday! That’s how the truck blew up and we almost got caught! Go practice in the water or something.’

She sighted and left. ‘Girls..am I right?’ he said with some obvious bad tone to his voice. Sam carefully agreed, not wanting to risk his friendship despite his desperate wish to let her stay. Yet if Cody or any of the other guys didn’t like her there was not much he could do.

Samantha, fuming over the boys crappy attitude, walked away to a different part of the lake. Just like yesterday scores of fire shot out of her hands right into the water. The surface around the impact boiled almost instantly, a cloud of steam rose upwards, growing ever larger until it obscured her from the boys point of view.

‘Man she’s angry...’

‘Well she’s got her girlfriends at school, she’ll be fine.’ Jacob merely waved it off.

Samantha unleashed all her frustration upon the water. The stress, the confusion, those idiot BOYS! Burn it all!!

She kept going until the steam was all around her, like a fog almost. She breathed heavily as if running a marathon. It felt good...to let it all out like that. Like the fire was her anger...

She took a break, deciding she mostly got it under control now. As she was about to sit down a strange, bass like noise stopped her dead in her tracks. Then bushes were being moved around, getting closer. She looked around and could barely see anything past the steam. And when it finally dispersed enough...there was nothing there. Nothing but forest all around her. Then suddenly she heard it above her. She caught the sight of some kind of dark shadow before it grabbed her and she was lifted into the air.

‘Hey dude look!!’ Scott shot up and saw something flying over the water. Some kind of giant black robot with metallic tentacles under it. They panicked when they heard a girl screaming in panic. They then spotted one of the tentacles holding someone.

‘Samantha!’ Scott ran over the lakes surface towards it, water shooting upwards behind him. He jumped towards it and with a lighting filled fist slammed it into the almost box shaped body. The robot flew to the side as his fist pierced the solid steel shell with little effort but with it maintaining programming it grabbed the boy to. Scott slammed the metallic arm in a high speed barrage of lighting fists until it shattered into countless pieces. But as he fell another arm grabbed him and he screamed as it squeezed him hard. It felt like his torso was about to be cut in two. Then a white wave crashed into the robot. Below them Jacob stood on a long ice road coming from the beach. He relentlessly fired his ice blast at it, trying to take it down, only for him to grabbed and shocked as volt of electricity stunned him. Then it suddenly changed course, heading for the boys hut. Cody and Sam ran out to see what was going on and saw that thing flying straight towards them. Its arms reached out and grabbed them before they could barely react. Cody turned to his rock form, the extra weight almost stopping the thing dead in its tracks. He grabbed the arm and began to pull, trying to rip it off.

As its metallic arm began to crack, Sam phased trough it, freeing himself. He possessed a nearby rock, slamming it into the frozen area of the robot. The ice shattered, taking a good chunk of metal with it. Samantha saw the opening and took it, blasting the exposed inside with scorching flames. The robot emitted a variety of loud, panicked noises as it shook, its arms spinning out of control and throwing them on the ground. Smoke poured out in mass from the hole and sparks flew in every direction as it levitated downwards slowly. Worrying that it was about to explode Cody threw his body at it, pushing it with all his strength. It flew into the lake, breaking the ice bridge Jacob had made and plummeting into the water. They heard the explosion under water, still loud enough to ring in their ears. Water shot upwards and raining down on them with some metallic scraps.

And just like that the danger seemed over. They all stood silent, ears pierced for that noise. But it was quiet, eerily so. After a while they finally confirmed there were no other robots and they could breathe out.

‘Ok so....WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT??!!’

0