Chapter 24: Time to run
221 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Control. Charlemagne 1-1 taking off. Over." The pilot of the Juntacopter reported as his wheels lifted off. The Juntacopter on an outward look followed as similar design doctrine of the Eurocopter and Apache, with the biggest change being the lack of a tail rotor as theirs were made with a twin rotary system.

The pilot looked behind him towards his gunner who gave him a thumbs up, his Hud placed a blue box around him identifying him as friendly due to the IFF tag on his uniform, once they reach the AO the Marines and Paras will look just like that, a simple blue box while everyone else would be shown in bright red for simply lacking said IFF.

"Received. Repeat orders Charlemagne. Over." Control asked, the voice was monotone. He had a hunch who it was but fulfilled the request.

"Orders are to head to the Lost Tanks Recovery mission, that are currently being ambushed and provide close air support until the enemy is dead, driven off or aid in the retreat of the friendly forces there. Confirm. Over."

"Orders confirmed. Control over and out."

"Roger. Charlemagne 1-1 over and out." With a shake of his head and switching to internal communications he asked his gunner a question, "Why the hell is she talking to us? I thought she was a Para Staffer?"

The gunner shrugged helplessly, "No idea. But we're getting double hazard pay since we weren't expected to fly due to the AA threat... but you heard them, they've suppressed the Naval bases AA and as long as we remain within 'her' side of the city we'll not be seen as a threat to the AA systems near 'Hope's Highway'. Let's just go in wipe out these fucks and go home. Before AA becomes a threat."

"Don't they have a man-portable railgun? That seems like it could be used as a MANPAD." The pilot replied, an edge of concern in his voice.

"The real question is are they willing to waste ammo on us or another tank? We're not talking the Erian Army who would have the ability to resupply the weapon this is a resistance cell who stole it, used..." He stopped to do a quick count, "Maybe three too five shots."

"Yea... alright combat comms only, we're entering the AO." The pilot hated the FOB since it was so close to most of the AOs it barely took minutes to enter a combat zone.

The whole time they'd been talking both had been doing their own tasks, one flying and receiving directions onto his destination and the gunner preparing the weapon systems aboard, on each wing two thirty-five anti-infantry-incendiary rocket pods sat, which packs enough armor piercing to attack infantry hiding within buildings and lightly armored vehicles. Along side them was a pair of thirty millimeter rotary cannons controlled by the pilot.

Then was the gunner's toy, a chin mounted forty-five millimeter cannon loaded with general-purpose munitions able to rip apart damn near everything within the Erian arsenal, short of a tank front-on of course.

Looking down at his camera for the weapon the gunner nodded as the street they were heading towards was entering their sight. "R.O.E?" He asked jokingly.

"None, everyone but ours are enemy free to engage." The pilot replied, within his own view the Hud actively updating showing where friend and foe were. Just below him he could feel the cannon swivel, then six thuds shook the Helicopter. But they didn't stop as they kept continuing with barely a second or two in between each six rounds.

...

"Retreat!" Jackson shouted in a panic as she ran for one of the side alleyways to avoid the weapon that started tracking her, while the helicopter tilted down slightly and unleashed a volley of rockets towards Isla and Hela's building causing them to jump from the roof into the alleyways below.

The gunner's cannon lanced at a pair of Erian Resistance that he spotted trying to escape from a side door entering a alleyway, both disappearing in a bloody mist with only chunks remaining of what used to be people, and rapidly followed by firing four bursts into the building they just came from hopefully killing anyone inside.

Within the building Jackson's women were having a time of their lives.

"Back door... that was what I told them. Too late now, the Lessers are dead. Come on!" Aleksy stated as she held her RPK to her shoulder giving the Marines that were now attempting to clear them out a idea of doubt about them being dead, two riflewomen she didn't really know of the names of ran past her dragging their wounded 2IC who suffered a near miss from the cannon but the shells filler sent shrapnel that turned out far more deadly then the cannon could have been.

Giving them a last burst she too left the building, two fragmentation grenades followed after, wounding her in the process. Falling to the ground with a grunt, turning herself over and was about to fire when her weapon was kicked away and she had two barrels pointed at her face.

She glanced at her weapon still in her grasp, but the Marines gave her a shake of the head. "Fine." With little effort she let go and threw it as far as she could. Though looking up towards where the three were running she was glad to see that they were gone. At least they wouldn't suffer the humiliation of being captured.

...

"Hands up now!" Two Paras ordered what they think is the angel-kin, they weren't too sure since she didn't have the wings or halo she was described with, but every other feature was accurate.

The Mage below Kerrigan gave a slight nod to which she dove out of the way as Sasha released a torrent of flames. The Paras ducked instinctively but it was too late both were immolated in seconds, but it caught the attention of the men still outside and the helicopter as the twin rotary cannons that until now were very silent released twelve seconds of hell into the building.

A round caught Kerrigan in the thigh by luck it was a scratch if you call losing all the skin and meat exposing the thigh bone. Hatting the ground hard she tried to heal but frustratingly found her mana stores empty, though the spike of pain of her leg getting lit on fire cauterizing the wound... if temporally. The Marines and Paras that entered following the end of the Juntacopters onslaught, dragged out both of them before the building could collapse from the fire or the helicopters attack.

The battle is over... It was now to count the dead, check for intel and time to save who they could including their foe.

5