CHAPTER 44 – IT WAS ALL JUST OBLIGATORY
86 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 44 - IT WAS ALL JUST OBLIGATORY

It was a familiar white wooden ceiling when I woke up. The fluorescent lights lit up the room, making me able to see the curtains towering around me. I immediately realized that I’m here in the Cathedral Exa’s infirmary.

My body aches and my muscles can’t muster the strength. I think the Archonlight System fried my nerves, but I can still move my hands and feet just fine. It’s like having a stiff neck but in all major joints of my body. 

“You’re finally awake.”

It was an unfamiliar feminine voice in a monotone. When I raised my body, I saw a short scrawny girl with silver hair. Her skin is pale white as talcum powder, and she has this huge eyebags as if she never sleeps. This silver-haired girl is wearing a lab gown and a stethoscope, and she’s carrying a clipboard.

“My name is Dr. Goldcliffe. I am the health supervisor of this cathedral.” The doctor said as she prepared a chair for her to sit beside me. “How are you feeling?”

“I think I’m fine, just slightly weaker than normal.”

“That’s because all mana on your body has been depleted. You slept for about twelve hours.” The emotionless sleep-deprived doctor said in the same monotone.

I looked at the clock on the wall, and it indicates that it’s already six in the evening. I’ve never slept like a log like that. Even though I did sleep half a day, I still feel weak.

Suddenly, the doctor talked in the same robotic tone. I think she’s trying hard to speak and convey her emotions as a human but she’s failing terribly.

“Do you want anything? Would you like dinner? A bath? Or maybe some peroxide?”

“Ah, no thanks.” I forced a smile. “I’m good. Just a cup of water will do.”

“Okay.” The doctor said as she exited the curtains.

Almost immediately, another person approached me. It was Yufa Haruna. Her outfit for the day is a white nurse’s uniform, complete with the hat, the short skirt, and leggings. She was overjoyed when she saw me awake.

“Oh! Mr. Casterdyne! How are you?”

“I’m fine. What’s with that outfit?” I asked.

“I’m helping Dr. Goldcliffe to treat the patients~” Yufa hopped and then made a peace sign while winking. “Cute, right?”

“Yeah.” I blushed. She really is adorable!

Suddenly, I remembered what Guinevere told me before I slept. She said that Yufa was responsible for reviving me, so I should make sure that I thank her for that. I think Yufa made something that caused her trouble so I really should thank her.

“Uh, Yufa.”

“Yes?” Yufa tilted her head like a cute puppy.

“Thank you, for saving me. I don’t know how you revived me during that time, but-”

“Waaaaaah!” Yufa shrieked out to bury my voice. She immediately peeked outside and closed the curtains in a hurry. Then she approached me with a reddish face. “M-Mr. Casterdyne, please don’t tell anyone about that! At least not to any of the Cathedral Exa’s staff!”

“O-Okay.” I nodded. “You don’t want anyone to know about your powers?”

“I-It’s not that!” Yufa cried. She immediately pressed her face forward to mine. “I-It’s a secret ritual that no one should know!”

“Fine.” I made a gesture zipping my mouth. “I’ll take that secret to my grave.”

“Geez!” Yufa angrily pouted. She covered her lips with her delicate fingers while being flustered. “You learned it from Guin, didn’t you?”

“Yeah,” I said in an uncaring manner.

I don’t know why Yufa is acting all so embarrassed. Reviving a person is a great achievement, and I want to brag that I revived Zell Wingate with my system after going out of this infirmary. But since Yufa is panicking like crazy, I guess all her embarrassment is in the conduction of the ritual itself. Just what did she do to me?

Yufa shyly wiggled her body as she mustered her courage to talk. She bowed down to avoid my eyes.

“I… I’m sorry… for stealing a kiss.” She mumbled.

“You what?” I exclaimed.

“I stole a kiss! I’m sorry!” Yufa cried. She’s really red as a tomato and her eyes are on the verge of unleashing tears. “Please forgive me for doing it while you’re unconscious!”

I actually had an idea, and I’m just waiting for Yufa to spill the beans since I’m not a hundred percent sure. But now that she admitted it, there’s no doubt in my mind. An idol kissed me, yahoo! I want to celebrate, but I have to meet the serious mood.

Yufa bowed as she continued her story.

“It’s the only way to save you. I was horrified when I saw Prince Alfeus tore your chest. It was a hopeless situation and a spur of the moment. I knew I had to do the Phoenix First Kiss Ritual to bring you back to life. Or else, we would all die.”

“Phoenix First Kiss Ritual?” I asked.

“It’s one-time-only revival magic we Phoenix Incarnates can cast in our lifetime. I can only use it during my first kiss. I hesitated to use it with Zell when he died. The same goes for Queen Astrea. But when I saw you drop dead, I couldn’t help it anymore. I knew I had to use it on you.” Yufa bowed. “I’m sorry!”

“You shouldn’t be sorry,” I said as I scratched my reddish cheeks. “I was grateful that you did that. In fact, you actually did the best decision. If it wasn’t for you, I shouldn’t have activated Master Control. I wouldn’t be able to revive Zell or heal you or Lizzy. That ambush was a lost cause for all of us.”

Yufa’s blueberry eyes sparkled. She held my hands and pressed her face forward again, but now with a happy smile.

“Thank you for your understanding, Mr. Casterdyne! You’re really a nice guy! I’m quite embarrassed at first, but now I’m thankful that I gave my obligatory first kiss to you!”

So it was all obligatory, huh? All my hopes of romance with a pop star idol went down the drain. 

What am I thinking? Of course, Yufa will never fall for a college flunker like me! Her first kiss with me does not mean anything! It’s not like she was my first kiss too, but I can’t help but feel a little bit heartbroken.

I need to change the topic. I need to cleanse my mind from this made-up frustration of mine.

“Anyway, where’s Zell and Lizzy?” I asked.

“Oh!” Yufa stood back. “Mr. Zell is undergoing diagnostics with the doctor. He was asked to do some running on a treadmill for about thirty minutes. He woke up a few hours earlier than you and he seemed fine.”

“What about Lizzy?”

“Princess Alessia woke up an hour ago. I think she wandered on the other side of the mountain. She’s really snobby when she woke up as if she does not want anybody to talk to her. I think she needs some fresh air since her mother just died.”

That’s not all of it. Her mother dying is just one thing. If there’s someone who’s incredibly hurt because of that incident, it would be Lizzy. Everyone in Agartha betrayed her. Even her own brother.

“I need to see her.” 

Ignoring the stinging feeling on my nerves, I immediately got out of my bed.

5