14. A Change of Plans
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hi!"

Catherine peeked at the door in the king's office and smiled. It became one of her daily morning routines to visit Lucas' office without any prior notice, in an attempt to get close to the king. Because of a few 'incidents' here and there, since her arrival in the kingdom, and some rumors going around about the king, she decided that her pride is the problem. What if her opinions never matter? (Refer to chapter 3) So what, if she has to visit the king every day just to maintain their relationship and make him not forget her face and existence. At least, she would still be alive.

After the life-and-death, she encountered, with the beast-like-human, she decided that living the best of her life will be her goal starting that day, and to fully execute her plan, she needed the king by her side. To do that she needed Lucas to be as close to her as possible and she was sure that love was not in the choices, so she decided to settle for the role of being his partner. Life partner.

"What are you doing here? You seem to enjoy visiting my office, unannounced." Lucas said and removed the glasses he uses when checking his paperwork. Konnor smiled at the princess and he was happy that Catherine has the initiative to visit the king.

"Well, as you said, I'm visiting." Catherine gave him a mischievous smile and walked around the office, checking Lucas' collection of books. "You should continue with your work. I won't bother you."

Lucas shook his head and put on his glasses again. He gestured for Konnor to come close to him. He whispered some words and Konnor exited the room. Catherine continues to check on the books displayed on the shelves when a certain book caught her attention.

"What is the-"

"Have some tea, Your Highness," Konnor said, returning to the office, cutting the princess of her question. He put down the tray of tea set and some canapé for the princess. Catherine took the book in her hand and proceeded to the chair in the king's office. She took a bite of some puff pastry with fruits on top and sipped her tea before asking Lucas about the book. The book was in leather covering with a gold layer for the title.

"The Magical Realm"

Catherine raised the book for Lucas to see and raised one of her eyebrows.

"I did not know you like this kind of book." Catherine teased Lucas that made him look her way. He saw the book that she was holding and tried to remember where the book was from. After some thinking, Lucas ignored her remark and continue with his work.

"Are done preparing for this evening? What is the color of your gown?" Lucas asked as he looked at the papers in his desk. Catherine opened the book in her hands, thinking that it was some kind of love story novel, only to find something completely different from her expectations.

"Princess!"

"Princess!"

"Cath!"

"Athy!"

"Catherine!"

Catherine looked at Lucas with a surprising look. She got to immersed in the book that she did not even hear him call her. She cleared her throat and smiled at him.

"That's the first time you called my name!" Catherine exclaimed making Lucas shook his head. "What did you say?"

"His Majesty was asking what color will you be wearing tonight for the party of Lady Clementine," Konnor said with a smile on his face.

"Ah, that. Uh, Elle and Maria are responsible for my dress so I don't really know." Catherine made a nervous laugh. She was not that particular about the color of her dress or what design it will be, as long as it's appropriate, whatever it is, is okay. Also, Catherine trusts the works of Elle and Maria after dressing her up a lot.

"Can I borrow this?" Catherine held up her hand with the book she got from the shelves and smiled sweetly. Smiling was the only thing she could do to this king. If she could only use her elements, she would've drowned him for being too arrogant. Catherine still cannot forget the way Lucas acted the first time they met.

"Take it."

"Thank you very much! Well, I'll see you this evening!" Catherine beamed and exited the king's office.

Catherine practically ran down the hall to get to her room where Josephine and Ria are waiting for her since she told her ladies-in-waiting to stay at their house for today so that they could prepare for the party this evening. She entered the room, catching her breath. She closed the door behind her and locked it.

Startled by Catherine's actions, Josephine and Ria stood from their seats and move closer to Catherine who slumps to the floor while holding the book.

"What happened, Your Highness?" Ria asked, full of worry as Josephine helped Catherine to stand up and guided her to seat in her bed.

"Someone knows about us. Someone wrote about our kind."

"What do you mean, Your Highness?" Ria handed her a cup of water to calm Catherine down. Catherine handed the book to Ria. She opened the book and her eyes widen at what she saw.

