9. Ladies-in-Waiting
65 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After leaving Catherine and Lucas in the room, Catherine sat beside the bed where Lucas is sleeping. Lucas's face was drained of color and he looked rather skinny after the engagement party.

"Does he even eat?" Catherine murmured to herself as she put her hand in his forehead and close her eyes. As soon as Catherine shut her eyes, a light enveloped Lucas that shines like the sun. The light entered Lucas's body, returning color to his lovely face, making him look better and well. Catherine smiled, she knew she did a great job nursing him back to health.

"My elements do come handy at a time like this." Catherine yawned, after sharing her energy with Lucas she feels tired and sleepy. To share her energy she used one of her elements to channel it.

Energy plays a big role in enchanters and enchantresses. They use energy to be able to manipulate their elements into their own will and utilize it for their benefit. The energy that they used to manipulate the elements will return to their bodies afterward so using her elements is one thing but sharing her energy is a different story. When enchanters and enchantresses share their energy, it takes half of it, no matter how much effect it will have on the person, but their energy will be restored after a day of rest.

Catherine stood up and headed back to her room. She was greeted by Ria and Josephine who examined her when she arrived.

"What happened?" Ria asked as she held Catherine's arms.

"You're only half." Catherine knew that they would notice that her energy has been depleted so she contemplated whether to go back or not but she also knew that these two would come running to Lucas' chambers if she did not return and she did not want to disturb his sleep.

"Did you?" Josephine did not finish her question because Catherine smiled at them. "I'm fine. I just need to rest."

"Why did you share your energy?" Ria questioned but she was answered by silence because Catherine is already asleep in her bed. Ria sighed and covered Catherine with a blanket while Josephine turned the lights off.

"Do you think she?" Ria asks but Josephine shook her head as they exit the princess' chambers.

"Let's not assume things." With what Josephine said, they went to their separate rooms.

 

The next day, Catherine is having her tea time with Josephine, Ria, and the duo. 

"Your Highness, you shouldn't let us have tea with us. It is not right." Ellie said.

"It is fine." Catherine waved her hand dismissing what Ellie said. 

"You're too kind, Your Highness." Maria sighed that made Catherine and the rest laugh. In their kingdom, it did not matter what kind of family someone came from, as long as someone proves them worthy of trust, it was okay. 

"Oh next time, we should have a picnic!" Catherine suggested, Maria and Ellie started mentioning places that would be great for an outdoor picnic, when two ladies entered the princess' chambers.

"Good day, Your Highness. I am Evelyn Thalia of House Maraboli. The first daughter of Steve and Rose Maraboli."

"I am Elizabeth Caitlin of House Lokos. The first and only daughter of Allan and Selene Lokos."

"We are honored to serve Her Highness as her ladies-in-waiting." The two ladies said in unison as they curtsied before Catherine. Ellie and Maria cleaned the table and stood beside Josephine and Ria who greeted the ladies.

"I am more honored to be served by two elegant ladies. It is my pleasure is to be your acquaintance. Come join me." Catherine smiled and motioned for Maria and Ellie to bring another set of teacups for her ladies-in-waiting. Catherine examined the two ladies who were sitting in front of her. She knew that Thalia wouldn't be a problem with her aloof and quiet personality but she was wary of Caitlin who was always with Clementine.

"Your Highness, I will also be your tutor as per His Majesty's order," Thalia stated. She thanked Maria who poured her tea and sipped on it. 

"INSOLENT FOOL!" Caitlin slapped Ellie who poured a little bit too much of tea but not enough to spill it. Ellie fell in fear as she held onto her face that was red from the slap, with tears threatening to fall at any moment. The ladies in the room stood frozen at what they witnessed but Catherine immediately move and helped Ellie to stand up. Maria who got back in her senses helped Catherine. 

"Take her," Catherine whispered in Maria who was holding Ellie that was trembling. They were about to leave when a lady in the door spoke with her servant who was beside her.

"Your Highness, I think you should punish the servant who wronged Lady Caitlin, instead of letting her leave." 

"Lady Clementine, this young girl was slapped in front of me, who is her superior. From my perspective, this lad did not do anything wrong. She simply poured too much of tea but it did not spill that cause Lady Caitlin any inconvenience." Catherine countered and gestured for the two to leave.

"Your Highness, I am simply stating that you should let these servants know that you are superior to them and not some friends or maybe this is one of your kingdom's culture that we don't know of," Clementine walked towards the princess and touched her silver hair. Catherine looked at her firmly as Clementine continue speaking.

"But let me let you that is not the way of this kingdom. When a noble is siding with a mere servant for striking a noble of status, that noble can be stripped off their title or they could just punish the servant altogether." Clementine shrugged but when Ellie heard what she said, Ellie clung to Cathrine's dress in her knees with tears in her eyes.

"Your Highness, please punish me!" Ellie begged with a trembling voice. She did not want to put Catherine in a tight spot especially after Catherine showed her kindness like no other.

"See, even your servant insists. Bring me the whip," Clementine ordered and her servant pulled out a long leathered black whip that made Ellie who was trembling to quiver in fear.

