The Devil Prays for the First Time
36 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

And so, the plans for the new years celebration were in place. It wasn’t hard to set things up. Most of the people of the other world just so happened to live in the same apartment complex. Well, calling it a complex was a bit much, seeing as there were only three total units available for tenets who weren’t the landlord. A bit of an oddity to Juuto, seeing as it was a shame they had to deal with non humans, unbeknownst to them.

Actually, that was strange indeed. Were they so bad at their job that they didn’t care who lived here? The man would’ve imagined these people had to be using fake IDs. Then again, maybe they were really good at faking their identities.

“Ahh, so you must be that friend everyone keeps talking about.” Speaking of landlord, Juuto happened to run into the man as he came over to the place. He was simple just minding about his business, cleaning up a few things outside to keep the place presentable.

“Haha, yeah. It’s kind of funny how I know everyone who lives here.” He responded. This was a man he had seen around a few times while working. Made since, as they both lived in the neighborhood. Though unlike with most other residents, Juuto couldn’t say he knew him well. In fact, he was struggling to remember the man’s name.

“Sorry, I guess we haven’t had a proper introduction yet.” Said the landlord. “My name’s Nakatoshi Kano. Obviously, I’m sure you’ve figured I’m the landlord here.”

“Yeah, since all of us are going to be heading to the shrine. I assume you’ll be able to go there too, right?”

“Of course, but I was planning on heading there later in the evening.” The man told him. “I trust everyone here won’t be messing things up after I’m done working for the day.”

“I’m surprised you’re the one doing all the work.” Juuto did feel a bit concerned given the man’s age. “Do you not have any family?”

“No, unfortunately not.” Nakatoshi replied, stretching out his back. “Don’t worry about me, there’s not a lot about this old man that you need to learn about.” He shooed him away, telling him that he shouldn’t keep the others waiting. While, the man was uncertain about leaving him like this. It seemed that there was no other option at the moment. So Juuto walked up the steps and knocked on the door to Rame’s unit.

“I see everyone really is invited.” He commented as they opened the door. Everyone that lived here was there, and Asaga came along too. “I didn’t realize you all were interested in the traditions.”

“Well, some of us need to keep an eye on the demon lord.” Said Akitomo. “A place where hundreds of people are going will certain attract temptation of danger.”

“It’s probably more like dozens. We’re not that big of a town.” He replied.

“Well, I used to have this tradition about praying for rain to water my crops.” Said Asaga. Of course, being summon who could summon water, it wasn’t like he needed it. But, it did make him not have to work as hard. “Not sure what I’ll ask for this time though. It’ll certainly be different.”

“Okay, so since I’m the one who knows his way around town. I’ll lead the way.” And so, Juuto took the whole gang to the shrine. It was weird walking out in public in broad daylight with all of them. First because he was used to just going about town all by himself. The boy never had much friends in his adult life to hang out with casually and his former manager who he was close to was much older than him.

The second being that despite them being his friends. He did take note that out of everyone, he was the only one from Earth. That fact did make him feel a bit separated out of this group.

“I’m looking forward to making a prayer.” Said Marie. “It’s been a while since I’ve paid respects. Plus, I do have something in mind I’d like to make a wish for.”

“And what would that be?” Asked Akitomo, eyeing her with a suspicious glare.

“Ah ah ah.” She wagged a finger in front of his face. “If I tell you, then it’ll never come true.” That seemed to be the excuse everyone had when they didn’t want to tell what their wish was. Not that Juuto could disagree with that. These are supposed to be personal, and having others know about it kind of defeated the purpose.

“Whatever.” The young boy responded by crossing his arms and pouting. “As long as it’s not something silly that involves me.”

“Fufufu.” She giggled after that exchange. It was weird for him to be looking at those two all casual. Not too long ago, each of them were attempting to end the life of Rame. Both times also got him involved in the dangerous situation, where it seemed neither had any regard of his well being. Did he every forgive them for those actions? Or was it just something brushed aside.

“I hope there’s nothing bothering you.” Mifufu did take note of his mood. “You are the boss to my boss, so I’ll do anything you ask of me.”

“Oh, no it’s nothing like that.” He replied. “And, I’m only Rame’s manager at work. When it something like this, we’re only friends. So don’t treat me like I’m someone special.” While it would be nice to have a servant, the man wasn’t looking for anyone to wait on his every beck and call. “Anyway, here we are now.”

As promised, he led them to the shrine. Also as he had described, there were indeed dozens of people who had made the trek here to offer their prayers and ask for potential wishes. It was the typical matters, asking for things like good health to the ones they loved and stuff like that. “I’ll go first, so pay attention so you understand our customs.” He told them.

As the man walked up the steps, he pondered about the people looking at him right now. All this time, he had been showing everyone about how things were done around here. How the people here lived their lives. That made him wonder, would there ever be a time for him to learn about their past lives on Enatis? Sure, with the demons, they likely only knew battle. But surely someone like Asaga understood the day-to-day life that was likely how most lived their lives. He was a farmer, so if there was anyone who made for a good representative, it would be him.

Juuto stood alone as he made his prayers. It was also during this time that he wondered what he should be making his wishes for. Obviously, there was the standard asking for good health, but given the changes in his life. He knew there should be something more that he could try to work for. Sure, these wishes to some were superstition, but he knew that whatever he wanted, it was so for a reason.

“I want to know… If they can truly be my friends.” He quietly muttered to himself. Being far away from everyone, no one could hear his words. Deep inside, he knew that was what his heart longed for. After that, he returned to the group, making his way back down the steps. “So it’s that simple, but don’t do anything other than what I just did.”

“Can do!” Rame gave a salute and immediately rushed up the steps.

“Yeah, just make sure to keep it simple too.” He directed her on making sure whatever she wished for was reasonable. Given the lives they lived, it was clear they had very different points of view. So what was normal for her, certainly was fantastical in his eyes. Still, that didn’t keep him from wondering what she was going to wish for. What they all were going to wish for.

Rame got up to the shrine and clasped her hands together in the same manner in which Juuto did earlier. When he had told her about this traditions. About how people made wishes on this day in the hopes of it coming true later into the new year. The girl knew immediately what she wanted to ask for. Even if a demon lord like herself may not deserve the gods ear, she was going to try anyway.

“I wish for…” And with that, she had made her wish. From where he was standing, Juuto would say she did a reasonable job at this for someone doing it for the first time. His only gripe would be the fact that she didn’t ask for good health for everyone. At least, that would be it if he knew that she failed to do that one tiny bit.

“Good job.” He rewarded her by patting the girl on the head as she returned to the group. “Now, just go up one at a time. When we’re all finished here, how about we celebrate this new year with some good food?”

2