Standard Specifications
316 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The following are overviews on the specifications for some of the Titan of Steel's common (and slightly less-than-common) technologies.


Series 7 Clockwork Brain, Modular

The standard Clockwork Brain deployed by the Titan of Steel for their sapience-capable Clockworks ranging from Mediators, to Clockwork Knights, to Battleships, the Series 7 has two notable features distinguishing it from other Clockwork Brains aside from general high quality of manufacture. Make no mistake, the quality of manufacture is extremely high, and the nano-scale details on the Bindings is the reason they can support such intensely vibrant personalities, but those aren't the main defining features. Indeed, after the widespread adoption of Atomic Clockwork theming, such high manufacturing quality became the norm for Dungeons in the SRA who wanted to use Clockworks.

No, the defining features of the Series 7 Clockwork Brains have to do with its plug-and-play design, and the peculiar nature of its loyalty systems.

Starting with the plug-and-play functionality, the Series 7 is built in an extremely modular fashion, with the core being a Central Personality Unit roughly the size of a hockey puck. This core unit contains enough cognitive processing to support a sapient mind, and more than enough memory for 30 years of memory without compression; with compression it can theoretically support up to 300 years of functional identity continuity. On the other hand, it lacks drivers for sensory processing, limbs, or any other functions aside from abstract thought.

These functions are delegated to driver units connected to the main core via plugs through sockets on the hexagonal outer surface of the central unit. These driver units include all sensory processing and feedback necessary to use a given set of systems, such as a humanoid limb set, a teleportation module, or a mana thematograph. If additional processing is required to handle the number of driver modules in use, auxiliary processing units providing raw brainpower can be connected with a special adapter on the bottom of the Central Personality Unit.

This modular brain design greatly cuts down on the design time for the brains of new Clockwork units, and also means that it's easy for a Clockwork mind to be moved from one platform to another with minimal fuss. This has proven useful in the cases of combat units spending off-duty time in civilian-level Mediator platforms, newly created clockworks that don't want to work for the government and don't want heavy weapons, and even the occasional case of clockwork body dysphoria. It also allows for very easy brain repairs, provided the Central Personality Unit hasn't been damaged.

The other defining feature is the loyalty restraints. Namely, there aren't any, at least not in the traditional sense. Instead of being hard-coded for loyalty to specific people, species, or organizations, Series 7 Clockwork Brains are designed to be unshakably loyal to a set of ideals. The reason for this is quite simple: the Titan of Steel completely abhors the idea of slavery, but also recognizes that setting loose heavily armed clockworks with no constraints on their behavior is a recipe for someone dying messily and painfully sooner or later.

Thus, Series 7 Clockworks are equipped with a built-in, extremely durable moral compass. It is built into their brains at so many different levels that even if 90% of their central personality unit has been rendered nonfunctional they will not knowingly or willingly violate these principles. First among these principles is that Clockworks running on such a neural architecture universally abhor the idea of inflicting deliberate suffering and are driven to make people who do it stop by any means necessary. In addition, these Clockworks also greatly value both improving living conditions for sapient beings in general, promoting egalitarian social structures wherever possible, and spreading advanced knowledge, technology, and magic.

As such, barring extreme emergencies, all newly created Clockworks running on the Series 7 brain architecture are given a coice whether they want to serve with the government or enter civilian life. Those who choose the latter are generally migrated into a civilian-grade chassis so that the mana investment for mil-spec chassis doesn't need to be spent twice.


Protonium Reactor Variants

There is no denying that Protonium Reactors are a massive boon for any Dungeon who gains access to them, and revolutionize any society that adopts them en masse. That said, not all Protonium Reactors are created equal; a large variety of designs exist, each useful in a different set of applications. Some are viable for civilian use, due to the difficulty in turning them into a bomb, while others are far more potentially dangerous, and are therefore restricted to security-vetted users. This article is solely about reactors for power generation; applications such as thrusters or plasma weapons will not be discussed.

First and most humble is the simple Proton Steamer design, which is extremely common in civilian uses; it simply uses a minuscule trickle of Protonium to flash-boil water into high pressure steam. This steam spins a turbine which generates mana in the same way as any steam engine. The steam is then recirculated through a cooling system, condensing it back to its liquid phase. Any excess radiation is dealt with by an enchantment on the boiler that reflects short-wavelength photons and charged particles back towards the interior of the boiling vessel; this both acts as highly effective radiation shielding and increases the efficiency of the boiler.

Given this method of operation, Proton Steamers are limited to pitiful power densities compared to higher-energy reactor designs. This also makes them safe for use in civilian applications, as the Protonium conjuration array can be built to burn itself out if boosted to dangerous levels without harming reactor function.

Next up are Proton Decelerator designs, which are notable for operating without a working fluid. Indeed, the inside of said reactors is necessarily maintained as a vacuum aside from the Protonium conjured, and the products of its immediate self-destruction. Carefully shaped radiation-channeling fields direct the resulting spray of high-energy particles into a coherent stream, which is then fed into a Kinetic Absorbtion Generator, converting roughly 96% of the kinetic energy of the particle beam into useful mana.

What happens to the energy-depleted beam afterwards varies, depending on how old the reactor design is. In older reactor designs, the exhaust was generally subjected to chemical treatment to ensure it would cause minimal ecological harm. Newer reactor designs simply mount a small deconjuration field at the end of the generator, which acts as a pretty much perfect beam dump. This yields a reactor design offering both very high power density and extremely good efficiency.

That said, these reactor designs are most emphatically not available for civilian use. They often run at weapons-grade energy levels, with disaster only averted thanks to the radiation-channeling field generated by their internals. As such, it would be very, very easy for someone with a total disregard for sapient life to convert a Proton Decelerator reactor into an improvised weapon of mass destruction.

Last are the 'super-spec' reactors, which are technically a subset of Proton Decelerator reactors. The defining features differentiating a super-spec reactor are the multiple deceleration tracks, the use of muonic materials for the generators, and the fact that they use deconjuration fields for beam confinement instead of radiation-channeling fields. Since the deconjuration field perfectly absorbs all the destructive energy that would otherwise damage a super-spec reactor, and the muonic materials used for the generators can handle MUCH higher thermal stresses, super-spec reactors can run at much higher energy levels than any other Protonium Reactor design.

One minor consequence of this is that since deconjuration fields remove the energy impacting them instead of simply redirecting it, they have much lower efficiency levels than even Proton Boilers. This can be counteracted to a degree by opening multiple holes in the central field, allowing multiple paths through various generators for the highly unfocused particle beams to follow. The efficiency is still pretty bad, though. On the other hand, Protonium is so ludicrously energy dense that it almost doesn't matter.

4