Chapter 28: I Apologized?
906 12 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had just pulled out my all-in gambit, by saying the most over the top apology I could. I said that I will not return, so, they should probably stop me, if my thought process was right. And this will lead to the situation being diffused, which was the intended outcome. 

Though this is not guaranteed success, hence why I called it a gamble, for there is also the chance that they just me let go and be forced to keep up my promise. Whilst my job here is done, I connected with most of the main cast of the original work as was planned. I was still enjoying my time here, so it would be a shame if this results in me having to return home early.

 So, I may be acting rash doing this, but this has worked in the past, well, past life. As expected this left both adults dumbfounded, a certain angel had also quieted down as she gazed upon the situation with curiosity in her eyes.

I begin to walk away while my head was looking down. I pass them both as I walk towards the exit

Seconds become like minutes as I walk towards the door

As I neared I started having doubt

Did I guess wrong?

“Wait.”

‘Bingo.’ I thought as I stopped walking.

‘Pretty smart Kyousuke, although… I thought that sincerity is the best action to use against parents, or adults? Not overreacting, you know?’ A certain angel asks in a smug tone

‘Well, I wouldn’t have done this if I know that Mr. Sato was stubborn, and call it pre-emptive, It’s better to be safe than sorry. You know?’

‘Hmmm… what if they… I don’t know? Wanted to maybe talk to you about your marriage with Hotaru or Ageha?’

I proceed to inwardly sigh, being vigilant of my reactions, keeping everything calculated as I turned around

“You don’t need to apologize Kazuya-san, I am sorry.” Mr. Sato says with a gentle smile as Mrs. Shizuka stood beside him looking at me with a quizzical expression.

“Oh, please don’t, I am also in the wrong.” I respond

“I really just wanted to talk to you.” He continued as he shrugged.

Mrs. Shizuka them walks up to my and whispers to me as she puts a hand on my shoulder.

“Yup, so, no need to say something so over the top as not being friends with our daughters anymore, right, Kazuya-kun? Tactics like this might work on my husband but not me. So, best cooperate, okay?” She says in a playful tone as she moves her head away, this sent shivers down my spine

‘She saw right through you.’ Angelica says as she sits down once more on my shoulder.

Leaving me with a wink, Mrs. Shizuka saunters back to Mr. Sato’s side and whispers something to him. What she whispered looks like it made Mr. Sato sigh a breath of relief as he looks to me once more. I focused too much on Mr. Sato that I forgot to gauge Mrs. Shizuka’s reactions to my ploy

“So, back to the topic.” Mr. Sato clasps his hands as he loses the gentle smile, which was replaced by a smile that a business man wears. A mask that makes me unable to read him.

Contemplating if I really did go over the top with this one, I shrug it off thinking what’s done is done and the plan had achieved its goal of placating the situation as I walk closer towards the two adults.

“What do you want to talk about, Mr. and Mrs. Himegi?” I asked politely carefully navigating anymore landmines I might step on, in what used to be a pseudo-interrogation from them…

They look at each other and nod, I really swear they can read each other’s minds…

“There are three things, Kazuya-kun.” Mrs. Shizuka says as she raises her right hand and puts up three of her fingers. Her index, middle and ring finger…

“And what are those things? Mrs. Shizuka?” I remain calm; best remain cool when you are being grilled.

“Fingers, can’t you tell?” She teases with a cheeky smile.

I sighed, which made her smile wider as if she had achieved something.

“Well, pick one and find out.” She tilts her head towards her fingers, I looked to Mr. Sato who merely nodded…

Seeing as there will be no clue to which one is the least bad... I picked from left to right with picking the ring finger first…

“So, starting with Hotaru, huh?” She says with a smile.

“Did my choice really matter there?”

She shrugs with a slight smile on her face.

Mr.Sato suddenly cuts in as he steps forward. 

‘Did he usually have such an imposing presence?’ I thought as I looked at him.

‘Well, this is the guy that tied the knot with Shizuka, so, what did you expect?’

‘I guess?’

Now, that I think about it, as I much as I hated to admit it, she was actually correct. Remembering to keep my head in the game, I braced myself for the incoming question.

“What do you feel about Hotaru?” he says in a serious tone as his mouth smiles, but his eyes watch me intently.

This question struck like a dagger to my chest, short, concise but equally as deadly. I expected it, but even if you expect something, doesn’t mean it makes it easier to deal with. 

