Chapter 07: Manga Is Literature, Manga is Life!
913 7 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I entered the clubroom. Ahh yes. Club time. I hope for more cupcakes, if it was a daily thing.

Monika: "Oh hello, Haruno. Glad to see you didn't run away on us. Hahaha!"

She said that with a happy look on her face. I am finally back. The king is back, everyone. Don't worry, I'll never do that.

"Nah, don't worry. I won't making same mistakes like last time, Monika."

Monika: "Ehehehe..."

Again with my words. Last time? What did I just said? But I guess that made her smile sweetfully. Well, if she's happy about it, I won't mind anymore. She gets flustered at me and leaves.

Well, back to start. Ahh, the Literature Club. I am back. I was the last to come in, so everyone else is already hanging out. I look everywhere to see what they are doing. Monika and Sayori are in a deep conversation about something. And Yuri is engrossed in a book. Hmmm. Is that Natsuki? I decided to walk by the closet to see what she's up to.

Natsuki: "Ughh!"

I hear Natsuki utter an exasperated sight from within the closet. She seems to be annoyed or irritated at something. I approach her, in case she need a hand. Time to check her out.

"Hey Natsuki? Are you looking for something in there?"

Natsuki: "Freaking Monika. She always messing around with my stuff and never putting it back, where it belongs."

"I hear you, I mean like what's the point in keeping your collection of things organized if someone else is just gonna mess it up?

Natsuki: "Exactly!"

Pretty relatable to me actually. That one time in my old life, a classmate of mine founded my manga collection and started to jumble everything. You spent time fixing it and someone will just waste that time you spent on it.

.....

Natsuki starts to slide a bunch of stacked books and boxes across the shelf. Damn, she's strong like Sayori. I will keep that too in mind. I saw something that interests me.

"Is that... manga? Sweet!"

Natsuki: "You read manga, right?"

"Ahh well, yeah. How did you know?"

Natsuki: "I heard you brought that up from some point yesterday."

Manga is life. For me, I love manga, every genre or storyline. As long as it have character development, a decent setting and a good plot, it is something you can spend your time with. Well, there are some mangas I don't read, because they can be predictable, and the fandom sucks.

Natsuki: "Besides, it is written on your face?"

"I guess I was reading manga last night and fell asleep, so it fell onto my face huh?"

I sarcastically said that. But yeah, I should stop reading cheap manga late at night, in bed. Maybe the ink did get stuck on my face when I fall asleep on it. Hmm?

There's a lone volume of manga admist a stack of various books on the side of one of the shelves. Curious, I pull it out if the stack.

Natsuki: "Ohh there it is!"

She snatches it from my hand. Darn. I didn't even see the cover. She then turns to a box of manga and slips the volume right into the middle of the rest. Pretty organized.

Natsuki: "Ahh, much better! Seeing a box set with one book missing is probably the most irritating sight in the world."

Could she be one of my people? Maybe a queen?

"I know the feeling. H-hey, can I take a look?"

I get a closer look at the box set she's admiring.

"Parfait Girls... I haven't heard that before."

It's a series I never heard of before. I wonder if it's like Sailor Moon or Magical Girl Pretty Bell? This probably means it's either underrated or it's freaking awesome!

Natsuki: "If you are gonna judge, you can do it either through the glass window over there or the classroom door right there."

She points at the window beside her and the clubroom door.

"Hell no am I judging! I've read stuff you wouldn't imagine a person like me would read."

What am I saying? It's like I am saying I am reading those henta- I mean those 18+ manga. Focused, Haruno.

Natsuki: "Well next time, watch the tone of your voice."

"Sorry, sorry."

I thought I am being enthusiastic enough? Maybe it didn't get through.

Natsuki: "But I'll tell you one thing, Haruno. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Consider that a lesson of a pro from the Literature Club. In fact--"

She starts to pull the first volume of Parfait Girls from the box.

Natsuki: "I'm gonna show you exactly why."

I thought she was going to say, "I'm gonna show you the power of my stand. The World!". It's funny how my mind thinks sometimes.

She shoves the book right into my hands. Oww. I stare at the cover. It features four girls in colorful sttires striking animated feminine poses. Is that A Jojo Reference? Anyway, it's "moe".... to the extreme. It looks good.

Natsuki: "Well, don't just stand there!"

"Uwahhh!"

Natsuki grabs my arm and pulls me out the closet. I feel like this will be an occuring thing. She then takes a seat against the wall, beneath the windowsills. She pats on the ground next to her, motioning me to sit there. Wait, not only she reads manga, she is also a "floor gang". Yep. She is pretty interesting. I sat down next to her.

"You don't want to use chairs? If I am sitting that close to you, it's like you are literally sitting on my lap."

I say that exaggeratedly

Natsuki: "W-wha... what are you saying! Did you just say lap?"

She punches my arm.

"Ouch, I'm kidding, I'm kidding!"

Natsuki: "You better be..."

I'm going to turn into a masochist after all of this.

Natsuki: "Besides, we can't read at the same time like that on chairs."

"Hmm, fair point. It is easier to be close together on the floor like this."

Natsuki: "H-hey, d-don't just say that! You are making me feel weird about it!"

She crosses her arms and skootches and inch away from me.

"Well, nothing's weird for me or about it to me."

Seriously, everything I went through is so weird. Plus, I didn't expect to be sitting this close to her too. But I think it more of a positive than a negative. I open the book, gently. I take good care of my books, so even if this is just for a meanwhile, I should do the same.

