CHAPTER 11 – A HEROIC JACKASS SHALL SAVE THE DAY!
279 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 11 - A HEROIC JACKASS SHALL SAVE THE DAY!

It was not a date. Not at all. 

It’s more of a master-lackey game where I only get to carry the shopping bags all the way.

Even though it was Saturday and there are no summer classes, I was forced by the brutal fuhrer to wake up early just to go to the mall. We had this terrible shopping spree, going from store to store, while my princess Lizzy picks up any clothing she likes.

Since this so-called princess has no money at all, I am the one to spend on her apparel. She said that I should pay for it as a compensation for hospitalizing her for two days, even though we’re fifty-fifty to blame for that one.

Half of a day has passed, and I’m already carrying four shopping bags, three shoeboxes, and two large gift boxes. She made me carry all her stuff while she skips happily and swipes my debit card on cashiers. Swipe here, swipe there, swipe everywhere. R.I.P. my long-saved money that is meant to buy the next-gen consoles.

It was lunchtime, so we decided to eat in the crowded food court. We both have roasted chicken and fried rice as our meal, accompanied by iced tea and brownies. 

“I’m quite disappointed in this place. All the apparel they sell looks so cheap.” Lizzy said as she sipped on her iced tea.

“Cheap my ass!” I exclaimed. “You spent five months of my savings!”

“Don’t worry, I will pay you back once I get back to power.” She said uncaringly as she sipped her drink once again. “Anyway, there’s still five stores I want to visit later, so eat fast.”

“Grrr.”

To quench my anger, I brutally mince the roasted chicken on my plate with my fork. I also occupied myself in eating, trying to avoid eye contact with the princess.

The center of the mall which is just beside the food court is starting to get noisy. There was a stage there that was set up for some kind of event. It was an idol concert, and today they are hosting a program with a beautiful celebrity. There are colorful banners everywhere that have the face of an adorable teenage idol with blueberry-colored hair tied in cute twin tails.

 “Yufa! Yufa! Yufa!” The crowd cheered with their glow sticks.

Finally, the main star of the show entered the stage. Wearing a cute white-and-pink idol dress, the internet sensation, and ultimate pop star of the country made her charismatic appearance. With an adorable face and a charming smile, she shouted to the people with her mic.

“Yufa Haruna is here~”

The crowd went wild. They cheered her name. Male audiences started to go nuts, while the female started to unleash their annoying giggles. All the people here in the mall are starstruck.

Loudspeakers started to soar up the beats out loud, and the playful tune started to blast.

The pop star Yufa Haruna started to sing jolly bubblegum songs that raised the mood of the people. Her melodies even washed the stress I’m enduring in my heart. I want to stand up and go nearer to the stage to watch the pop star up close, but I’m stuck with the princess.

Meanwhile, the princess is minding her own business. She just continues to eat and eat as if she does not have care in the world. 

Halfway through the song of the pop star, Lizzy started to act a little bit weird. She looked at the singing and dancing teenage idol from afar, and then she scanned the upper balconies of the mall that has a good view of the central stage. She scrunched her face.

“That girl… she’s in danger.” Lizzy said to me. 

“Who? Yufa Haruna? What do you mean danger?” I asked.

“I saw telescope glares earlier. It came from that tiny gap of the ceiling of the third floor. If I’m not mistaken, it’s from a sniper rifle.”

I was skeptical for a second there, but I believed in her afterward when I remembered that this princess came from a legendary city that is proficient in magic arts. Her extrasensory senses are unbelievably awesome.

“What are we going to do?” I asked.

“Save her, of course,” Lizzy said. “You go warn the guards about the threat, while I take down the assassin myself.”

“Roger,” I said. 

“Activate the Archonlight and buff me with stealth.”

We both stood up and then nodded at each other. I think this will be my first time being a hero all my life, so I’m slightly nervous. I pointed my hand to the princess, and my arm glowed with blue circuits.

[Battle Control Online]

“Command Code: Invisibility.”

Lizzy’s body became transparent until she was completely invisible. With that, I don’t know where she is already. I was slightly creeped out when she spoke to me.

“Go.”

I immediately ran towards the crowd of people, bulldozing anyone in my way. Most people started protesting and cursing at me, but it doesn’t matter as long as I can play the hero and save a life. A pop star is in danger, and it’s up to me now if she gets to see another day.

I finally reached one of the guards who are in charge of watching the left part of the stage that is just beside the gigantic loudspeaker. I immediately caught his attention because I was pushing away the people along the way.

“Yufa Haruna is in danger! You have to stop the concert!” I cried.

“What!?” The guard asked. Unfortunately, he did not hear me because of the loud music.

“Stop the concert! There’s an assassin!” I shouted again with a gesture of chopping my neck.

 

“I can’t hear you! Speak louder!” The guard made a gesture of lending his ear. “Is my fly open?”

“I’m not talking about your fart, you idiot!” I protested even though I did not hear clearly what he said. “Yufa Haruna is in danger!”

“What!?” He asked. He did not hear me.

“What!?” I asked. I did not hear him.

“What!?” He did not hear me as well.

We’re certainly not moving in our conversation. I don’t know how much time we had left to save the pop star’s life. I even feel like wasting my saliva to make the guards understand my words either.

All of a sudden, a glare went past my left eye which rendered me temporarily blinded. It was just for a split-second, but I know that it was coming from a reflection of the sunlight. It must have come from that sniper rifle scope Lizzy was talking about!

I can’t just wait for the guard to understand me. That glare is on its way to the singing pop star, and nobody seemed to notice it. I have to take action myself!

With courage and the spirit of being a jackass, I climbed the barricade of fences until I reached the stage. For a split-second, the teenage idol's violet eyes locked into mine, confused and astounded.

“Eh?”

“Watch out!” I cried out loud as I leaped towards her.

Bang! A single but loud gunshot echoed throughout the mall. That noise made the audience panic. They scattered like ants, running to save their own dear life.

7