I contemplated if I should give a perfect answer as to dodge the chance to experience the wrath of a father, thought this was quickly cut off with a sharp look from Mrs. Shizuka, whilst she radiated a menacing aura bigger than Mr. Sato’s 

‘I had her pegged as only the mischievous parent, but she looks to be pretty terrifying…’ I thought which only was rewarded with a chuckle from Angelica.

‘Well, we are talking about their daughters here, as a potential Harem MC is-‘

‘Shut it.’ I cut her off which earned a pout from her.

Choosing to cooperate, throwing calculating expressions out the window, because doing so might just make me lose trust with both of them. I thought about Hotaru and Ageha for a second as I structured my words to be genuine as it was polite. And so, I answered honestly…

_________________________________________

Yes, it seemed immature to intimidate a eleven year old boy. But that changes when we both know that eleven year old boy is not normal. 

‘His specs are just too high.’ I thought

Shirou Kazuya, a living legend in the kendo world being put in the front page of a sports magazines, handsome face, cool alluring aura, genius level intellect, calculated movements, and guts to jump off a cliff without hesitation. 

After a few years, he will probably be stealing the hearts of girls left, right and center. And as much fun it was to tease him, I will not let my two daughters be one of them, I trust him, but I am also a bit guarded towards him. And, yes, I have teased the two with him, I am still trying to gauge his personality more. He was just too capable…

He was like the main protagonist of some isekai manga. Though I as good as he is, I have seen other people as talented as him in the people, but those people could be counted in one hand. 

Sato had just asked a question, and I looked at him intently with an inquiring gaze, though as he looked at me, his eyes seemed to twitch, or was I just imagining it. He then suddenly smiles…

“Do not worry Mr. and Mrs. HImegi, I only see Hotaru and Ageha as cute little sisters.” He smiles brightly, and as innocently as kid his age, thought this smile also had a serene look to it. I and my husband could only stare as this boy looked like he was slightly glowing, wearing the warmest and most genuine smile you could imagine

 “Thought me patting Hotaru for a bit too long might have caused a bit of misunderstanding.” He continues as he looks down in remorse as his smile slightly becomes smaller, as he shrugs and tilts his head sidewards.

“So, forgive me for that, I apologize” Kazuya looks at us both in the eye as he says that, a sincere voice adding to the weight of said apology. He then only bows slightly, but equally as respectful as his previous bow. He looked to be so innocent as if you couldn’t condemn him of anything.

Making me think ‘Is this calculated or genuine, it’s too perfect to be natural.’ I thought as I looked at Sato, he seemed to having the same thoughts. I had seen through his previous scheme of using an over the top apology to elicit us to stop him. Though, I as I looked at him closer now… He seemed to be actually sincere…

_________________________________________

I answered honestly to the best of my ability, using the tried and tested strategy of using honesty and sincerity against adults, or people in general. Because being honest builds trust, and is equally less stressful for both parties in an interaction. 

Because as convenient it is to lie, a lie is like a line of string, plus as you use more of said lies, a thread gets added to the mix, and as you use more lies to support previous ones, quickly becomes hard to keep track to each lie you have used, resulting in inconsistencies, making you lose trust. And seeing as I will be encountering both of them and their daughters in the future when the events of the game start, I would like to raise their trust of me as much as I could.

‘So, it’s better to stay as honest as you can, but white lies to me are okay. Because sometimes it’s better that some people just don’t know about certain flaws they have, because that is what makes us human, doesn’t it?’ I thought.

‘So, you are justifying your answer in your mind again with a lecture?  Are you Kyousuke?’

 I ignored her remark as I was a tad bit worried that the honesty and sincere may have not been the best course of action this time. Why you ask? Well, even after that explanation in my mind, plus, as honestly, I answered not keeping anything secret, and this was the best plan I could think off. This was negated by the sight of two adults wearing serious expressions on their faces as they looked at me.

‘May I perhaps have overdone it?’

‘Well, your answer was a bit too perfect, no. Actually your whole being as you answered was too perfect it seemed calculated.’

‘Eh? But I¬-’

‘As much as you liked to be genuine, you being who you are, all your from your tone of voice, gestures, habits and mannerisms are just too perfect. So, your sincerity became your undoing.’

I panicked as I thought about my answer. Was it too perfect? Should I have added a few imperfection? Maybe? But that defeats the purpose of being honest, doesn’t it?

 As I was diving into this hole of questions, I asked to two adults staring at me. Not letting the atmosphere return to what it was just a minute ago…

“Uhmm, did I say something wrong?” I asked.

I know that this chapter has been delayed and I am sorry hoomans. But I am having a hard time writing for some reason... BeepBoop ?

26