The Retainer Steps up
112 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rame was too much in shock with what was happening to react in time. Marie was about to grab her, but thanks to the intervention of one important person. Her powers weren’t going to get sapped.

With a loud bang, Akitomo came charging in. He kicked down the table, interrupting their foes from taking action. Then he stood between them and her.

“My, my.” Marie wasn’t the least bit flustered by his arrival. “So you’ve finally decided to show your face.”

“I can’t allow you to do this.” He said, his arms outreached to cover the two girls and Juuto. “Who would’ve guessed that you were in with the league of assassins.”

“League of… Assassins?” Juuto was barely able to speak the words as he attempted to get back on his feet. They were an organization seeking to gain power in the world of Enatis. Generally, it was done through the chaos caused by their assassinations of powerful figures. Kings, queens, or major ranking generals. They weren’t above kidnapping the children of rich and powerful people in an attempt to extort funds for their operations.

“You’re a hero, shouldn’t that mean something?” Akitomo attempted to reason with his former comrade.

“It’s just a classification, and I’ve been working for them for a long time now… Even while we were allies.” She responded. “Now, if you’re done chatting, perhaps we should have that duel you always used to want between us.”

“…” He grit his teeth in frustration. His arrogant side would’ve accepted this challenge without any hesitation. However, he was without any of his elemental magic, reduced to just a mere human of this world. Worse yet, even if he did still have his powers. The boy wasn’t certain that he’d come out on top of this battle.

“What’s wrong?” She mocked him. “Has living here made you soft? Why haven’t you used on of your spells on me yet?”

“I’ll handle this.” Mifuru got in front of him, readying a stance against her opponent. “You should take Juuto to safety.”

“I can’t believe that the two of you are so cowardly that you’ll have the servant fight me.” Marie had no fear against the one she was facing. “No matter, once I’m finished with her, then I’ll get my prize.”

“Are you sure about this?” Rame asked her loyal aide.

“Neither of you are in a state to be fighting.” It was obvious that Rame had discharged the rest of her power in sealing Akitomo’s. Without a way to charge it back up, she’d be helpless against this woman. Meanwhile, Mifuru had an ace up her sleeve.

“I can’t believe a mutt’s going to be saving our butts.” Akitomo said as he and Rame hoisted up the helpless Juuto.

“How can she… Fight?” The man asked as he was being dragged away.

“Mifuru’s a half-breed.” Rame answered.

A half-breed. Specifically one who was half of a human from Enatis and the other half being a demon. Mifuru was the result of an unholy union between the two. This was all proven as the girl showed off her powers on Earth for the first time. One of her eyes glowed red, similar to how Rame’s were back at the restaurant. Yet at the same time, her hands didn’t use the same dark magic. Instead, the small spark of flames emitted from her fingertips.

Unfortunately, just like with the limitations on Asaga’s water abilties. She was only able to use a mere fraction of her true power.

While that fight was heating up, the trio had reached some semblance of safety for Juuto. That was when he commanded them to place him down propped up on a wall.

“What’s wrong, are you hurt?” She asked him, but that wasn’t the problem here.

“We can’t run away.” He told them, barely able to move his arms.

“He’s right.” Akitomo was quick to agree. After all, that was her next door neighbor they were talking about. “Please, you gotta unseal my powers so I can fight her.” He was also quick to beg for his magic back.

“What? After everything you did to us. There’s no way I’d do that.” Rame was adamant in not allowing that to happen. For all she knew, this was all an elaborate ruse to get her to return his powers back so that he could eliminate her once and for all.

“Speaking of your… Powers.” Juuto tried his best to but into the conversation. He had to put effort into his every word just to talk with them. “What did… She do to me?”

“She was attempting to steal Rame’s powers.” Those gloves were the source of her powers. Attached to them were magical crystals, in her case of lightning magic. That was how she seemingly didn’t lose any anything to get to this world. It was also thanks to them that she was able to summon a sword out of thin air.

Since she had tried to steal someone’s powers. That meant that one of those gloves was equipped with a plain crystal waiting to be charged through magical means. This meant she was fighting at half strength against Mifuru, since it had to power to be summoned.

“You’ll be fine after some rest.” He finished. Which sounded good, if it wasn’t for the fact that they didn’t know if they’d make it to see that happen. “But are we really supposed to be relying on your hound?”

“She’s not my loyal retainer for nothing.” She said that, but against someone as strong as Marie. It would take quite an effort to succeed.

Mifuru was getting pushed back in her battle. Despite still having access to her flames, it was weak compared to even just one full powered crystal in Marie’s arsenal. The girl had to stay on the defensive the entire time. Partially due to being overpowered, and also in a futile attempt to minimize the energy drain her her state.

“We’re doomed.” Akitomo was ready to throw in the towel. “I never should’ve relied on a commoner for my plan.”

“You know, I think you’re better at giving up than being a wizard.” Rame scolded him by knocking on over the top of the head. Then she went to cheer on her friend to keep up her fighting.

“I see, so this world really does reduce the strength of your powers.” Marie commented, throwing another lightning bolt. Just as with every time she did such an attack, Mifuru engulfed her arms in flames to deflect the blow. “I guess this is why Merlin is too frightened to fight me.”

“Why you.” Akitomo almost fell for the taunt, which forced Rame to have to physically hold him back.

“It’s no matter.” Mifuru shot a line of flames right for her target. “I’m your opponent right now.” Something about this move struck Juuto as odd. Why did she attack now of all times? Up until now, she was playing defense, as if trying to buy them time. Yet a battle of attrition was not favorable for them, so he couldn’t understand the strategy.

The same went for that blast of hers. It wasn’t all that strong, nor was it fast. Of course it was no surprise when Marie sidestepped it. There was no way it would any any affect on hurting the woman. Unless… This wasn’t to hurt her, but to put her in a position where it would.

“You’ve left yourself open.” Marie declared as she summoned her blade. She rushed in to stab the girl in the jugular. It appeared this was going to be the case, yet Mifuru didn’t seem the least bit afraid for her life.

“And you’ve left yourself open.” She simply said. Marie didn’t understand what she meant with that, until she felt a rush of water sweeping her up off her feet. The woman tripped and fell to the ground. Her blade dropped from her grip as she slid along the hard concrete floor towards her target.

As soon as she stopped moving, a figure slammed down onto her with a full tackle. It was Asaga, who had blindsided her with his magic and got on top of her.

“It’s that farmer guy.” Akitomo was in shock that the person he called for help had finally arrived. Quickly, he sprung into action by directing his actions. “Her gloves, that’s the source of her powers.”

“Don’t ya worry a bit.” Asaga used his brute physical strength to overpower her. He had already been informed on what she was capable of, so he took care not to allow her to suck up his magic. The man used the grappling skills he had learned by wrestling with pigs to easily take care of the threat.

She struggled the entire time, but he was that much stronger than her. “Got it.” He triumphantly gloated as the gloves were tossed aside.

“No!” Marie shouted out in anger as she watched her weapons be picked up by her arch rival, Akitomo.

“Heh.” He simply laughed in her face, while walking up to her still pinned by the farmer. “Looks like it’s time for you to answer our questions now.” She didn’t like the look on his face, as he put on the gloves.

7