Chapter 1: A cold winter storm
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You see me as a bad guy as what you already see... but hear me out...

Back when I was a baby, I really don't know where and who's my parents are, but I was raised by a wizard. His name was Gandor.

He always said that "You're my perfect summon and experiment."

He always pushed me to fight and carry things even if I'm to weak or little, I never tried to cry because Gandor treat me like a slave, I once tried to escape but when I look outside, the place was all dark ad cold.

He told me "The outside world is nothing but void, cold and evil place, you shouldn't go outside just like what I've told you."

I keep it in my mind that I will be safe as long as I'm inside the dungeon, until someone just bashed the door. A man wearing a blue robe just came in, the dark clouds outside was gone like a candle blow by the wind, I hide myself behind the pillars where the man and  the Gandor was, I listen.

"Brother! Did I just told you not to do it! The Alliance of Guardian Gods just told you that!"

"Brother please, I mean you no harm, nor that child."

"I knew it! My predictions are right! Where is that child! She's must not exist!"

"Now you're beginning to be the bad guy now brother."

"Because she's a replica, a copy, did you remembered that copying a person is against the rules! This must not be know by the Three Worlds!"

"Didn't you remember that the real one you said was in the Mortal World?"

"But that isn't the point here Brother, I don't want her to suffer! Suffering the same state as what happened before."

"Enough! I have enough of your rules, what's happening is finished!"

The man with blue robe started to strike a ray of light at Gandor that makes the current of the wind changed from the other direction, the wind was exiting towards the window, I was getting pushed by the wind, the pillar where I was hiding started to crack and trembles. I jumped to the other pillar to save myself but in the end the wind carried me and throw me out from the window.

I tried to shout for help but no one was there, the height is really scary, even if I feel the water, I will eventually die because of impact, I still didn't know what they mean before because I am still kid, that time I never accept my early death, who would say a one year old me would die that early, until something saved me, a harpy with sharp claws grabbed my clothes, it dropped to its nest but another harpy grabbed my arms as the one who grabbed me before chased us. The one who grabbed me before was growling and looks angry while the other one was looking at me, I was afraid of height back then.

"Don't look at her, she's not what you think! She's not good!"

The harpy whose carrying me speaks to me, she dropped me below a bunch of trees, she used the trees a covering, she waited the until the harpy attacked us, the Harpy's head appeared from the leaves, an arrow flew from a distance hitting it on its head and fell to the ground completely dead.

I ran away without the people who thanked me, they didn't follow me nor call me, Gandor didn't give me a name but back when I was hearing things like "We'll call her Layne" so I named myself as Layne.

While I was running away I saw a smoke from a distance, I run towards the smoke, I found the location, I hide behind  a tree, I saw something that really hurts my heart, the smoke was from burning houses, it was a village being raided by bad people, I didn't want to die and couldn't help them, I saw the people getting killed using blades and explosives, I cried as I saw the bodies either getting ripped or burned, I saw people who are fighting back but they are outnumbered and killed soon after.

I hide behind the tree for hours, my whole body is cold because of the fear, I began shaking but I keep myself quiet. Suddenly my hands started glowing, I feel strange, my body feels heavy and painful, I feel dizzy, I fainted.

...

I woke up with a strange feeling, I tried to stand up but I suddenly vomit, I feel cold, when I look around I saw it was snowing, I asked myself "What's going on?"

I saw the place was all quiet, I go to the burned village searched things, I feel my body giving up, I found a wolf leather and wear it to keep me warm. I searched the place more deeper and look for survivors, I saw a man was crawling in from the snow, I walk towards him, he was breathing really hard making her to die early because of the snow that was going inside his mouth.

He speaks to me saying "Little girl, I'm so sorry that I wasn't able to save your village, here... have my sword. I would like you to have this dagger, you may still can't use it but in the future... I know that you will never did the same mistakes what I do, I'm sorry."

She did after he said his last words to me, I keep the sword as what he said and use it as my weapon, I never handled a dagger before, when I tried to carry it I fell, when I swing it I was carried away, but I must keep my energy or I'll die in cold, I found a burning house, I use the fire as a heat source, I eat food that aren't completely burned or rotten, I became sick but I keep myself fighting, I learned to survive thanks to the suffering from Gandor.

