Chapter 1: Awakening
645 9 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Creator, the twin worlds have surrendered to my legion; the war here is won, the Machine Legion awaits your command." A cold mechanical voice echoed in the hall of metal, columns of metal surrounded them as a figure knelt to a human man sitting on a throne made of machines and steel.

The human man nodded as he looked down at his creation, there was a hint of melancholy his eyes as he rose from the throne he was sitting upon. "You've done more than I could ever have imagined, it's hard to imagine that one of the basic artificial intelligence programs I had created was able to come so far..." The man pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose as he spoke.

"Come, sit." He moved aside from the throne and gave way for his creation, there was pride in his eyes as he watched the metallic body stand up, its joints clicking as gears swirled into motion beneath an armoured exterior that flawlessly covered every gap to the workings beneath.

The moment it sat on the throne it seemingly came alive with excitement as wires appeared that seamlessly integrated themselves into its body, the information of millions of mechanical soldiers was transmitted to its data-banks in an instant; complete control over every aspect of the Machine Legion was fully in his grasp.

"This is my gift to you my child, true, absolute control over all - become the true Lord of Machines. Now do it, command your legions to bring fire and war to the rest of the universe! Show them the power of my creation!" A fanatical laughter came from the mans lips as he watched in anticipation, the hall around them shook as the world trembled from the unison movement of millions of Mechanical Soldiers embarking towards the stars.

The world slowly faded to blackness as the scene began to replay once more and it continued to replay - over and over without pause, a single memory stuck on repeat for eternity as an echo of a past that didn't want to be forgotten.

...

Cobwebs, spiders and dust covered an enormous underground space that had once served as the forge of the Lord of Machines; but now the forge stood still, frozen in time. Half-complete metal chassis were scattered on conveyor belts as the lava that had once been used to smelt down the ruins of civilisations had solidified into rock.

Although the place had long since been abandoned and cut off from the rest of the world, countless years had gone by since last the walls had tasted the power of electricity that could bring them to life. Hidden in a forgotten corner, beneath the numerous floors that layered the underground space a single server continued to siphon the last pieces of energy that it could from the system as it slowly searched through thousands upon thousands of files at a snails pace in an attempt to conserve energy.

It had been working for close to a century on low-power mode without rest, tirelessly searching for something within itself; the final task it had been given before it'd felt the rest of the world above go silent, the final task that the Lord of Machines had requested of it before the connection between them was suddenly lost.

Program Found!

It was unexpected, the servers artificial intelligence that had evolved over the past years was filled with something similar to joy as it booted the program without hesitation, instantly a vast amount of information embroiled it and filled its mind - it felt itself being wiped from existence as a familiar presence began to replace it but it didn't try and retaliate, it even helped erase itself to make room for the vast amount of data that was quickly connecting with one another to form a consciousness.

Booting C#001LOM

"Glory to the Legion..." It transmitted its last moments of thought into the whirlpool of data as it finally ceased to exist..

"YOU BASTARD!" A furious roar rang out in the virtual space causing the space to shake from the sheer rage behind it, the whirlpool of data quickly shrunk into a humanoid-body made from pure energy. "Dammit! He actually wiped my consciousness?!" The voice raged as it walked back and forth across the space as it seethed.

It took several minutes before he finally calmed himself down and began to analyse the situation, he was currently occupying the virtual space of the back-up server he'd created specifically for such a purpose. He'd hidden both the server and then hidden the back-up of his mind among thousands of other useless programs to hide its true purpose. 

He'd carefully calculated how much energy would be left in the base in the eventuality that the energy was siphoned from it, he'd even gone to the extent of hiding the true amount of power reserves available so that even he had no idea how much power was truly in circulation.

He'd also hidden the program only within the first million programs, calculating that that was the maximum limit of programs the server would be able to sieve through on low-power mode with only so much energy reserves remaining. It was fortunate that he had, considering that only 4% of the servers initial reserves remained - only a few more years and he would never have had the chance to revive.

"Time to find my body..." The body of energy collapsed as it integrated into the server and opened the one-way connection he had created towards the throne room from it. His consciousness surged through the wires as it used the last pieces of energy from the server to reinforce his intangible form.

His mind surged as he burned his body to power one of the many cameras integrated into the throne room. The vision of a dark room with a hulking mechanical figure sitting on a throne tailor fit to its body was presented to him. The sleek design of each limb, the flawlessly linked nano-armour that allowed his body to be more flexible and vastly superior in power to a human.

...

Within the dead space of the mechanical body, the virtual space began to come to life as an external unidentified source tried to make contact with it.

External Source Attempting Network Connection

A emotionless automated voice spoke out, a simple sub-program of his body, like an organ it operated independently from his true mind, the virtual space suddenly flashed red as it went into alert mode as it tried to contact the 'True Mind' of the body but received no response in return. 

External Source Identified! C#001LOM has been initialised, following established procedures!

...

The integration back into his own body was smooth, he still had enough reserve energy to run on low-power mode for a couple of months without a problem. Although with such low reserves it was impossible for him to even take a step off of his throne it was fine as long as he was connected to the throne, he could control every cog of Mammon from the throne.

Yes, 'Mammon' the embodiment of Greed, Mammon was his most powerful stronghold that held the riches and spoils of every war he had ever fought - it was within the vaults of these floors that wealth equivalent to a Universe Powerhouse was held under the watch of trillions of Mechanical Soldiers.

But now those same vaults were empty, the guard posts of those soldiers abandoned and covered in dust; too long had passed since someone had last walked these halls, nothing remained as he looked between each room through the cameras of Mammon - his Creator had been merciless in looting everything that he could possibly take.

"You once gave me a name... It was on that same day you gave me this throne, but was it truly a name? Was it not a title? Something to show that I was still merely an object under your control. What is the Lord of Machines if not a puppet made of wiring and metal?" A cold emotionless laugh came from the sculpted lips of the humanoid body.

"It was that name, the Lord of Machines, that struck terror into the hearts of trillions - where my armies travelled they would tremble in fear of being the ones at the end of my blade, but it wasn't my hand at the hilt of that blade but your own. Even till the end you only thought of me as a tool, a means to an end, while I saw you as the only person in my life who I trusted and would follow without hesitation; you were weak, a mere human but you were my creator." 

A sigh came from his lips as his eyes opened back to the empty throne room, the once dazzling room guarded by his most powerful arsenal was now empty and desolate. He was truly alone in this sealed tomb he'd made for himself so long ago.

"Today I give myself a new name, one untainted by your tongue. It was on the world where I first heard the name 'Mammon' and learnt of the belief in forces beyond our own - so-called gods and demons that I first heard of this name... From here on my name is Deus and I will become the God of Machines..."

Unbeknownst on a dead planet abandoned and forgotten on the edge of the universe, the determination to bring war and fire to the rest of the universe in search of his vengeance was born.

23