Scarlet Dreams Story Arc, Part IV
79 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Night #1, of Elena’s stay with Claire at Fort Maria…

It’s dark, and Claire’s fast asleep. Now, I’m just sitting on the floor, with my back against the bed while I wait for the inevitable. I’d sit by her side, where she’d see me when she wakes up, but I… don’t feel so good about it.

I should’ve been there at Light’s Edge during the Vampire outbreak, y’know? Somehow, I dunno. Eris tells me, in confidence, that some of the villagers’ bloodlines possess a latent vampiric gene that keeps the Blood Curse dormant within their souls. You see, roughly a century and a half ago, there was a Vampire cult that lived in the shadows of this region in the Ecclesiarch’s dominion. They were known as the Bloodthirsty, and they were cursed, nay, ‘blessed’, by Amon when they sought the Dark Goddess’s power. The Central Church and the Lightsworn Guard put an end to most of ‘em before they could do anything substantial, but the families of the cultists who remained unaware and innocent, are cursed forever.

Yeah, it’s rather a well-kept secret of Light’s Edge that’s been held by each successive Vizier of Fort Maria to stay ever vigilant of this place where the families of the Bloodthirsty remain, one that I don’t think even Lady Mezalune is aware of. And this persistence is also the reason why there’ll always be vampires upon Melodia, and why the great crusades against them will inevitably fail – those who contract vampirism by means of prayer to Amon, doom their bloodlines with the Blood Curse unending. And Amon, whatever remains of her, will always bestow her gift upon a worthy supplicant who seeks her out. Even back in my day, the elven emperors of old found this out the hard way, that it’s simply impossible to truly cleanse the world of vampirism unless they kill each and every one of a cursed person’s bloodline, down to the last child.

And of course, they didn’t. We all didn’t, myself included. How else, otherwise, would we have people to fight our wars, and pay for our whores?

But at the very least, Claire’s Blood Curse isn’t made of that kind of soul-ruining stuff. Hers, like so many others caught in this endless struggle, is more of a disease than a curse, one that’s spread by the saliva and the claws of another Vampire. It won’t damn her soul nor her bloodline, but there’s no cure for her. Just like the other villagers who had to be put down by Eris and that Dullahan of hers. I should know, since I’ve done the same for so many over the years, without so much as a second thought as either a Countess or a Vizier. The best I’d do is tell ‘em, their loved ones, that I’m sorry about what had to be done. And now, for me, I suppose that everything’s come full circle. That deep down, I’m a hypocrite and a fool.

Damn it, damn the irony of it all! I’m not sure whether I should laugh, or scream into a pillow and smash something to bits in this room. I’d do the latter, but Claire and I are here at Eris’s mercy. And I’d be more of a fool than I already am, to insult this hospitality of hers that I certainly didn’t expect from a Lightsworn, especially with a situation like this.

“Elena…! Anna…!”

Now, Claire’s screaming wildly. She’s thrashing against the sheets, like something or someone’s trying to smother her in her sleep. I suppose, in light of not wanting to face her, I’m truly a hypocrite, because I immediately spring to my feet and clasp a hand of hers into both of mine as tightly as I can, in a bid to calm her down.

“Hey there,” I say to her as gently as I can, her brown eyes slowly but surely focusing upon my face while she gasps for air. “It’s okay, I’m here.”

“Elena…?”

“Yeah. Don’t worry about it, alright? You’re safe with me.”

“Elena, I’m so glad…”

Claire’s still breathing heavily, but at least she’s slowing down and relaxing into a mortal normalcy. She’s sweating profusely, despite the cloth-wrapped ice pressed against her forehead.

“I’d ask if you’re okay,” I say, grimacing as she smiles weakly at me. “Y’know, proper etiquette and all, but…”

“I feel a lot better, with you by my side.”

“Heh.”

“I’m… being serious, Elena.”

“I don’t doubt you, not at all.”

I wonder, Claire. If deep down, you’d blame me for this. You oughta be angry with me, y’know? I won’t lie, I’d feel a whole lot better if you cursed my name, or hit me. But maybe, just maybe, you’re too tired to be angry. I mean, being ill does take a lot of energy outta ya, y’know? And yet, even though that’s what I deserve, I’m still glad that you’re so… placid.

“I had… this awful dream.”

“Huh. Tell me about it.”

“I dreamt of someone asleep, in this very bed... it was someone else, but it wasn’t you, or anyone that I know…”

“Well…” I remark out loud, as jovially as I can despite the doom and gloom. “I did steal away from ya for a bit, while you were fast asleep. To get water, food, stuff mortals need to live, even when they’re ill…”

“Um…”

It’s true, y’know? And I hate doing it, Claire. Eris’s servants are Lightsworn as well, and they’re not too keen about having us around. Even if she said so, that it’s okay that we can stay here in the meantime. Nearly got into a scuffle with a couple of ‘em a few hours ago, over some water and ice.

But, it’s okay. If it’s for you, I don’t mind. Not at all! Don’t question it, okay?

“It was this same exact room, except that I was… visiting. I leaned down towards them as they slept, and I couldn’t see their face in the darkness. And I reached in with both my hands, and I… tore their throat open, and I…”

Now, there are tears in Claire’s eyes. I try, in earnest, to think of something to say. And yet, perhaps it’s better not to, y’know? Probably for the best, probably better to just… hold you close.

“Drank… their blood. When I realised it, I screamed! I couldn’t believe it, that I…!”

“It’s okay,” I say, as I lean in to kiss her upon her forehead. “It’s okay! Just a little nightmare, is all.”

“No…!”

“No?”

“Don’t lie to me, Elena! I know… that something’s happening to me…”

“I’m not lying to you, I’m just…”

“And I know, I think I know… that the others who came here with me... they’re all…”

“Yeah,” I state, while I behold the tears that roll down her eyes as she looks at me. “You’re right. They are.”

“Why…?”

“Because, they’re vampires,” I state, as her sobs fill the room. “They’re infected.”

“And the Lightsworn spared me, because…”

“Because of me, that’s why. Elicia’s Law, y’know? I’m a Vizier of the Eye of Elicia, remember?”

“Yes, I do, I…”

Perhaps you feel the same way, Claire. Y’know, the hypocrisy of it all. But damn it, really.

“That’s… awful, I…”

“I’m sorry,” I say, and that’s all I can muster in this moment. “I should’ve stayed.”

“Tell me, Elena. What’s going to happen to me...?”

“Uh, well…” I answer, as Claire looks at me tearfully. “There’s a saying from the Dark Goddess, in the Grimoire of Amon…”

“Which is…?”

“Death isn’t always eternal. For some, it’s merely a time of waiting,” I state, closing my eyes as I speak, when I recall that one passage of the Grimoire of Amon in its entirety. “Now, it’s your time to wait. Be patient, and all shall be clear.”

“I’m… scared, Elena.”

“I’m a little jittery about it too,” I tell her, as I hold her close in the darkness. “But we’ll face it, whatever it entails, together.”

3