CHAPTER 19 – PYRAMID SCHEMES, DEMONS, AND CAT MAIDS DON’T MIX WELL
171 9 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 19 - PYRAMID SCHEMES, DEMONS, AND CAT MAIDS DON'T MIX WELL

Dating a celebrity is surely a bliss, but not for me.

Out of all the cafes, Yufa Haruna had literally chosen a cozy place that serves awesome coffee and cheesecakes that has maids as their servers. I’m not complaining about the place. In fact, it’s one of the best cafes in town. 

However, this is the very same cafe where I got dumped by my girlfriend. The Yummy Cafe.

And out of all the seats, we had to sit on the very table where I got roasted. The aroma of the coffee, the cheerful greetings of the maids, and the colorful decors of the cafe brings back old memories. Talk about nostalgia.

“Come on! Choose whatever coffee or sweets you want to have! My treat!” Yufa Haruna smiled at me.

“Y-Yeah.” I laid down the menu. “I’ll just have a cappuccino and some nachos.”

“Okay~” Yufa Haruna smiled brightly. “I’ll have chamomile tea and special quiche.”

After we gave our orders, the atmosphere between the teenage pop sensation and me became silent and awkward. I don’t know what to say in this kind of situation.

“I-I’m sorry if I dragged you here out of nowhere.” Yufa Haruna bowed. 

“N-No, it’s nothing really! You don’t know how happy I am to date you!” 

I tried to force a laugh, but all I gave is a series of dog-cough. Then I erased my flattered face to give a serious expression.

“Why did you invite me on a date again? Are you still going to kill me?”

“Nope.” Yufa smiled.

“Are you going to rape me?”

“Bingo~” Yufa smiled wider.

I was astounded. I don’t know what to react to. I could only mutter “A-a-a-a-a-ack!” baby noises.

“Just kidding~” Yufa laughed like a charming angel.

I’m still speechless. This teenage idol who makes all males' heart aflutter is a dangerous enemy. Even if she’s still a high school student, her teasing strategy is top-notch! My emotions will be played if this keeps longer!

“I’m really sorry, Mister John Casterdyne! I really need to tell you something!” Yufa Haruna held my hand which immediately made my face blush. “I want to confess!”

“C-Confess?”

“Y-Yes. You may call it a confession-”

My heart started to beat like a freaking running horse. Even the pumps are as strong as a horse’s kick. I even think I’m going to neigh now. Is Yufa Haruna; the famous idol is going to heal my shattered heart?

“John Casterdyne… I want you to join us.”

All of a sudden, Yufa Haruna handed out a business card. It has the name of Cathedral Exa. All the romantic atmosphere and feelings I had immediately gone down the drain.

“I’m sorry, my mom told me not to join pyramid schemes.” I cringed.

“That’s not it!” Yufa Haruna shrieked, and this is the time I saw a genuine blush on her face. “This is a legitimate organization, and I won’t ask for any money!”

“Really? No investment scams involved?”

“Mmm!” Yufa nodded like a kid. “All I need is a little favor!”

I looked at the business card. Cathedral Exa seemed more like a cult than a scam company to my eyes. It has a logo of a dragon holding a cross, so I can’t make any of any religions that correspond to their sigil.

“What is this little favor?” I crossed my arms and leaned backward.

“W-Well…” Yufa bumped the tips of her index fingers while formulating the words inside her head. “I need your Archonlight System for our cause. Your powers will be a great help to us.”

I erased my skeptical face and leaned forward. “What do you want to do with my Archonlight?” 

“Uh, you see, Cathedral Exa is an organization that has the goal of stopping the underworld planet. This planet I’m speaking off is sending Undead Demons to do its bidding to corrupt our world. We definitely need the power of the Archonlight System to defeat these Undead Demons, and having you within our organization would greatly boost our power.”

I cupped my chin and indulged myself in deep thought. I never realized that I’ve been staring at Yufa Haruna’s eyes so long that I made her freak out.

“Ah! I’m sorry if it’s hard to believe, but all of that is true!” She explained while shaking and shrugging her arms.

“No, I’m not doubting your words. I’ve seen enough weird magical things already that a zombie demon planet wouldn’t surprise me anymore.” I said as I straightened my back. “But don’t you have Guinevere Arcaliburn as your Archon?”

“About that, she’s not part of the Cathedral. Long story short, Guinevere blames the Cathedral Exa for the death of her father. So I can’t expect her to help me in hunting Undead Demons. In fact, she wants me to quit my obligations in the cathedral to keep me safe. Remember that sniper during my concert? That's a sleeper agent that was controlled by an Undead Demon, I'm sure of it.”

All of a sudden, Yufa Haruna enveloped my hands with her warm fingers. Her purple puppy-eyes locked with mine which made this cuteness impossible to resist.

“Mister John Casterdyne, I know you have a good heart. You even healed me even if I was your enemy. I know that I can trust you with all my heart and soul. You’re the only Archon I know who can help me with this responsibility! Please, I’m begging you, join the Cathedral!”

Those sweet words… I’m dying.

“Uh, there’s something you’re slightly mistaking,” I said. “The Archonlight System is not mine to use. Lizzy gave it to me for the purpose of helping her get back to power.”

“Then ask her! Ask the princess to join us too!” Yufa Haruna’s eyes sparkled as if she just saw a buy-one-take-one promo in a supermarket. "I'll even help her gain her honor back!"

“O-Okay, I’ll try asking her about it.”

As I said those words, the maid served us our orders. She gave out my cappuccino and nachos while Yufa had her chamomile tea and quiche.

“Are these your orders, ma’am?” It was a vaguely familiar voice, and it came from the maid.

“Yes~” Yufa smiled at the server maid when suddenly her skin became pale and her eyes became blank. She even started to stutter as if she’s a bugged NPC. “E-Eh?”

I looked at the maid and I was also frozen with what I saw.

It was a goddess in a black maid outfit. She’s wearing black square-framed glasses and cat-eared headband. The cat-maid has long pony-tailed black hair, flawless skin, and golden eyes. Guess who it is.

“No, you got the wrong person!” Lizzy immediately turned away.

“There’s no way I'm wrong!” I screamed.

Lizzy has this blushing face as she hugged her tray. She just stood stiff like a poor kid being sermoned in front of a classroom. Her golden eyes are filled with embarrassment that it’s about to cry.

“W-What!?” The so-called Princess of Agartha Cat-Maid has transformed from an adorable kind server to a bitchy princess in five seconds flat.

“N-Nothing!” I answered.

I know that we shouldn’t comment on why she’s working in a maid cafe, wearing a cat-maid outfit, and serving coffee to people who should be several ranks lower than her. I never would have thought that she could stoop so very low!

If I dare say a word, she might kill me.

6