Chapter 5
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tuesday started rather odd. Principal Liza called them all into the office and actually apologized! She let them all go without a single punishment. Later that day words spread that Kyle and his two friends were forced to attend summer school.

Sam’s idea worked perfectly, Regina was scared. Her face paler than yesterday and carried massive bags under her eyes. She looked like a bordeline zombie, clearly not having slept after the big scare.

At break they talked it over, mostly being glad to not have to stay at school during summer.

‘So someone finally put the old tyrant in her place? All hail Sam! Terror of dictators and nightmare of principals!’ Jacob pretended to raise a glass in his name.

‘Ya! You showed her what happens when you mess with us!’ Cody added on the praise.

‘Well ya but....doesn’t this feel a little wrong? What she did was unfair but we probably scarred her for life...’ Samantha asked, not really sure about this methods.

‘Good! It will teach her in the future!’ Jacob dismissed those worries as the boys walked off, celebrating their victory.

Samantha sighted, she had a bad feeling about this. No one in school liked the principal, no one. But to go this far, breaking in to her home and using their powers.....

‘Samantha!’ she turned to see Julie come running.

‘So what happened yesterday?’

‘Uh its a...long story.’

*

The day went by relatively quick and the boys decided to head over to Jacobs place for game night. They seemed excited to have a fourth player. Just two characters and one game master was growing bland.

‘You see, warlocks are not support casters like Cody. They are damage dealers, especially for bosses and such.’

‘Oh! What about swarms of enemies then?’

‘That would be pyromancers. But you risk blowing yourself up with that.’

‘Cool.’ they answered Sam’s questions about it, one after another.

Samantha and Julie overheard it, standing within earshot.

‘Uh! What’s so fun about games anyway?’ Julie coldly dismissed it, Samantha had that uncomfortable tug in her stomach. That she had a problem with how Julie, very much loud enough for them to hear, condescendingly shut down what they enjoyed.

‘They obviously find it fun.’ she replied, almost snapping.

‘What? You like nerd games now?’

‘I just think you’re being unfair. Just because you don’t like doesn’t mean its bad.’

‘Pfft whatever! I’m going shopping with mom.’ Julie then almost stormed off. On one hand Samantha felt proud of herself, that she stood up to Julie like that.

On the other hand, she was worried that she had just thrown a wrench into their friendship. Luckily the guys didn’t seem to notice. They were so caught up in their conversation that only Cody looked at her. He smiled and nodded at her, as if thanking her for standing up for them. That made her feel a little better at least.

‘So this game, whats it about?’ she asked, feeling rather curious.

‘Wanna see?’

‘Uhh.’

‘Hey guys! How about Samantha joining in?’ the talking ended abruptly and all eyes turned on them.

‘Samantha? Are you sure?’ Jacob asked in a very unsure voice.

‘Why not? Its even better with five people. We might actually clear a dungeon for once.’

‘But its..well. Isn’t it kinda guys night?’

‘Is it? I always assumed we didn’t have a girl join in was because we couldn’t find anyone at all.’ Scott added in.

‘Ya common! The game itself even recommends five to twelve people!’

‘Alright fine, lets go.’ they all got on their bikes and headed off to Jacobs house.  

*

The evening flew by like crazy. Sam and Samantha took the game quickly and several hours later they stared down the final boss, pushing their characters to the limit.

‘He’s casting shadow wave, respond!’ Scott said as he held the gamemasters book.

‘I throw myself in front of with with shield up!’ Cody said, rolling the dice.

‘You block the spell and are down to your last health point!’

Samantha quickly whispered something into Sam’s ear and he nodded.

‘I cast fire wave on the bastard!’ she said.

‘He blocks it!’

‘I move behind him and backstab him with the poisoned dagger!’ Sam rolled the dice. As if the dice itself bent to his will, it landed on six!

‘It works! Galador goes down!’

‘YAA!!’ the all celebrated, high fiving and raising fists in glorious victory!

After so many failures to take down Galador, they actually won!

‘Having fun?’ Jacobs mom asked as she descended down the stairs.’

‘Ya! We won!’

‘Good! Also its dinner time so shall I just yours in the freezer Jacob?’

