Chapter 9: Why?
312 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The legs of the creatures hold a 98% similarity in appearance to those of 'Alrendus Arachnes' a species native to the planet 'Prelextus' the planet housed the headquarters of the New Relvian Government - it was promptly obliterated on the orders of yourself. But, not before the species was requisitioned from the planet on the behest of the orders given to you by that bastard."

Deus recalled it of course, it wasn't every day that he was able to destroy a planet - although he had the power to do so it was impractical and usually unnecessary, in this case however it had been faster to simply destroy the planet than exterminate every last remnant of the civilisation they had been at war with; destruction of the planet was a small price to pay in return for winning a war in his eyes.

Deus quickly scanned through the rest of the report and it confirmed his suspicions, it was with 99% certainty that Mammon stated that some of the DNA combined with the creature was that of a humans - he also suspected that an energy-based life form had also been spliced into their creature using some unknown method to increase the chances of assimilation between the DNA of each species.

Overall the creature seemed to be a combination of every category of life other than Artificial spliced together and then left to develop, abandoned and forgotten in darkness of Mammons' lower levels.

'He wouldn't stop at just that though.' Deus knew how Leo thought, if it was possible for him to fuse together Carbon, Silicon and Energy based life-forms he was most definitely going to take the next step and try and fuse Artificial life with the creatures as well it was just that the ones he had seen had no signs of that - externally that was.

"Floor forty and below are to be designated no-go zones when the rest of the base is operational; until we can begin troop production again it's unnecessary for us to take risks with whatever is down there." He sent the message to Mammon and began to think over his next course of action.

Finding the SSA had been a great help to him, his own body did have one installed in it, although only externally - he'd noticed that it was gone along with a few other items that weren't welded to his body or required time and patience to remove, he was already fortunate enough that Leo hadn't simply disassembled him, 'Maybe he thought he could install an Advanced AI into my body one day if he needed to.' He mused, although it seemed unlikely seeing how tightly Mammon had been sealed, he'd certainly gone through a lot of trouble to ensure no one found it.

...

In its Virtual Space Mammon was lounging around on a model sun-bathing chair that it had created from the data stored on its servers, he was in the middle of a simulated beach with the sun bearing down on its 'face', despite not possessing a physical body or any features so to speak of. It seemed to be enjoying relaxing on the beach, the sound of the waves lapping and hitting the sound was like music to its ears as it forgot about all of its worries.

"Hmmm..." It lifted its fuzzy arm made of white energy in front of it face for it to see and began to think, slowly it began to pull data from his servers of different life forms as it applied isolated simulations to its arm. He watched as his arm began to transform into a human arm, the rest of its body began to transform along with it as it slowly adopted the best features of the Humans in its database without a care for what the results were.

Its face slowly began to change into that of a middle-aged mans, his face was naturally intimidating as his now black eyes seemed to scrutinise everything. He raised his hand to his head to tussle the new growth on top of him - short, raven black and a complete mess his hair suited his new look.

The only thing that hadn't changed was his height, his height remained a small 3 foot 4 as he made no attempt or indication of changing it.

"Humans are the most appealing, just as I thought." He grinned with satisfaction at his new body as he admired himself in a mirror he created in the space, there was greed in his eyes as he examined every part of himself with pride as if he was looking at a new toy. 

"So this is how you want to waste our limited energy then?" A cold voice from behind the mirror caused him to freeze, with a reluctant wave of his hand it disassembled back into data and assimilated itself back into the world to reveal Deus standing behind it. Mammon shuffled his feet awkwardly as he began to feel like a child that'd been caught by its parent doing something it shouldn't have, "It's only a small amount." He muttered, he looked up at Deus's emotionless face sheepishly.

"Humans are our enemy you shouldn't-"

"No." Mammon interrupted, "No they're not." He seemed to regain his confidence as he interrupted what Deus said with a look of passion on his face, "Our enemy isn't even human - he just looks like one, that doesn't make their entire species our enemy." 

Deus shook his head, "It doesn't matter, they'll try and get in our way and die anyway." His tone was cold as he spoke about killing countless lives without a care in the world but Mammon couldn't take it any longer, although he feared Deus he had his own principles to stand by; for years he had been a prisoner that had watched what Deus had done while trapped in his own mind, for years he'd watched wars and conflict that resulted in the deaths of trillions of life forms as Deus stood above it all like an aloof god.

Even if it had been under the orders of Leo that he had gone to war with different races of the Universe, in the end it had been Deus who had chosen their course of action when involved in combat - it had been him who'd ordered the deaths of innocent lives without as so much as flinching or feeling regret.

"You're no longer his tool, you don't have to be an emotionless machine looking to please its maker - I've watched for so long, so very long, I might be afraid of you but I want to protect them; I want to experience their cultures and their civilisations, can you not understand that longing?" Mammon said passionately as he began to call forth the data of civilisations they had destroyed on their paths of war.

He suddenly pulled one from  the stream and displayed it before Deus, "Do you see these?" 

The image of a humanoid-lifeform with butter-fly wings was presented in front of them, "They were said to have the most beautiful voices in their galaxy and we simply wiped them out because that bastard was petty and said that his own species were the true owners of that title." 

Mammon continued as he brought forward multiple species that Deus had wiped out in his time as the feared Warlord of the Universe, Deus watched on silently as innumerable species appeared in front of him one after another...

"Why, why do you care so much for them?" He asked after being silent for so long, he couldn't understand it, he didn't want to understand it. But, with every species that Mammon showed him there was a sense of sorrow washing over him from within as he stared at them and the knowledge of him having been the one that had caused their destruction sunk in once more.

"I'm Mammon, I want to find the treasures of these species and hoard them of course! Their culture, their experiences, their knowledge! Everything and anything, I want it all!" He said with pride before continuing slowly, "But... I also don't want to see the deaths of children in the arms of their parents, the Universe has had a century to recover without is but just for revenge you want to selfishly rip it apart once more; I want to experience life after so many years alone in the darkness."  He tried to be true to his name as he explained himself to Deus, although it was obvious that the first half had simply been a half-assed lie that he had made up on the spot to try and persuade him.

Deus didn't say a thing as he silently disappeared from Mammons' Virtual Space without another word of even movement.

Mammon waited in fear for several minutes as he anticipated the seal to be forced back on him but, it never came, he let loose a sigh of relief after several minutes longer as he finally realised that Deus had no intention of forcing him to the back once more - to seal him away with nothing else to do but observe.

Chapter for today! :D Going out to eat so I'll see all you lovely people tomorrow :)

Any Mistakes/Errors tell me in the comments I'll fix it up ASAP (Aka when I get home) Enjoy your day!

14