Elena’s Requiem Story Arc, Part IX
216 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Snap back to the present day…

The midday sun shone warmly and gently on the town square. Life, and light, upon the crystalline bark of the great tree, and the diamond sheen of its acacia leaves opening up wide to accept this heavenly warmth.

“That’s what happened, Claire...” Elena said, quietly. “The Order of Eternal Light never came for me, y’know? I’m sure they’d love to, but they were too busy with the Emperor’s madness up north with the Hellbourne.”

“Elena…”

“I’m a killer. That’s who I am, and who I have to be for Lady Mezalune. That’s why I asked you back home, if you’re really sure about wanting to serve me.”

Claire nodded.

“I still do.”

“Heh. Can’t even shed a tear now,” Elena remarked out loud. “Tell me, though. Do I kill everything I touch?”

“No.”

Before Elena could shy away, Claire leaned in close and embraced her mistress.

“Hey, what the hell are you…”

“Let me tell you something, Elena…” Claire said, whispering her words softly into her mistress’s ear. “A wise elf once told me that we do what we have to do. Even if it’s stupid, or awful, even if we’re not proud of it. We just do, and we do our best to stay true to our heart.”

“You’re talking about me, right?” Elena asked, as she frowned at her servant. “Look, that was just some nonsense I cooked up back home to cheer you up.”

With a smile, Claire shrugged her shoulders.

“Maybe. But it worked, didn’t it? We made it through that day together. And many more, since. Just as you did, back then.”

“Heh, I suppose...”

“I mean,” Claire added, as she pointed at the divine radiance of the great tree standing tall before them both. “You did something to fix this, right? Maybe Eldia’s not as great as before, but… isn’t that how we move onward? By picking up the pieces of the past?”

She then looked away from the tree and Elena, and down towards the snow beneath her feet, her smile turning wistful as she did.

“Like me… back when I was the Elician Jewel. I’m just Claire de la Lune, now. Or, just like Anna, after… you know. I’d like to think she’s out there, being strong and finding her way. Life’s… just like that. Strange, huh?”

“Right. Anyway…”

“Yes, Elena?”

Elena glanced nervously at Claire, and the lack of space between the two of them on this bench with plenty of sitting room for two.

“Please, uh… let go of me?”

Claire shook her head, smiling playfully at the necromantic shades of green blushed upon her mistress’s cheeks.

“Not until you tell me how this story of yours ends.”

“You sure you don’t wanna grab a bite to eat first?” Elena uttered. “Didn’t get to read it in detail… but the inn we’re putting up at has a really nice-looking lunch special…”

Giggling softly, Claire continued embracing her mistress’s coldness.

“Lunch can wait. Talk to me, won’t you?”

12