They looked at the wall clock and saw the late time.

‘Nah I think we can call it quits here. I better go home.’

‘Ya same here.’

They said their goodbyes and went on their way.

Scott and Sam lived not to far from each other so they biked down the same street, living the larger suburban houses and headed towards the apartments.

Sam felt good, not just because of that perfect summer evening temperature, but he had more fun that day than he could ever remember. But it had to end, because before he knew, they ended up right in front of the yellow one he lived in. And the conversation ended as soon as they heard the sounds of shouting inside.

Two adults screaming at each other loud enough that it anyone just walking by could make out the many horrible insults that sounded off.

Scott immediately saw the sudden change in Sam, his head hung down and like the very air around him got sad.

‘Well huh...cya tomorrow..’

‘Wait. Those two inside, are they always at it like this?’

‘Not always..but often.’

‘Must make it hard to sleep.’

‘Ya....’

‘You know them?’ Scott suspected it, but wanted to make sure.

‘Ya....they’re uhh...that’s my parents..’

‘Oh..’ he got his confirmation. Things suddenly felt very awkward, Sam was so ashamed. He finally found some good friends and now one of them knew. He just felt a pressure building in his throat when Scott quickly looked at his phone as it vibrated. ‘Hey wanna have dinner at my place instead? My sister is getting pizza tonight and I can never finish mine alone.’

‘You sure?’

‘Ya I’m sure, why else would I ask?’

‘Uhh...ok. Ya..sure.’ they both sped off, away from the screaming.

Scott’s apartment was right in the next neighbourhood, in a section of bland white apartments.

He lived on about the most middle floor. The place was small, only two bedrooms and one kitchen that doubled as living space.

By the wooden table stood a tall, young woman about her early twenties with long dark hair.

‘Hi bro! This your friend?’

‘Duh! Who else?’

‘Just shut up and eat your pizza.’ she approached and shook Sam’s hand.

‘Hi I’m Regina, nice to meet you.’

‘H.hi..’ Sam slightly stuttered. He would never admit it to Scott, like ever, but his sister was hot.

‘Your cheese covered heart attack is on the right.’

‘That’s way better than your olive drenched disappointment.’

‘Its like only six on there!’

‘That’s six to many!’

They sat down by the table and dug in. Sam understood immediately why Scott never finished his alone. There was an ocean of cheese on there and not much else. He could almost feel himself blowing up after the first slice.

‘So Sam, how did you meet my brat of brother?’

‘Well..’ he wasn’t sure how to answer but Scott stepped in at the just right time.

‘We just bumped into each other in the forest that one time and invited him for game night. Its better with four players.’

‘I see. That must have been traumatic.’

‘Screw you!’

‘Don’t you need a screwdriver for that?’

Scott grunted very loudly at her terrible joke. The rest of dinner mostly went on like that. Sam staying quiet while the siblings kept trading snarks and insults but there still was a warm feeling in the room.

He wished his family was like this. One that argued out of love instead of just raw anger. He’d take this any day of week.

After they were done eating they went into Scott’s bedroom to hang out. It was a very small one, barely any space between his desk and bed. His skateboard stood leaning against the wall by the door.

Posters of different athletes hung on his wall, and a pile of dirty laundry by the foot of his bed.

‘Its not much but its home.’

‘I kinda like it. So is it usually like this?’

‘Kind of. Some days she’s swamped with work. Her boss is kind of an ass.’

Sam sat down on the bed while Scott on the chair by the desk.

Sam’s eyes was drawn to a smaller framed picture on his desk, showing a happy family. Two adults, with a teenage daughter and a kid that looked less than ten.

Scott caught him and grabbed it. ‘Nice pic isn’t it?’

‘Ya. That your parents?’

‘...Ya..’ his voice lowered ‘They’re aren’t around anymore. Its just me and Regina now, she was just barely old enough to take guardianship.’

‘Sorry.’

‘Eh it was a long time ago now, life moves on and stuff.’

He put it back and took out a comic book. ‘Ever read this?’

The front was a drawing of a vampire in very gothic armor, holding a rapier.

‘No.’

‘Ah man you should, this is really good!’ and so he went on to describe it in endless detail, trough the hours of the entire evening.

0