The Devil Gets a new Neighbor
182 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The devil never would’ve expected that her time on Earth would end up like this. After a few weeks since the events of Halloween, she had quickly risen up the ranks in the workplace. So much so that she received a mighty accolade that trumped anything she had done back on Enatis.

“Nice job.” Juuto congratulated his coworker for the award hanging on the wall. “You got employee of the month. Only on your second month too.”

“I know.” She could hardly contain her excitement. “I worked really hard for it too, I hope I can get it next month.”

“They don’t usually give it to people twice in a row.” He informed her. Though, with it being December, and thus the end of the year. Perhaps if she achieved something really amazing in relation to the holidays, there might be a shot for her.

“If I got a chance, then I’ll work twice as hard.” She proclaimed as the girl got right on getting her job done. If there was one thing he was grateful for, it would be be her diligence. When this girl got her sights set on something, she went all the way for it. This was great for him, especially given their life threatening experience just one month ago.

Just thinking about it felt surreal to him. The two of them could’ve died that night if he didn’t come up with a plan to save them. Yet it seemed like eons ago considering their attitudes now. Even more so, as said person who tried ending their lives entered the store.

“Hey you two.” Akitomo greeted them casually. In the days after their tussle, the trio had gotten used to seeing each other around this time. “Just here getting the usual.” The boy went to the aisle to pick up some microwaveable dinner.

When they got to know him better, it was a little sad to hear him talk about how quiet his days were. “Real shame there’s not much for me to do these days.” He said out loud, doing his usual guilt trip on Rame. One that never had any effect on the girl.

“I’m not giving you your powers back.” She repeated herself. “If you’re really bored, just go hang out with Mifuru. She doesn’t have anything better to do in her life either.”

“As if I’d hang out with a mutt.” He retorted.

“Look, I know it might be hard on you.” Unlike with Rame, Juuto and Akitomo were a little more friendly with each other. “But she has a point. Besides, you otherworlders should probably stick together since you’re all pretty familiar with each other.”

“I’m familiar with all the suffering she’s caused.” He responded, walking up to the register with his meal in hand. While he was paying, there was important news that the boy felt needed to be revealed now. “Oh by the way. Apparently someone’s moving into the apartment unit next to you tomorrow.” Akitomo informed Rame.

“Really? I guess that means we should probably help move them in.” She pondered on who the person was going to be. Obviously, it wasn’t like she would know who it was. Hopefully, it was someone who was nice.

“I’ll be at work at the time they’re apparently coming in. So I’ll just meet them later.” He worked during the lunch shift at some store called ‘Mendy’s’, which was a fast-food joint. That’s where he had been working ever since coming to this world, since he had zero experience to show them. It was even more important for him to make sure he did a good job now that the boy was without his precious magic.

“Hmm, well it’s my day off tomorrow.” Juuto decided to offer his own aid to this stranger.

“Really? It’s not something that affects you.” She asked.

“Well, technically it does.” He replied. “If they’re moving into this neighborhood, then I’ll eventually see them at the store. Plus it doesn’t have to affect me to want to help out. You’re still my friend, so I’m helping you too.” With that, they plans for the next day were prepared.

***

“They should be arriving soon.” Mifufi said as they all sat inside the one room apartment. Juuto was never here very often, and for good reason too. This place felt really cramped with just the three of them. He imagined that it wasn’t all that bad when it was just the two girls in here.

“I wonder what they’re like?” Juuto wondered out loud. No matter the type of person they were, he would try to be friendly to them. After all, this was an opportunity for a new customer for the store.

Hopefully they were nice.

“As cool as it is to get neighbors.” Rame commented while slurping up some noodles. “It’ll make things harder to keep our secret.” Indeed, no one was to figure out their true identities. So having someone live just one wall away meant they couldn’t have conversations carelessly. That would lead to a lot of awkward questions.

“I believe they’re here.” Mifuru heard a car door closing. Her suspicions were correct when they peered out the window to see a lone woman holding a large bag.

Juuto hadn’t really considered the gender of the person moving in. Even if he knew that she was a girl, he certainly wouldn’t have cared to think about her appearance. But even he couldn’t deny her beauty.

This woman was absolutely gorgeous. Her bright blonde hair was done back in a bun, with two strands hanging down the sides of her face. Emerald eyes were visible even from this distance. A solid bust with slender legs, this was one that few men wouldn’t drool over.

However, even with her body’s natural charm. He couldn’t help but notice that scowl on her face. What could possibly already have her appear so cross?

“Hello.” Rame greeted the woman as she got to the top of the stairs. “Looks like we’re going to be neighbors, so we’re here to help you move in.” However, as she was making that offer. It didn’t seem like this person had anything else beyond that large bag of hers. Despite its size, the bag seemed light as a feather with how she carried it with ease.

“Thanks, but I can take care of it myself.” Her response was cold as she simply walked past all of them. She didn’t even bother to introduce herself, as she went to unlock her door.

“Uh, what’s your name?” Rame asked. The girl turned her head and gave her a cold stare.

“Can’t you read?” She pointed over to the nameplate by her door. It read, ‘Marie Kamei’. Her rudeness was duly noted by the demon girls. Juuto contemplated over her name, and her appearance. Kamei might be a family name in Japan, but Marie could point towards one of the English speaking countries. So it seemed that this girl was a foreigner with Japanese heritage.

If it was a foreign tourist, then he could imagine them being a little rude. But even in his experience that was rare. However, this person was moving here. Yet they acted like they didn’t care about anything around here, so why would they?

As he was looking at her. Marie was doing the same back to him. “And who are you?” She directed this question towards him.

“I don’t live here.” He answered. “I’m just a friend to these girls and I wanted to come help out with the move-in.”

“A friend huh?” She said, putting her keys into the door. “I want to talk to you then.” Marie said as her door opened up. “Alone.”

“That’s sounds odd.” He commented, feeling a sense of dread. Her voice didn’t make it sound like an invitation, but more of a command like an army general. They had only known each other for a minute, and things were already going in an interesting direction.

“She’s taken an interest in you so quickly. I guess you must be considered a charmer.” Mifuru commented with a straight face, but he took it as a teasing comment.

“Okay…” Juuto accepted the offer. This could turn out to be a bad idea, but if this girl was going to be cool with him. Perhaps he could help out the other two girls get on good terms with this person. “I’ll be right back.” He told Rame and Mifuru to ease their tension.

With that, he entered the room with this strange woman.

7