Land of the Demon King Story Arc, Part VII
77 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elena’s report, concluded…

It was nearing daybreak when I finally got out of the mines. Never thought I’d ever feel any sort of relief from a glimpse of the sun, so that’s a first.

The surviving cultists of the Demon King were revelling wildly like madmen when I encountered them again at the camp. They were partying hard when I pushed my way through their festivities without incident, and they were gorging themselves on the last of their stolen supplies, having an orgy like it was the end of the world. For what’s coming for them very soon, it might as well be, and I’m sure they know it too.

I still can’t help but wonder why the fallen occultist anointed himself with such a crude title, my Lady. It’s the humans and elves uninitiated in the eldritch or the arcane, that tend to use the word ‘Demon’ when talking about the Hellbourne. Scholarly semantics, maybe. Perhaps it’s for the sake of mass appeal, given the nature of his followers. I mean, simple words go a long way for such things, no?

Oh, well. I suppose, at the end of the day it is what it is, as Eris de Maria would say. Probably.

When I reached the docks, the Vizier of the Lord General, Anna de la Lune, had just arrived. You know, Claire’s little sister. Her minions were still disembarking from a rather fearsome-looking frigate. They’re a rather gruesome sight, humans and elves wielding bladed chains as weapons and implements grafted into their bodies, in some kind of twisted homage to their mistress. Not sure what else to say about that, really.

“Miss Elena.”

There’s an air of grim coldness from Anna, something I’ve never felt from her in our limited interactions whenever Claire’s around. Tad bit of insanity and violence, I’ll say. Maybe it’s Ebondrake’s influence, or the result of her training, or maybe it’s my mind playing tricks on me as I look upon the convoluted mass of bladed chains protruding from her black and purple robes, and the crimson glow of her Bloodstone heart. Either way, didn’t dwell on it too much while I told her about all that had happened on the island, and what I found beneath the mines.

“I see…” she stated after my explanation, nodding once. “Before I go…”

“Yeah?”

“How’s, um… sis?”

“She’s misses you very much,” I answered her. “She sends you her love.”

“I see. Me too…”

I considered telling her about the Blood Curse that had befallen Claire, but I suppose that’s a story for another time, and a bridge to cross for another day. Not here, at least. And so, I watched on as she set off towards the mining camp to enact Ebondrake’s will, her minions in tow and eager for slaughter. Not sure what will become of the rebels with this coming for them, but it can’t be anything good.

Once that’s done, the Black Legion will probably seal off the mines forever. Even though the eldritch presence is gone, I sincerely doubt that they'll take any risks with Hellbourne stuff that's unaffiliated with Elicia. What will become of the Isle of Serenity after that remains to be seen, but that’s their decision to make, not ours.

Yeah, I'm done here.

3