Vol 04 Ch03: Heart To Heart
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 03A: Heart To Heart – Raise The Flag (Perspective: Ren)

After finally escaping the onlookers' gazes a new predicament was soon upon me.

"Ren-sama, can you please rub this on my back?" Elizabeth requests whilst handing me a bottle of sun lotion.

"Of course." I nod back in excitement. This is an absolute for all beach events.

I hold the bottle in my hand as Elizabeth lies on her front, her back is completely exposed. I gulp silently as I rub the lotion into my hands.

I slowly move my hands to Elizabeth's smooth skin when. "AHHH!" She moans whilst her body jolts.

I instinctively move my hands away, "Sorry..." I say reflexively. Did I screw up?

"I was just surprised by how cold the lotion was." Elizabeth smiles, "Please continue, Ren-sama."

I do as I am requested and return to massaging Elizabeth's back with sunblock. A huge tingle runs through my hands with every motion I make.

This is the first time I've initiated such intimate contact with a girl.

I've never been in a relationship until now. Girls had confessed to me a couple of times, but I turned them all down. I did consider accepting despite holding no feelings for them, but I rejected such notions on the ground that they sincerely stated their feelings. There was no way I could agree half heartedly, such an action would only cause pain further down the line. Elizabeth is the first person I've ever felt so strongly for.

I wonder why? Why did I fall in love with Elizabeth?

After being killed by Vincent my soul was sent to Purgatory where I first laid eyes on her. I was immediately taken in by her presence. She had a few annoying quirks such as her laugh but she also had a noble aura.

After defeating her in a rigged game of strip heads or tails I felt a sensation I hadn't felt before. Gazing at the naked body of a beautiful girl, as a teenage guy lustful feelings are bound to emerge. Yet, I felt nothing of the sort. What I felt was pure emotion that lacked any sinister desire. A feeling that I both could and couldn't understand.

That's why when Elizabeth announced our engagement I agreed without any hesitation. My death as a regular human opened up a path to happiness.

And right now, I'm massaging the back of the very first girl I can say I truly love. My self conscience at the current situation increases the magnitude of the tremor in my hands.

I grind my teeth in self annoyance and bite my lip. I refuse to become a hetare!

With my strong determination and the pain in my lip, my shaking ceases and I enjoy the touch of Elizabeth's skin to the utmost.

I massage the lotion along her back, neck, and legs in slow succession until she is one hundred percent sun proof.

"Thank you, Ren-sama." Elizabeth says as she gets back to her feet and then turns her eyes to the chocolate skinned polkodot bikini clad, Ivana-san. "Alma-san, although you have tanned skin, you should still have some sunblock." Elizabeth states with shining scheming eyes.

Wait is she…?

"Yeah, true enough..." Alma agrees before lying face down on the sand. Elizabeth sends me a wink.

So this truly was her objective. Not that I'm complaining.

"This amount of skinship is necessary to make a girl yours, Ren-sama," She whispers. "You also need to gain more confidence with girls."

Did Elizabeth notice my trembling before?

"That only happened because it was you, the girl I've fallen for." I whisper back.

Elizabeth's face instantly turns red at my answer. "I see...Ren-sama was only nervous...because it was me..." Elizabeth holds her burning cheeks in her hands as she utters something to herself.

"Uh...Elizabeth..." I pat my fiancé's shoulder and her body jolts.

Ahem! - Elizabeth clears her throat and regains her calm before whispering to me. "Ren-sama, you should use this chance to improve your relationship with some of the other girls. Alma-san is one of the only girls who by my observation doesn't possess any romantic feelings towards Yuichi Shiro. You should use this chance to lay claim to her."

"Okay, I got it." I nod. Ivana-san is a bit masculine but she is indeed a pretty girl. She would definitely be a welcomed addition to the, yet to be established, Ren Kirei Harem.

With these thoughts I stride onwards to my battlefield. "Then Ivana-san..." I begin.

"Can I ask you to do my back for me, Shiori?" Ivana-san requests before I can finish.

"Yes, yes," Shiori-senpai agrees whilst approaching her partner.

"Hm, what's wrong, Ren Kirei?" Ivana-san asks whilst tilting her head, "Why are you standing like that?"

Upon Ivana-san's words I notice my strange posture of standing mid stride with one hand stretched out. I had stopped mid motion when I felt I lost the battle.

"Uh no, don't mind." I reply in embarrassment.

Man, I've been completely off my game all day. When did I become this pathetic?

"Hoh-hoh..." Shiori-senpai smiles to herself. "Sorry Alma, I just suddenly noticed I'm really thirsty. Have Ren-kun apply the lotion." She states whilst running off before Ivana-san can voice any objection.

Shiori-senpai noticed?

"Shiori-senpai, nice assist." Elizabeth says in a quiet voice.