I lived there for days, I did everything I can to survive... but my recourse aren't enough to reach the end of the winter. I left the burned village with the bodies buried in the snow. I can hear howling wolves from a distance, I kept my distance away from the noise where it's coming from.

...

The night comes and the place became dark, the pouring snow and  the cold clouds was blocking the moon making my path much dark, I hide in a bush and sleep for the night, I tried my best to sleep because of the cold water dropping from the leaves.

...

I woke up from my sleep, I heard a growling noise circling around me, I pulled the blade but I end up cutting myself, I couldn't stop the bleeding. I was scared the same as what I feel when I was falling, I ran away without looking back, I throw the leather with my blood just to distract the wolf, I never thought that it works, I found village and go there to safety, the wolf that was chasing me was being killed by the guards, I was really cold without the leather I can't heat myself, I fainted once more.

...

I woke up in a strange room, I was in a bed and beside me was  a fireplace, I was looking around, a woman opened the wooden door holding a bowl and a towel, I saw my clothes are changed.

She said "Relax your body, you're sick. You are very cold, why are you running away?

I couldn't shout, my throat is hurting, my eyes are hurting and my body is weak, I tried to sit but I feel like throwing up, the woman feeds me with hot soup, I was feeling better when I feel the warm crawling in my body.

While I was taking a rest, I tried to think of how did it turns winter even if the last time before she faint was clear morning sky. I look at the window near me, it was still snowing outside, I tried to kneel and open the window, I look below, kids playing at the snow, they were laughing, they looked at me, they waved at them, I'm still weak but I managed to wave at them just to reply.

The woman comes back again and said "Oh you're getting up, how do you feel?"

My throat is still hurting but I nod to say "Yes".

"I see, can you walk?"

I nod again.

"Can you talk?"

I wave my hand as a "No" and point at my neck."

"Is there something stuck in your mouth?"

I wave my head as a "No", I tried to speak to show the problem.

She looked at my mouth and said "You might have a sore throat. You need more rest before you are able to fully recover."

I lay down the bed and relax my body, I always remembered the things that Gandor told me and might be his brother told him. I go back to sleep. During my sleep I always remember the castle I lived before , I can still feel the pain by the bind that he used in me when I tried to escape, I was forced to work and fight when I was inside like a puppy forced to fight an angry boar.

I was shacking in fear just remembering those past, I can't sleep properly until a person just came in the room, a man who wears a leather tunic and  wielding a bow, it looks like the man who saved me along with the harpy who also saved me.

"Are you fine?" He asked me as he walk towards me, he touched my hot forehead as he sit beside my bed, I was really scared, being with a man alone in the room wielding a weapon by his side, I feel scared, I can't move a muscle, I can'y scream, I can't cry.

The woman who treated me came back once again, she asked to leave me alone for now, I can't cry but I shed tears from my eyes, even if the flames of fire was beside me, the cold fear is still inside me, I was shacking and the woman felt the feeling, the woman make me sit, she brushed my hair and sing a song.

I fell asleep as her singing makes my chest soften, my heart pounds smoothly and the warmth of the room covers me.

...

I woke up in the morning much better than yesterday, I can see in the window that it is still snowing, I stand up from my bed and start walking towards the door, I feel my leg shaking and fell, I feel deep pain, I looked at my legs, it was something strange, there is something attached to my leg like a scar, it was black, I touched it and it hurts so much, I ignore it and stand again, I tried my best to stand up and reach the door, I pushed the door as hard as I can, it open and I fell, I crawled to reach something I can hold, I saw a stair, I crawled there and tried to reach the handle, a man saw me from behind.

He says "Are you alright little girl?"

I feel the fear again, I can't talk but I tried to make a sound but it was not loud enough, he touched my hips, I feel scared and think he's going to hurt me, but he lifts me up and help me to stand.

"You look like you have an injury, can you walk?" He asked me as he support me to stand.

I point my finger in down the staircase.

He said "You want to go down?"

