Chapter 185 – The Shifting Forest.
96 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xue did not tell the whole rollercoaster of her emotions to Aile. But with her story and complaints, it was not hard for him to piece out the areas that have kept Xue and Fiona from forming a closer relationship. This was something that Aile did not expect. That lovable maid of his had decided to be blamed and hated by Xue in his stead. Aile had told her to keep Xue away as her background was too mysterious and something that he did not want to get involved with as he had a lot in his plate.
However, he failed to correct this request once he was no longer bound by such constraints. It would be unacceptable for such a mistake. However, Aile had been worrying about the problem of his and others immediate safety forgetting about this. Although it is a mistake that he was not happy about, he could not change the past. Even more so, Aile could not let Xue think that Fiona is against her or her development any more. To prevent two people that should be close and having so much in common be separated due to his mistake made him sad.
Since the time presented itself, he was going to solve it as much as he can. Xue had looked back at his expression after making her claim and seeing the not happy expression, she decided to change the conversation. She had no intention of this, so before she could come up with the next topic, she heard.
"Xue, I am sorry. I am at fault here. I had told her to reduce your influence and not let you be close to me." Aile was not sure how Xue would take this. But he knew that he could not let Fiona take the blame for this.
Getting a confused glint from her, she asked, "Why?" She did not believe Aile. She thought that he was just covering for her.
Knowing that he had no other choice but to explain his grey plan, Aile started to explain to her the conjectures they made. That her family was most likely a strong one, and she is possibly here to gain experience. Aile then told her that because of that, he was protective of his business as large families would just take such shops if one of them was at the helm. Whether it is just as a keepsake or as a profitable branch.
"Why did you want me to stay away from you?"
Aile shrugged and said, "Does it matter?"
Xue nodded, it did matter to her. But she asked the question from a different angle to get the answer she seeks. "What about now, do you still want me to stay away from you, What is exactly your thought about such a thing now?" said Xue coldly. As she removed his hand from around her waist.
Knowing that the things have reached this stage because of the concealed truth, Aile no longer hid anything and honestly answered. After all, she was a valuable person, and he did not care about going against another force. He is already against a whole kingdom, siding against both the White Clan and Royals. So what would another force amount to? Aile said, "I would support whatever decision you choose. Although I would appreciate it if you stayed." Aile had already appreciated Xue's involvement and liked her presence. He did not plan to let her go, but he could not force her to stay either.
Xue was quiet for a while until she replied, "I will stay if you are honest with me. Why did you enforce those two conditions? I do not believe it is just for that. Even if what you said is the truth, why would a large clan care much about a small business? You are smart enough to know that the chance of such a thing is negligible." Aile did not want to tell her that many powerful clans would do such a thing because they can. They also know that relationship and a sense of belonging would be established with their descendant and where they grew up and worked. So they would either remove such a source of doubt from their descendent's heart or take it under them to build a closer relationship with the castaway descendent. Only when there is no emotional attachment, the previous 'training-ground' would not be interfered with.
Telling her her family would be so heartless without making it seem like sowing discord was unlikely. Especially since she knew that he did not know who they were or someone who had the experience of such events. Nor was he 100 percent sure that his conjectures were right.
At this time Guang arrived demanding why she was there. Aile gave her a quick reply about his interest in the rune. Since he had no intention of using Guang as a conversation diverter. Aile was emotionless in his response, pushing her away so he could continue his talk with Xue.
After Guang left, Aile told Xue that he prevented her from forming a connection with himself and his business. This is because he did not want her to feel burdened if her mother arrives to take her back. He told her that his attempts would only seem like he was influencing her to stay and could be used by others to make her feel used and indebted. When the time came, she might not act rationally. She could be used, knowing that she might have been subtly manipulated into liking Aile's business.
Xue understood Aile's meaning, he did not want to be involved with her family's plot. He did not want to be used as a target by her family to manipulate her into returning. As a person who has been part of the many businesses dealings, getting Aile's subtle concern from his statement was not hard.
Xue did not respond verbally and just pulled his hand around her waist again. Giving her answer and appreciation in the form of action. After a while, she said shyly, "Do not make decisions for me or push me away again. Did you tell Phantom-Fiona to..."
"Yeah I was the one, but she should have been honest and let you know that it was my order to keep you distant..." sigh, Aile thought about Fiona, 'What should I do to you, Fiona... I can not punish you, you were trying to help me. I can not reward you either for such an act.'
At this time the outburst of Guang came again. Aile could not deal with her right now, so he just ignored it. Xue was thinking about a few things, but she did not seem to blame Aile too much as she was leaning on him. But nonetheless, the revelation was too much to her. She possibly got a powerful family. She realized that Fiona, someone who had acted as her companion was not bad at all, and acted more like a sister. Most of all, she was feeling protected in Aile's embrace even more so realizing that he has cared about her and worried about her future.
Xue was feeling powerful, loved and protected and with a breath, she released a lot of her pent-up anger and a victorious smile formed on her lips. She felt like she had won in the game called life. Aile's presence around her brought her the comfort she needed. A wide smile formed on her face, Xue was truly content today.
The next part of the journey was a quiet one, Xue spending more time thinking about what Aile has said. Aile thinking that another problem might pop up in the future. However, Xue was worth it. She had a critical role in building the Merchant Unions. She is smart enough to understand nuances and hidden meanings. Xue is also someone that is a good leader with the ability to earn people's trust. She had been suppressed so far and still managed to make the people around her very loyal.
When she no longer is suppressed, she would create better unity in her team, not to mention she is an excellent strategist too. If needed, she can help with the militaristic side of Aile's forces. Aile held her closer unconsciously greedily holding on to her and her talent.
Soon they could see a dark line form in the horizon.
As they got closer, Aile noticed that it was a forest that was consisted of tall and dark green trees covered in moss. The leaves and vegetation were leaning towards seaweed and pine green colour, making the forest dark. Only shimmering light was allowed to pass through the dense vegetation creating an eerie feeling. Just by the looks of the forest one could tell that it was not a safe place.
The forest was called the shifting forest. The reason for that was due to the dark ground of the forest, it allows for mushrooms and other poisonous plants to grow in the cold lightless environment. The by-product of these plants creates a noxious gas that is not deadly but very disorienting.

 

3