The book contained everything in their kind; the enchanters and the enchantress. The book's pages were all worn out as if someone continues to re-read the book all over again and again.

"H-how did this kind of bookend up here?" Ria sains in disbelief. Their kingdoms are so far apart and they have been secluded even before they were born. Ria was remembering all the history books, she has read about their kind to try and remember if there was even a time when their kind left the security of their place. To her dismay, she did not remember anything of that sort.

Catherine suddenly remembered the beast-like-humans she encountered in the forest. In their kingdom, no one has ever met such a creature like that, nor has it been described in their books.

Suddenly, like a pang of realization hit her. The beast creatures returned to their human form after she killed one of them.

"They experimented!" Catherine exclaimed.

"What do you mean?"

"Remember when I saved Catalina in the forest. I clearly remember that what I was fighting was not human. They were more like a beast with their claws and bloodshot eyes, but the moment I killed one of them, they returned to their human form." Catherine explained. How could she not realize such an important aspect?

"Why did you not tell us?" Ria questioned.

"You were all worried about the fact that I killed a human and I was not in the right mind. I mean, I just did kill a human." Catherine reasoned. All the things that her grandmother told her when she was young came flooding in, that humans were not to be underestimated. As time passes by, their kind continues to evolve and so are their explorations.

"Do you think the humans did this?" Catherine wondered. Josephine quickly picked up the book and went to Catherine's vanity. She opened the drawer in the farthest part of the vanity and put the book under the garments.

"We do not know anything about that. The first thing we need to do is to know whether or not the king knows about our kind." Josephine walked back to Catherine and held her hand.

"If your assumption is true and the king knows about our existence and if he just accepted this marriage because of that, you are in great danger, Your Highness. Our kind is special but your bloodline holds the secret to this power." Josephine whispered, terrified that someone may be listening to their conversations. The last thing she wants is to put the princess in danger.

Catherine nodded. She knew exactly what to do in order to protect her family and her kind.

"Let's get ready for lunch."


Catherine and Lucas just finished their meal for lunch and she invited Lucas for a tea in the garden.

"This place looks magical." Catherine started, eyeing the garden full of different kinds of flowers, in various colors.

"Not really." Lucas blatantly answered and sipped the tea. Catherine frowned at his response. Catherine thought that he probably does not believe in magical beings. With his haughty attitude, he surely thinks that magic is a child's play.

"Do you not believe in magic or something?" Catherine finally asked. She looked at Lucas' face to see any reactions but she found nothing.

"What are you? A five-year-old child?" Lucas retorted while Catherine laughed at his response. She stood up and started walking in the trail in the garden.

"What are you doing?" Lucas asked, bewildered at his betrothed's actions.

"I have finished my tea and so did you. The party is in a couple of hours and I need to prepare. I know that I am already gorgeous but it still takes a little bit of time to get myself into perfection." Catherine explained. It was Lucas's turn to laugh at her remarks. He walked towards her and extended his arm to Catherine.

"Well, it will be my pleasure to escort you to your chambers where perfection happens." Catherine smiled and gladly took the arm Lucas offered her. She has already gotten used to the fact that Lucas always offers his arm when they walk.

When the couple opened the door, a few servants were busy mix and matching jewelry to go with Catherine's black one shoulder long sleeve gown that flows until the floor with ruffles of a little bit of purple to match her eyes and a sparkle of diamond dust in her long-sleeve up to her waist.

"So you're wearing black," Lucas commented when he saw the dress prepared by the servants. Catherine smiled at him, she knew that the dress was over the top. She was not the celebrant but a guest and to top that off, the dress was black.

"Why? Are you planning on matching my dress up as you did on the engagement party?" Catherine joked but when she looked at Lucas's face, all she saw was a serious face of a handsome man staring deeply onto her black dress.

"Anyway, you need to go now. I told you perfection still takes a little bit of time." Catherine chuckled and made Lucas face the door by pulling his arm.