I nod, he lift me and carry me with his arms, I saw his back that there's a massive war axe in a leather cover. We arrived at the room, the woman who helped me was a helper in the inn, she saw me being carried by the man, the man put me down on a chair and let me sit, he sit beside me.

I can hear loud people, some are cheering up each other, some are singing and some are arguing, I never know that down the castle there is something hidden secrets, I thought it was just a void dark and deep void, but I was wrong, I never knew that down below is a world of beauty. This was my first time to smile after a long period of time, I couldn't cry because of happiness but I'm shedding tears of joy.

...

It was night time, the place became quiet and the helpers started cleaning the tables and the man who helped me go back to his room, I hop down the chair and look outside, I can see thick snow from the floor but people are still outside.

"Don't open the door you'll catch a cold." the woman said to me as I look at the front door hole.

The woman give me food after they finished cleaning. He looked at the scar at my leg as I eat the food, he wrapped it with a clean cloth to block anything that hits it.

He touched it and asked "Does it hurts?"

I can still feel the pain but it wasn't painful that much than before. The woman cleaned me and came back to bed, I look at the window beside my bed, the window was blurry because of the snow, I gently knock the glass and the ice breaks, I saw the sky was still blocked by the thick clouds, the woman tell me a story about the great heroes during the great war.

"There was a time when the world is near to its end, twenty heroes who wield the twenty Fallen Weapons, the Sword of Flames, the Silent Dagger, the Great Staff, the Tome of Magic, the Spear, the Soaring Knuckles, the Great Armor, the Twin Short Sword, the Chakram of the Air, the Bow of Lighting, the Hammer of Earth, the Fan of the Great Tide, the Glaive of Thrust, the Axe of Bravery, the Scythe of Spirits, the Magical Gloves, the Cards of Fortunes... I don't know what the last one was wielding but the point is that they fought and venture their towards their destination, I forgot all their stories but you can listen to it when Remendor came back to this village, Remendor was a great wizard, he's the one who's wearing a blue robe, he travels the worlds of three and discovers things that we can't believe before, he was dedicated to help us get better, he's a good person."

When he told me about the man with blue robe and and I remembered the time Gandor was talking to the man with the same appearance as what the woman was saying, I hugged the woman's hips because I was scared that Gandor might find me again. The woman sleep beside me, that was the time I was able to sleep much better.

...

I woke up in a strange feeling, everything was dark, I saw two people looking at me, I saw at the window it was daytime but I couldn't move a muscle, it looks like what the man said, it might be my original one, a man woman with black hair and a single cowlick at the top, black eye pupils, and  a man with black pointy hair and a gray eye pupils, the man carried me, I look around, it was a city if I remember what I see, filled with cars and people walking, it was different from what my state is, her place was more calm and friendly.

I felt jealous but I'm happy because I'm alive seeing what the original was seeing, I think this is what the link of the two of us, I may only see this in my dream but this day is the best day in my child times. I closed my eyes and sleep once again.

...

I woke up from my dream, I looked at the window, I saw the snowing stopped and the bright sky now was all wide and clear, the woman greet me from the door.

"Good morning, it looks like the sky calmed down, would you like to go outside?"

I nod because I want to see the sky and the beautiful bright snow, I want to touch it like the other kids do.

The woman put me some sheep clothing before we go out, I didn't realized that I was able to stand properly when I was first walking downstairs, we go outiside and I look up, the bright sun was really beautiful after a long time of winter, I look down, the flowers and that once covered by the thick snow was now regrowing.

The kids from before who waved at me was looking and waving at me again, they were smiling at me like they were very happy seeing me, it was like I'm having friends unlike at the castle that I'm a slave than a friend.

I love this beautiful world, I never regret of leaving the castle anymore, now I'll be brave and face everything, I'd like to learn more about this world and discover more, I will never going back at the place ever again. I feel thankful to the man who wears a blue robe to flew me out of the window and the woman who's a harpy that saved from getting killed, but I never want to see innocent people getting killed... I know it because I can feel it.

You may see me different from what I'm telling you... But I'll tell you the reasons I promise...

0