10. Visit Outside the Palace
54 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Catherine opened her eyes to see what was the heavy thing wrapped in her waist. She almost screamed when she saw Lucas sleeping face that was close to her own. Catherine breathe in and out and tried to think rationally. 

'Nothing must've happened right? What am I even doing here? When did he wake up to put me in bed?'

She slowly lifts Lucas's arms and she slowly removes herself from the bed. Catherine took one glance at Lucas's sleeping face and wondered if he really is sleeping. She scrunched her eyebrows, leaned forward and waved her hand in front of his face. When she saw no reactions, she breathes in relief, picked up, and her shoes and tiptoed to exit the room.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" She screamed at Konnor who was sleeping beside the door, he abruptly got up and saluted to Catherine. When Catherine realized that she just screamed, she covered Konnor's mouth and pulled him to sides, terrified that Lucas might wake up.

"Your Highness, why are outside? You should continue to sleep. It's not even dawn yet." Konnor said like it was nothing and yawned. Catherine became red as a tomato, remembering what happened just a few minutes ago. She even turned redder when she realized that Konnor saw them sleeping together to say such a thing.

"I'm going back to my chambers." Catherine looked down so that Konnor will not see her face and rushed down to her chambers. Since her chambers are weirdly close to Lucas' chambers, she did not have a difficult time, trying to conceal herself from the servants because she memorized the hallway too much, she could walk there even with her eyes close.

Catherine successfully returned to her chambers without anyone noticing her. She slumped to her enormous bed, feeling relieved that she was able to return without a scratch. She heard the faintest of a knock in her window and saw the fairy she took back from Faalum Lake.

"Where have you been?" Catherine opened the window and the small creature snuggled her face to Catherine's cheeks.

"I want to go home! Go home!" The fairy squealed and rested on Catherine's shoulder. 

"I think so too. You should not be wandering in places like this." Catherine put the fairy in a basket and went to the garden in front of her chambers. It was still too early in the morning and no one was still outside. Catherine thought that it would be the best time to send the fairy back home. She settled on the rose bushes and gathered some stems from the bushes. She moved her hands past the stems and it glowed like the starlight. After the light disappeared the stems turned into a small carriage that would fit the fairy. She urged the fairy to go inside, but the fairy flew to her cheeks and kissed it.

"I won't forget! I won't!" The fairy vowed and went into the carriage. Catherine dug a small hole in the soil, big enough to fit the carriage. She buried it and placed her hand on the soil. 

"ad fontes" 

The ground shined and slightly shook making a trail of where the carriage will go but as the carriage moves further the trail disappeared with the light that glowed. Catherine sighed, she thought at least the fairy was able to find its way back home. She stood up and brushed her dress that might have stained with soil from digging. She moved a few steps back to her chambers but she took one glance at the direction of where the carriage is heading to find nothing but the darkness along with the whispers of the trees. The light she placed, just a moment ago, completely vanished into thin air.

This time, Catherine walked back to her chambers without looking back. She missed home more than anything in this world. It's been almost a month since she first came here but now she feels more distant to this place. She missed her parents and her brother. She just wants to go back to the time where she was always with them, regretting the time when she did not spend time with her family. She missed her life where she did not have to choose between the status of one and the other. She missed the life where she did not have to act all elegant and noble. She missed the time when she can be who she truly is.

Catherine felt like her tears would escape from her eyes so she shook her head and lightly tapped her face. 

"This is not the time for me to walk down memory lane. I will be fine, I have a lot of time to see my family. There is still my brother's wedding! THAT'S RIGHT!"

Catherine returned to her sleep to fully recover her energy.


"Your Highness, wake up."

"Your Highness."

"Your Highness, there is a letter from your family." Upon hearing what Josephine said, Catherine jumped from her bed in excitement. She immediately took the cream envelope from Josephine's hands and sat on her bed. Ria handed her a small knife meant to open envelopes. Catherine took a deep breath before opening the letter.

To my dearest daughter,

How have you been? Have you made new friends from the kingdom? Remember not to let your temper get the best of you. I know that you will be doing a fine job as the queen of that kingdom. I believe in you I know that we can just communicate through our own means but writing to you just feels different. Also, the people over there might get suspicious as to why your family is not writing you any letters. 

Your brother will be getting married next month, the same date as his coronation. We decided to move his coronation because he wanted his wedding to be the same day as his coronation. Your brother's wedding was supposed to be in two months but he suddenly decided that he wants to marry the love of his life as soon as possible. And the lucky girl is Airis! How magnificent is that? With that said, I want to invite you to his coronation and wedding. I'm sure he also wants you to be present on his important day. 

I am hoping to see you next month. Please, don't forget to conceal your elements. Do not try to get involved in human affairs especially with your overwhelming sense of justice. You know by heart what will happen to you when humans get involved in your affairs. 

Take care always, my daughter.

Until we meet again,

Your Mother

After reading the letter, Catherine looked at Josephine and Ria with tears in her eyes. At that moment, she really wanted to go back home. Ria rushed to her side and enveloped her into a warm embrace. After a moment passed, Ria released Catherine and wiped her tears.

"My brother's getting married." 

Ria felt frozen to her seat for a moment but eventually got her senses back. She smiled at Catherine and she continues to wipe Catherine's tears.

"This is good news, Your Highness. You should not be shedding tears." Ria consoled Catherine until she camled down.

"I need to buy gifts!" Catherine exlaimed and stood up. She made her way to the closet and chose the simplest outfit she could find.

"Your Highness, you will be needing escorts. I shall go to His Majesty and ask him for some guards to accomany you." Josephine said and was about to walk out the door when Catherine stopped her.

"There is no need. I will be buyung gifts as a commoner." Catherine stroke her hair from top to bottom and it changed it's color into brown. If she could, she would also change the color of her eyes, but her powers are not of thag level yet. She changed into the dress she chose which was a light green long sleeve with a little bit of lace. Josephine tied her hair in a high ponytail and they set out.


"It's been so long since I left the palace!" Catherine breath in the air in the town that was bustling with a lot of people. This day was the festival of the irea. Its a long week festival where commoners get together to have fun. There were shows and a lot of food stalls in the market.

Catherine, Ria, and Josephine went to the town without Lucas knowing. They went to different stores searching for the perfect gift to give to Catherine's brother. After sometime of searching, they were able to pick the best gift to present. They went to the main plaza were people were dancing and singing. Catherine got intrigued and joined the crowd.

"Come, Ria." She pulled Ria into the middle and dance to their heart's content. A small girl held Catherine's hand and they formed a cirle. Jumping and leaping, while dancing to the music. Catherine was having the time of her life, laughing and forgetting all her worries. The crowd started making pairs and started dancing joyfully. A yellow haired man in a mask joined Catherine and started dancing. Catherine let put a laugh and join the man dancing. The crowd laugh and continue to play music as they twist and turn to the rhythm of the music playing. 

Catherine looked at the man, she was dancing with and was surprised to see golden eyes that resemble that of Lucas'.

"Lucas?" Catherine whispered, she shook her head, thinking that surely he was not the only one with golden and eyes. The thought ruined her mood for dancing so she left the crowd and returned to Jospehine who was closely watching them dance.

"Where's Ria?" Jospehine pointed at the girl who was comfortably laughing with the children. Catherine smiled and made their way towards Ria. When Ria saw them, she bid goodbye to the children and continue to take a look at the town. 

3