"Then shall I..." I begin.

Ivana-san nods without a hint of embarrassment, "Please do." she says before returning to lying on her stomach.

Does she not see me as a man? I'm shocked at Ivana-san's lack of reluctance.

I quickly apply the lotion to my hands and begin massaging it along her back. "I'm surprised you aren't bothered about me doing this." I voice my thoughts.

"I don't differentiate between sexes. On the battlefield there is no man or woman, young or old. It is equally cruel to all."

This girl is a warrior to her very core.

"You mean you've never felt that way about anyone?" I begin my intelligence gathering. "Like, say for example, Yuichi."

"I'm indeed indebted to Yuichi Shiro for helping me reconcile with Alicia, but I feel nothing else beyond that."

"Oh right, you were on bad terms for some reason before."

"Did neither of them tell you the reason? Even though you're his best friend."

"We may be best friends, but we don't reveal other people's sensitive issues to each other."

"Ha," Ivana-san smiles, "Despite being so frivolous he has an unusually sensitive side. Well whatever, it's not like I need to hide it."

Ivana-san briefly explains how she met Alicia as well as the circumstances of her sister's death. Despite the painful subject Ivana-san doesn't show any hint of emotion as she recounts the events. Maybe she doesn't want to show any weakness, or has she simply come to terms with it.

"I see..." I do everything in my power to hold back my tears from the tragic tale. To lose her sister right before her eyes at such a young age. I don't even want to imagine what that must feel like. My glance moves over to Sakura who is playing happily with Yuna in the sea. Then my tears leak. The droplets of water fall gently onto Ivana-san's bare back.

Ivana-san turns around and opens her eyes wide when she looks at my face. "Sorry Ren Kirei, I shouldn't have brought up such a story when we came here to relax." She apologises with a self ridiculing smile.

Why am I the one being comforted? Shouldn't it be the other way around!?

"Just Ren..."

"Huh?"

"Just Ren, please stop calling me by my full name."

"Okay, Ren, then you can just call me Alma." From hearing this one sentence I can feel the two of us have gotten closer. I can't help but smile to myself.

I return to applying the lotion along Alma's well trained body. "You said before that you don't differentiate between boys and girls. Does that mean you've never liked anyone in that way?" I ask again, we went on a bit of a tangent before so time to return to the issue at hand.

"No, that isn't necessarily true. I liked someone, but the situation was a little...complicated." Alma confesses.

"Complicated?"

"He was and still is in love with Nadia-neesama."

"With Nadia-san, you mean..."

"Yes, Shuren was my first love." Alma shows a face that I'm seeing for the first time, a face filled with conflicting emotions.

"But isn't this Shuren-san..."

"Yes, Shiori confirmed it herself. He's the very same man pulling Enigma's strings. And that's why I want to see him. I want to confirm why he did that and find out if what I heard is the truth. If the Church truly had a hand in Nee-sama's death." Alma glares into the distance with strong eyes. "I will find out the truth!" From Alma's tone I can feel her determination.

I never knew any of this. The girl who I had been hanging out with has both a sad past and a personal mission. Upon learning of this my response is obvious. "I will help..."

"Huh?" Alma turns to me with a surprised expression

"I will help you!" I declare.

What started out as something of a girl hunt turned into a promise.

I think I might have raised a flag, but is it of friendship or romance?


Chapter 03B: Heart To Heart – Power Born From Sacrifice (Perspective: None)

Iodine was a man who had over seven decades of life under his belt, yet he didn't look a day over thirty. His semi long brown hair flowed back and forth with every echoing step he descended. His hawk eyes glared through the darkness down the stone staircase. His long pure white robe stood in stark contrast to his true dark mentality.

"""UAAAHHHH!""" Numerous horrible screams reached Iodine's ears the further down he walked. The screams of the tortured condemned littered the air.

Iodine approached a cell door and silently opened it. Inside many men and women hung, suspended in the air via multiple impalements. Their groans, despite their agony were weak. Their lives had been slowly drained away. They had been hung there for numerous days, a slow, but certain death, one designed to inflict the most pain possible.

"Be happy heathens your sins shall now be forgiven." With those words Iodine placed his hand into the nearest man like his body was made of water. When he withdrew his hand a blue spectral orb was in it. This orb was the very essence of a human's life, their soul. The victim who had his soul extracted instantly turned as white as a ghost and his body fell limp.

"Your sacrifices shall pave the way to a new bright future." Iodine smiled as the blue orb was absorbed into the atmosphere. Suddenly a tremor shook the entire building this caused Iodine's smile to thin further in delight.

"It seems Avalon requires more power. One soul isn't nearly enough." Iodine stated to himself as he gazed towards his next victim. Their lives were to be taken, and for all eternity shall they never be allowed to rest.

0