237. Battle of the Bridge
4.3k 5 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week later,

Near the construction site,

"Hurry up! The bridge is almost complete. Once finished, our village will be free from the clutches of the Gato organization. We will no longer depend on him to sustain ourselves."

Tazuna nudges the other workers of the village.

"Look at that kid! He is younger than you folks by a decade or two. Yet he is so energetic and active."

He points towards Naruto who is carrying four giant logs on his shoulders.

The group of workers turns towards Naruto who is running back and forth with the logs.

"Let's go. We will finish the bridge today."

One worker tightly clutches a wooden log and lifts it.

"Haah… A kid won't outdo me."

Another burly man picks up four logs like Naruto.

The rest of the group stares at him in amazement but the burly man is having a hard time maintain his vigor.

'Damn! This is too heavy. How the hell is that kid carrying such weight? Even the shinobi kids are so strong.'

The group of workers works diligently till afternoon.

"Let's take a break."

Tazuna halts the construction work.

"If nothing unusual happens, then this bridge would be completely constructed by evening."

Tazuna takes a deep breath as he reminisces about the past. Their land of Waves is an isolated island situated quite a distance from the mainland.

Being an island village, they have to depend on the mainland to sustain themselves. The only way of trade available to them is through the sea.

But five years ago, the Gato company emerged out of nowhere and monopolized the sea trade; leaving the village at their mercy.

Any voice of discontent was quickly suppressed, and any attempt at revolt was brutally crushed. Tazuna closes his eyes as some memories flood in his mind.

At a distance from the bridge,

Whoosh…. Whoosh…

Zabuza and Haku hide in the shadow of a tree as they monitor the bridge-building.

"The bridge is almost finished constructing. We must stop them today at all cost; if not, we can only blow the bridge."

Zabuza clutches Kubikiribōchō as bloodlust appears in his eyes.

"Kubikiribōchō needs blood to reform its blade. In my last battle with Kakashi Hatake, the blade was chipped off at the corner."

Zabuza caresses the blade at the broken end.

Haku silently nods his head.

"As you wish, Zabuza. I will follow your wishes."

Haku silently stares at the construction site as Naruto appears in his vision.

Unknowingly a brief smile appears on his face as the memory of how Naruto mistook him for a girl while picking herbs for Zabuza surfaces.

The boy was so shocked by the revelation that he even asked him to open his pants and confirm it.

Haku's face turns red from embarassment.

'But why did he call me a Trap? Is it some form of address in Leaf Village?'

"Let's go!"

Zabuza's hoarse voice falls in his ears.

"This time I am prepared. I will occupy Kakashi Hatake while you will look for a chance to assassinate the bridge builder."

"Yes! Zabuza."

Haku nods his head.

Whoosh…

"Also… keep an eye for those kids. They are quite powerful for their age."

Zabuza warns him before flickering towards the bridge.

Whoosh…

Haku follows him.

Hmm…

Sasuke who is silently meditating on top of a tree slowly opens his eyes.

"Just now someone was monitoring us. It must be those ninjas. I must inform Kakashi Sensei."

Whoosh…

He jumps from the top of the tree and lands in front of Kakashi, who is silently reading a book while instructing Sakura.

"Sakura! Your chakra control is quite good, but your perception of elemental chakra isn't good. If you want to cast a powerful genjutsu, then you have to use elemental chakra in conjugation with the Yin release."

"Yes… yes… Sensei!"

Sakura nods her head as beads of sweat trickles down her head.

'Why am I so useless? According to Sensei, I have very good chakra control even better than Naruto and Sasuke but my elemental affinity is so poor. I won't be able to use any ninjutsu with such poor elemental affinity. I just want Sasuke-kun… Sasuke-kun to praise me.'

A blush appears on Sakura's face, but it is quickly overpowered by the harsh exertion of her chakra.

Hmm…

Kakashi closes his book and lifts his head as his eyes meet with Sasuke.

"Is there anything bothering you, Sasuke?"

"Kakashi Sensei! The enemy Ninja is on move. Earlier, I sensed a gaze on me while I was meditating."

Mmm…

Kakashi nods his head.

"I am aware of it. I was waiting for you bunch to respond. Looks like only you could sense the enemy attack. Good job!"

He praises Sasuke and commands the rest of the team.