"Alright, alright." Lucas gushed and pulled Catherine's hand from his arm. He moved his face closer to her hand and left a small whisper of a kiss.

"I will see you later." With that, Lucas exited the room and returned to his own chambers.

Catherine looked at the servants who were holding their smiles and squeals at what they witnessed. On the other hand, Josephine and Ria who was busy arranging the clips and pins for her hair looked worried and concern for her. They stood up and led the princess to her bathroom. Maria stood up, as well to help bur Ria raised her hand, gesturing for her not to follow. They left the servants in her room as they continue to chatter and giggle at the sight the couple gave them.

When Catherine, Ria, and Josephine entered the bathroom, Josephine locked the door before helping the princess remove her garments. Catherine sat on one of the stools while Ria and Josephine prepare her bath, putting scented oils and flower petals.

"Please tell Catalina that she will be going with me tonight. Josephine stays here for today. " Catherine stated, Josephine was about to complain when Catherine spoke again.

"I need you to verify something for me."

When they finally finished, Catherine dipped her body into the big tub and relaxed. There were so many things she discovered today and Catherine was glad that one of her worries is already gone.

Ria sat on the stool so that her dress for the party will not be spoiled with the water, while Josephine started to wipe Catherine's body. She was wondering about the right time to ask the questions. Catherine sensed Ria's uneasiness so she started talking about what she found out.

"The king does not know anything."

"Are you sure, Your Highness?" Ria fretted, she has never been that worried in her entire life. She worries about the princess's life. She worries that someone has already know that they are not humans and most of all, she worries about the safety of their kind.

"When I asked him earlier, he asked me if I was a child. He must think that magic is a child's play." Catherine explained.

"But we must still be extra careful." Ria reminded.

"I know." Catherine sighed, absorbing all the information she gathered today. Deep in her heart, she knew that she needed to find the humans who experimented on the creatures she encountered in the forest but she wanted to take a breather first. She wanted to enjoy the party tonight and get the job after. Catherine promised that she would surely get to the bottom of that issue.

When she finished her bath, Elle and Maria came to the bathroom and helped her wear the dress. She looked at the full-length mirror and she can't help but feel proud about their choices. She knew that they wouldn't let her down and would always choose the best for her. She smiled at them and thanked them.

"We can't let that mean girl outshine you, Your Highness," Elle said with determination and gathered Catherine's dress behind her and helped her go to her room. When they entered the room they heard the squabbling of other servants.

"This would look better on Her Highness!" In a burst and pulled a pair of long earrings with marquise purple diamond and a white gold ring.

"Can't you see, this will make her eyes shine more," Gretel exclaimed as she raised a pair of silver bangles and a teardrop crystal necklace.

"Stop! You don't know what suits best with Her Highness' dress. THIS IS THE ONE!" Jane pointed at the black velvet box, protecting layers of gold chain necklace with purple marquise diamond.

Catherine laughed at the girl's bickering and took the long earrings and the teardrop crystal necklace in her hands. Josephine exited the room to call on Catalina who will be going with the princess.

" I will wear this. As for that, I'm sure we will be able to find a dress that would match that necklace. And I would like Jane to find that perfect dress." Catherine said and smiled, ending the dispute between the girls.

The servants hurried to put the jewelry on Catherine, happily. They put her hair in a simple braid leaving some small locks to frame her face. They also put pins and some gemstones in her silky silver hair to make them shine more.

"You look so pretty, Your Highness." 

The door opened and Catalina who was wearing a simple beige dress with a touch of brown came in with Josephine. When they finished, they opened the door for Catherine, just to see Konnor, Raiden, and Lucas waiting.

"You look lovely, princess."

Spoiler

"No!"

"Your Highness!" 

She screamed in pain when the cold sharp metal touched her body. She felt the liquid dripped from her side when she was struck.

[collapse]

Hi! Don't forget to leave a review, like, and comment! Happy reading!

2