CHAPTER 38 – I WAS ALMOST DEAD, BUT-
103 5 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 38 - I WAS ALMOST DEAD, BUT-

[Battle Control Offline]

[Archonlight System Shutting Down]

So this is it. This is my end. There’s no way a normal human like me could be alive after having his heart torn to shreds by a freaking demon. I don’t even have the strength to close my eyes anymore.

But I can see them. I can see Yufa crying over me. I can no longer hear her, but I know she’s calling my name. I can see Lizzy fighting desperately to survive against hordes of soldiers, Aegis Knights, and even her demonic brother. She has even lost her left eye in the process, and most of her wounds are bleeding non-stop.

It’s just a matter of time before Lizzy and Yufa end up dead, just like me. And there’s nothing I could do for them.

I guess I’m just a sore loser until the end.

<>

My whole life flashed in front of my eyes. It’s my brain replaying images and memories I had since I was born. And I knew that my life is beyond hopeless.

John Casterdyne is a complete loser. A sore idiot who lives as a walking joke. Ever since I was born, nobody has ever acknowledged my existence.

I can still remember when I was a kid, maybe four or five years old. I heard my mother and father arguing, so I went to the door. I wish I haven’t heard what they thought of me at that time.

“Oh, oh, there’s your son! Stop shouting at me you bitchass fuck!”

“So he’s my son now!? You shitbag really want to pass your mistakes to others!”

“Well, you listed him as your son when filing for your taxes!”

“What else is he good for, huh? That’s not my son until I claim my tax deductions!”

“He was your mistake! That’s what you get for being broke and not able to afford abortion five years ago!”

“You should have grabbed a shovel and scooped him out of your ass then!”

<>

I can remember some of my painful memories in high school. Since I’m not an achiever in academics and not good at anything, I’m often mocked by my teachers. Because of my poor performance, I was summoned by my homeroom teacher.

“Mr. John Casterdyne, what the fuck is this?”

I squinted my eyes, but before I could open my mouth, my teacher shouted.

“You know the fuck this is! It’s your report card! Why are your grades like this?”

“T-The tests are hard, and everybody failed.” 

“Don’t fuck with me, Mr. Casterdyne! I’m your homeroom teacher! I know that you’re not half as good as an average student! Do you have any reason why your grades are failing?”

“Uh… I-”

“Shut up! I don’t want to hear any of your excuses! Look! Look at your grades! It’s full of Ds Es and Fs! You know what that stands for?”

“I don’t.”

“D stands for Dumbass, E stands for Eyesore, and F stands for a Fucking Failure! All of these describe you!”

<>

I can remember when I had my first-anniversary date with my ex-girlfriend Clara. Since I’m short in money, we did our date in the public park and had some street foods to be our romantic dinner. However, that date didn’t go as planned.

“Happy Anniversary Babe~”

“John, what the fuck is this? Why are we here in this crowded stinky place? And what is in this gift?”

“Socks! It’s my anniversary gift for you, baby!”

“No! I don’t want this place! I don’t want these socks!”

“Well worry not! I have another anniversary gift!”

“What?”

“Me!” I twinkled my eyes to look cute.

“That makes three things I do not want then!” My girlfriend picked up her bag and went home.

<>

Not even my friends acknowledge me. Most of the time, I would be left in the cold, not able to play games with them. I remember when they are filling up the squad and they refused to join me in.

“Four players. We need one more person for a squad.”

“Me! I’ll join you!”

“No! We’re going to run on fours instead!”

“What? Why?” I asked.

“Your game is trash! Your moves are garbage! You’re a feeder! Your existence is a mistake! Your mom should have aborted you! Your girlfriend should dump you! I hope you drown in a glass of water! I wish you a step on a lego! Fuck you John Casterdyne, you should die!”

<>

John Casterdyne is a complete failure.

I’m so pathetic. I always give the best of me, but nothing turns out to be alright. Nobody has praised me for anything. I have never done anything to be considered an achievement. This pitiful existence of mine is nothing but a cycle of trainwrecks.

Nobody would cry if my life ends here. Reality has slapped that fact to me so many times already. In fact, my life should have ended back in that grove…

The grove where I met Lizzy.

Come to think of it, we have the same predicament. She may be beautiful, smart, skilled, and is an actual princess, but everything she has is for naught. People neglected her, in the same manner as mine.

We’re both victims of this brutally cruel world.

If only I can change it…

If only I have the power to change it…

I will do everything I can to give everyone what they deserve.

In this infinite void of darkness, I can see a faint light. It's like a faraway ember that continues to burn, guiding me to my way. I started to walk towards it and noticed that the ember is getting bigger and bigger.

Suddenly, I saw the flames burst out in the shape of a phoenix. I can feel its warmth and its voice calling for my name.

"Mister John... Please come back... Please come back..." It was Yufa Haruna's soothing voice.

I tried to reach out my hand for the phoenix-shaped flames. Suddenly, my right arm glowed white circuits as if I am still wielding the Archonlight System. A wall of computer programming texts filled up this infinite void.

[Command Granted]

[Genesis Protocol Number 10111100]

[Reprogramming Reality Command Codes]

[Archonlight System Optimal]

[Archon’s Condition All Green]

[Registered Fighters Detected: 3]

[Archonlight System Booting Up]

[Establishing Battlefield Control, Please Stand by]

[Developer Options Unlocked]

[Debugging Mode Set to On]

[Command Code Cooldown Set to Zero]

[Command Code Mana Cost Set to Zero]

[Ultimate Cooldown Set to Zero]

[True Form Cooldown Set to Zero]

[Instakill Cooldown Set to Zero]

[Forbidden Command Codes Unlocked]

[Command Code Casting Set from Oral to Mental]

After seeing that seemingly endless wall of texts from my system, I urged to open my eyes.

I saw myself standing at the center of the battlefield where I left off. Yufa was there in my side, drenched with blood, sweat, and her own tears. She is holding my hand, and was so happy to see me alive.

I saw Lizzy jumping back to my position with a shocked expression. She’s surprised that I’m back to the world of the living.

"J-John?" Lizzy held her chest. “Y-You’re alive!”

I looked at my chest and saw that it’s still intact. It’s as if the stabbing didn’t happen at all. The only evidence that it took place is the endless pool of blood at my feet.

I’m all topless now, with my scrawny body revealing white circuits flowing through my skin. Archonlight flows from and to every cell of my body, making me feel a lot more alive than before.

A cybernetic circle materialized at the center of my chest which is the source of the Archonlight. Sparks of white electricity covered my body, and now my hair has turned glowing silver and spiky.

I saw the reflection of my eyes through Lizzy’s golden irises. My sclera is now dark as a void, but my irises are now white cybernetic circles.

[Full Authorization Set]

Suddenly, a huge warning sign appeared in front of my face. There was also this siren beep inside my brain. And then, the system introduced me to the name of its true power.

[Master Control Activated]

5