"Sakura! Stop your practice for now. The enemy is about to attack us anytime. You will help in the evacuation of the workers and protect Tazuna with Naruto."

He then turns towards Sasuke and instructs.

"Sasuke! Zabuza has an accomplice this time. He is almost the same age as you. You will occupy him while I deal with Zabuza."

"Yes, Sensei!" Sasuke nods his head in affirmation.

Naruto drops his log and stops in front of Kakashi.

"But Sensei! I want to fight too. I am so bored these few days." Naruto complains.

"No! Prioritize the safety of the bridge builder. The mission is to protect the bridge builder, not to fight the assailant." Kakashi rebukes him.

"Yes, Sensei!" Naruto depressingly drops his head.

Whoosh… whoosh…

Two shadows appear on one of the pillars of the bridge. Naruto and the team raise their head as their eyes meet.

Swish… swish… swish…

Zabuza quickly makes some hand signs.

'Water Release: Hiding in the Mist Technique"

The air fills with thick mist and engulfs the bridge and the surrounding workers.

Aah…

"What's this?"

Tazuna and the worker panics at this scene.

"Please stay calm and follow me."

Sakura calms them down and slowly leads them away from the battle.

Whoosh…

Zabuza reappears behind the bridge builder and swings his massive blade to cleave Tazuna's head.

"Ninja Art: Silent Assassination"

Clang…

A kunai blocks the sword, and Kakashi appears in front of Zabuza.

"Not so fast, Zabuza!"

Clang…

Kakashi parries the attack and faces Zabuza.

Swoosh…

Zabuza swings his blade and puts it on his shoulder.

"Kakashi Hatake! Last time I wasn't prepared for you… but this time, I have made all the necessary arrangements."

Swish… swish…

Zabuza makes some hand signs.

"Sharingan"

Kakashi activates his Sharingan and copies Zabuza's hand signs.

"Water Release: Water Dragon Bullet Technique"

"Water Release: Water Dragon Bullet Technique"

Both of them release their jutsu simultaneously as the jutsu collides with each other and cancels out.

A drizzle of water shrouds them as Zabuza smirks.

"Water Release: Hiding in the Drizzle Technique"

Whoosh…

Zabuza's body vanishes in water vapors as he completely conceals his presence.

"This technique… don't tell me it is Hozuki clan's signature technique."

Kakashi's eyes widen in shock momentarily.

"I see." He calms down and looks around.

"This technique was developed by the second Mizukage during the Second Shinobi War to deal with the members of the Uchiha clan.

So, the rumors were true, you were indeed a part of the New Mist Swordsman created by the Late Elder of Kiri."

Zabuza ignores Kakashi and silently travels towards the bridge builder to assassinate him.

'I don't have any confidence to win a fight against the Copy Ninja Kakashi Hatake. I can only seek this window of opportunity to silently assassinate the target and escape. There is no need to sacrifice my life for this mission.'

Hmm…

Naruto senses something amiss while protecting the bridge builder. He senses a strong killing intent directed towards the bridge builder.

Recently, as his mastery over Nine-tails chakra increased; he is faintly able to sense strong emotions around him.

Since he is in the vicinity of the bridge builder, he sensed the killing intent.

"Enemy attack!"

Naruto warns Sakura and makes some hand signs.

"Wind Release: Great Wind Breakthrough Sweep"

BOOM…

He inhales a large amount of air and expels it outwards in a spherical form, blowing everything around him.

Whoosh…

The jutsu blows away the mist in the surrounding area and reveals the figure of Zabuza to Naruto.

"You are…"

Naruto recognizes the person who is in front of him.

"You were supposed to be dead? How are you still alive?"

Naruto has a serious expression on his face as he questions Zabuza.

"…"

Sakura, Kakashi, and Zabuza silently stare at Naruto.

"Anyway, since you are alive. I won't allow you to harm Tazuna-san."

Swish…

Naruto pulls a kunai from his holster and takes a stance.

Slam…

Zabuza slams his giant blade on the ground and confronts Naruto.

"Kid! If you want to live a little longer and cherish your life, then get out of my way or else…"

Whoosh…

Zabuza disappears from his position and reappears in front of Naruto and swings his Executioner's blade.

"DIE!!"


Check out my patreon and read some advance chapters
www.patreon.com/ForgottenLife

77