A Race Bound in Chains (1)
18 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Authors Note: Now I know what your thinking, "Wow a New Chapter!" but just for the record- I write this in between another series, and I'm also a student so I don't have a lot of time on my hands. But please enjoy it regardless.

 

 

 

 

Father! I'd like to participate in the scenarios as a streamer!” a small figure shouted to the much larger figure. “The scenarios have already started; you're too late-” The small figure interrupted its father. “I just need one chance.” a few seconds passed, “I've already thought of the perfect Sub-Scenario.” the father looked questioningly at its offspring, “What is it?” the small figure smiled and laughed. “A losers bracket.”

 

--

 

   It was dark, I was in a daze. I felt my muscles flex as the sedatives started to wear off, as my awareness started to return. When I opened my eyes, I found myself restrained- with chains connecting me to the person on my left and the one on my right. The line of people went on as far as I could see, and the monotonous pace wasn't helping in deducing what was happening.

 

“Hey,” I whispered to the person to my right, I got no response. “Are you awake?” before I could even check a voice boomed through space. “Wake up Failures!!” It was a voice I didn't recognize, but at least I now knew that everyone really was asleep. The voice began speaking again, “If you were to look around, I'm sure you'd notice the uncountable number of people you're currently chained to.” the voice laughed heartily, “For one reason or another, all of you have failed to receive the qualifications to climb.” a questionable sentence proceeded, “This is a bonafide losers bracket.”

 

[ A Sub-Scenario has Arrived! ]

 

< (A Race Bound in Chains)  >

Category: Sub (-) 

Difficulty: F-

Clear Condition(s): 

 1. Reach the “Goal” as one of the first 20 people

2. Reach the “Goal” without Breaking your Chains

Time Limit: 25 Minutes

Compensation/Reward:

1. 400 Coins.

2. Access to the “Attributes” tab.

3. Qualification to climb the tower.

Failure: Death

  • The Betting Pool is not open to participants.
  • The Attributes tab is temporarily available to participants

 

As soon as I finished reading the scenario information the “goal” was brought to my attention, it was close enough to reach in twenty-five minutes, but far enough for it to be a hellish challenge. “I definitely passed the qualification test.” I was sure that I’d cleared the last scenario and received the qualification so I retraced my notifications. 

 

[The scenario is experiencing difficulties and is unable to reward you at this time.]

 

“Shit… so that's why-” 

 

“Hey! How do you expect us to run that far when we're all connected like this!” the man I had tried to wake up earlier shouted out into the air, “We’d have to all go at the same time! Not to mention the-”   

 

Wooooosh

 

A calm wind suddenly flew by, the man speaking was cut off by the voice, “Any More Questions?” I looked towards where the man once was and recoiled as his corpse was suddenly sent flying, the cuffs around his wrists had shattered into a few hundred pieces in the process. “You-” someone started to say, “Yup! Popped him just like a balloon.” I may not have been able to see the speaker's face, But I knew instinctively that the voice’s owner was smiling wickedly.

 

--

 

“It looks like a few have noticed.” One woman said to another. “I would hope so- If nobody noticed then the upper echelons would be irritated.” some time passed before the other woman replied, “This is the real deal not something you can half-ass, this has been in the works for centuries- that means that you need an incarnation.”

 

“Oh don't you worry your pretty little head, I've got an eye on someone.” The woman gave an eerie smile, “If it's the person I think it is, then you best sponsor em’ quickly- because I can think of quite a few who have their eye on that girl.”

 

The two beautiful women sat down and watched the following events with interested eyes.

 

--

 

[ “Voice Of Nightmares” has sent you a private message.] 

 

One questioning glance led to curiosity, said curiosity led me to open the message. [ “Have You Noticed?” ] A vague message appeared before me, ‘How do I reply?”  another message came after a few seconds. [ “Reach the “Goal” without Breaking your Chains” ]

 

!!!!

 

“I understand.” I spoke aloud, “Thank you.”

 

“3”. 

 

“2.”

 

“1”.

 

“Goooooooooooooooooooo!”

 

Within a few moments, the line of people started being forced forward by the people who ran ahead. The people in the front had to pull the weight of all the participants behind them. A few people tried their luck and broke the brittle chains connecting them to the other participants, only to explode in a maelstrom of blood and innards.

 

 With a slight tremble to my grip, I squeezed and squeezed until the brittle cuff around my left wrist snapped into hundreds of tiny pieces. The person to my left looked at me in shock, “You just-” I cut the woman off and broke the cuff on her right hand. A deep fear filled her peach-colored eyes as I assured her of her safety. “Your welcome-” those were the last words I said before breaking into a full sprint towards the finish line.

 

--

 

The six-mile sprint was grueling to say the least, so much so that if you couldn't figure out the trick then surviving would be nigh impossible. Luckily enough the track was flat and did not contain any obstacles that would hinder the participants' progress. Therefore once you figured out the trick, then the scenario was arguably easy. 

 

[ “Thieving Rapist” is calling for more bloodshed! ]

 

[ “Soft Springtime Breeze” is reprimanding “Thieving Rapist.” ]

 

[ “Keeper of the River Styx” calls for a difficulty adjustment. ]

 

[ “Untimely Flying General” calls for a difficulty adjustment. ]

 

“Oh?” a small animal appeared. “Why are so many impressive spectators gathered in the losers bracket?” The animal was about a foot tall with two long ears that bent in the center, a super-thin tail with a blade at the end, and an adorable little tuxedo. It was the existence that had been speaking this whole time.

 

“It doesn't really matter but- I appreciate the support! Make sure to subscribe to my channel; the one and only “Vorpal Rabbit.” 

 

Was this thing really acting smug?

 

[ “Peach Colored Liberator of Onigashima” strongly calls for a difficulty adjustment. ]

 

[ “Voice of Nightmares” is laughing at “Peach Colored Liberator of Onigashima” ]

 

“Alright, settle down everyone- and try to keep indirect messages as civil as possible. Laughing at kids is questionable. Ya’ know?” The messages calling for a difficulty adjustment continued to pour out like a waterfall. “Hah, And here I thought the scenario was good.” The “Vorpal Rabbit” swiped right and accepted the requests of the spectators.

< (A Race Bound in Chains)  >

Category: Sub (-) 

The spectators are demanding an increase in difficulty! 

Difficulty: F- ------}  E++

Clear Condition(s): 

 1. Reach the “Goal” as one of the first 6 people

 2. Reach the “Goal” without Breaking your Chains

 3. Eliminate the “Horde” before reaching the “Goal”

Time Limit: 2 Hours.

Compensation/Reward:

1. 400 Coins --------} 1200 Coins

2. Permanent access to the “Attributes” tab.

3. Qualification to climb the tower.

Failure: Death

  • The Betting Pool is not open to participants.
  • The Attributes tab is temporarily available to participants

I began sprinting as fast as I could towards the goal, unfortunately; “Send your warmest welcomes to a spectator who offered to participate in this scenario!” the rabbit began shouting into a microphone, “Welcome the one and only….” Hundreds of cat-like monsters began appearing over the scenario area. “The Cat Which Overcame Limbo’ Schrödinger!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

A collective word found itself on the tip of every participant's tongue... “Shit.”

1