"Since I was the one who told you about this, I shall perform the act as well, as an additional lesson from me." Clementine smiled and flick her finger. Her servant pulled Ellie and raised her skirt up to her knees.

"Stop this!" Ria shouted. "What do you think you're doing in Her Highness chambers? To punish a servant in front of the princess is distasteful and disrespectful." 

"I am simply trying to teach Her Highness of the ways in this kingdom." Clementine reasoned and smiled at Ria. 

"It's okay, Your Highness." Ellie smiled with tears in her eyes as Clementine's servant strike her thrice with the whip. Ellie bit her lower lip so that no scream can escape from her mouth. Catherine snatched the whip from the servant and locked her eyes at Clementine.

"This person is mine so I will be the one to punish her as I see fit. Lady Clementine, you do not get the right to decide for me." Catherine slowly walked towards Clementine who stood frozen in her position. Catherine moved closely to Clementine's face filled with disbelief.

"You might be forgetting, but I am your soon to be Queen and you are merely a subject. Now, leave." Catherine coldly said and turned her back on Clementine who exited the room with her servant. Caitlin remained surprised by what happened, she never thought that Catherine has that side of her where she can make Clementine obey.

"Are you okay? I'm sorry." Catherine helped Ellie sat on the chair. She wiped Ellie's cheeks that were stained with tears.

"I'm okay, Your Highness." Catherine sighed feeling tired and sleepy. She did not get the right rest and Clementine caused a scene. 

"Ria, get Ellie treated please." She sat on her bed, absorbing everything that has happened. It was too early for such a commotion to happen. She thought about Lucas who was always dealing with this kind of thing. 

'No wonder he got sick.' 

"Josephine, would you mind checking on His Majesty? If he's doing well. Also, please tell him to take his medicine regularly." 

"Yes, Your Highness," Josephine answered. 

"Ah wait no," Catherine suddenly got up from her seat. "I will be the one visiting him." 


"YOUR HIGHNESS?!" Konnor screamed as soon as she saw the princess in front of Lucas' chambers.

"Good day to you too, Sir Konnor. How is His Majesty doing?" Catherine chuckled at Konnor's reaction to see her.

"He is still sleeping, Your Highness." Konnor opened the door for Catherine to enter. Last night she wasn't able to clearly see his room because of the commotion, so she scanned the room of Lucas. It was a simple big room with no unnecessary furniture. It was rather empty. With only a bed with a bedside table to put the lamp on, an office desk with a lot of messy papers on it, and the untouched chair beside the bed where she sat last night, one wouldn't be able to tell if this room was a king's or a servant's.

When Catherine got in, Konnor left the room and made sure that no servants or anyone would come to disturb the two of them. Catherine rested on the chair beside the bed and stare at Lucas's face.

"Look at your innocent face. No wonder ladies fall for it." Catherine started talking knowing that the king is fast asleep. She reached for his hair and lightly stroke it.

"Why is your hair even so soft?!" She continues to stroke Lucas' hair and stared at his face.

"Tsk, I thought your people were scared of you. That doesn't seem to be the case. They were rather smitten by you. I just wanted to live a free life and be a freeloader of my brother when he turned king and do anything I want." She twirls her fingers in the locks of the hair of Lucas. 

"So I was really surprised when my father suddenly announced that I had a betrothed in another kingdom. AND I had to leave my family behind." Catherine removed her hand from Lucas' hair and rested her head on the bed with her arms cross together making a pillow for her head to slump in.

"Anyway, I still have fun." Catherine drifted to her sleep, not remembering that she's in a different room. All the events that happened since last night up to Clementine's sudden visit have made her really exhausted.

Lucas opened his eyes to see Catherine who was slouching beside his bed, sleeping soundly. He sat up and caress Catherine's white cheeks. 

"It's great to know that you're at least having fun." Lucas scooped her in his arms and put her in the bed. He lay down beside her and study her face. Lucas traces down her eyebrows down to her nose. He wondered how this kind of woman is allowed to stay by his side. He tucked her hair that fell on her face and caresses her face again. 

"You seem to be very comfortable in my bed." Lucas chuckled at what he said, knowing that Catherine is fast asleep.

"Hmmm." Catherin moves closer to Lucas and put her arm over his chest. 

"You made the first move." Lucas smiled and pulled Catherine into an embrace. He closed his eyes and let the warmth envelop them together. 

Outside the room, Konnor is blocking the door from the people who will try to come into the room.

"What are you doing?" Raiden asked when he saw Konnor standing still in front of the door. "Are you blind? I'm standing guard. Now shoo, don't disturb His Majesty." Konnor pushed Raiden.

"I have something to report," Raiden said and pulled Konnor out of the way. 

"Do it later!" Konnor pleaded and tried to pull Raiden but Raiden was much stronger than Konnor so he was able to open the door. The two stood still at the scene that greeted them. Lucas was hugging Catherine as the two sleep soundly in each other's arms. Konnor pulled Raiden who was too shocked to move out of the room.

"I told you." Konnor tsked and shooed Raiden who still can't believe what he witnessed.

3