....

It's only a few second before Natsuki once again skootch inches closer, reclaiming the additional space while she hopes I won't notice. I can feel her peering over my shoulder, much more eager to begin reading than I am.

Natsuki: "Wow, how long has it been since I read the beginning...?"

"Hmmm? You don't go back and flip through the older volumes every now and then?"

Natsuki: "No, not really. Maybe sometimes after I've finished the series."

"Alright then."

Natsuki: "Hey, are you paying attention?"

"Yes, I am."

I am, but I just want to find out more about her. I remember that poem she wrote. I started reading. It looks like a bunch of friends in high school. Typical slice-of-life affair. It's great and refreshing to read this type of genre again. I kinda grew out of these. This reminds me of the silliness of what some of the older magical girls mangas I had read. Not that I read that kind of stuff. Wink. Wink.

"So, when does the romance start? Is there gonna be a plot? Will there be cupcakes?"

Natsuki: "Well, obviously! You think I would read and enjoy something that didn't have any plot, romance amd cupcakes? Of course not. Hmm, I guess I know what you're saying. A lot of the beginning is about simple things. Like there's this one guy that they are so obsessed at the ice cream shop, but that's just helps you to get to know the characters better. And besides, it is still entertaining. Later on, there's all kinds of drama. Like when they get into all their backstories, and when some of the romance starts to happen. That really what made it so good! There are so many touching parts!"

Like Yuri speaks about books, Natsuki speak so passionately about manga. I actually like it a lot. To be honest, it is awesome.

"Is that so? I am glad to hear it. It sounds like you really know what you are talking about. Perhaps I have underestimated your power, Natsuki."

Natsuki: "Ehehehe! Wait! What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means-"

Before I say a word, she shoves me. She is really quite strong for being so small.

"Wait, wait. I meant that I haven't yet seen you at your maximum power."

Natsuki: "Hmph. Good save."

We continued to read after this. After a while I notice something intriguing here.

"Natsuki, this is just a guess but, there is a lot of baking here in this manga? Right?"

She pauses for a moment, as if she doesn't want to admit something.

Natsuki: "Yeah, why do you ask? Why does that matter?"

"Well, it reminds me of you. Since you enjoy baking."

Natsuki: "That's--- Just a coincidence! I just happened to get into baking around the same time I got this manga. Like I would ever get into anything because it's in a manga."

Jackpot. It's definitely a coincidence. Well, that explains her interest in baking. But to be honest, it is a good hobby to be interested. And she mastered it. If I were to marry her, she could bake me a lot of cupcakes. Wait? Marry? There goes my thoughts again. First Monika and Sayori, now Natsuki too? I should control myself. Restrain. Yes.

.....

We read for like, maybe half an hour? I guess that the advantage of early dissmisal. This school ends their classes in 3PM. Plus, the remaining hours will be consume for clubs. I am so glad a school like this existed. I hate my old one. You'll go to school, 7:30 AM to 5 PM. So harsh. Then repeating it for years, wow. I did endure that huh?

....

I've finished a couple of chapters at this point, as I am a skilled manga reader. I could just say on the whole school, "I have the high ground, mortals!"

"Oh Natsuki, are you sure this is not boring for you?"

Natsuki: "No, not really."

"Even though you're just watching me read?"

Natsuki: "Well, I am fine... with that..."

"If you say so..."

I smile a little. This is fun. Spending time with her. And she's so cute. I want to pat her head.

"I guess it's fun sharing something you like with someone else. I always get excited when I try to convince someone to read a series I enjoy. You know what I mean?"

I read manga with my Father though. He seems to like my taste for manga as well.

Natsuki: "Hmm?"

"Wait, you don't? Why is that?"

Natsuki: "Ummm, that's... well I...

"You don't share manga with your friends?"

Natsuki: "And can you not rub it in? Jeez!"

Well, shit. That just sucks! She became quiet. For a minute. Then she speaks up.

Natsuki: "Well, people say when I started to convince them to read this,

"Oh Natsuki, you're so childish."
"Manga again, aren't you too old for that?"
"Here she goes again with her weird manga."

It just wants me to punch them in the face."

"Arghh, I know the feeling."

Natsuki: "Wait, really?"

"Honestly, it takes a lot of effort to find friends who don't judge. Much less friends who are also into things you like as well. I have a hard time just trying to find any friends who can understand me for that. I guess it is more harder for someone like you."

From my previous life, I tried so hard. But never gotten any friend in school. And that's why I got bullied. Shame on them. Shame on those who give a shit about Natsuki too.

Natsuki: "Well, that is pretty accurate."

Haha, yeah it is. Wha- Wait? Which part?

Natsuki: "I mean, I can't keep it in my own room. I don't know what my dad would do if he sees it. He might throw then away, or worse... He might do something to me. But, it feels safer here in the clubroom. 'Cept that Monika was really a jerk about it. Ugh, I just can't win, can I?"

"But think of the positive side. Here I am, reading it. You can call me your "reading buddy". Hah?"

Natsuki: "Well, it is not like that solves any of my problems."

"Maybe, but I guess you're enjoying yourself now, right? And if you ever have problems, you can talk to me, alright? I am your friend too, Nats."

She became silent again for a second there.

Natsuki: "Really?"

"Yeah."

I patted her head out of instict. Oh no. I fear this. Is she gonna twist my hand? I look at her. It look like she wants to resist, but stops. But after that, she grabs my arm. Softly though. Whaaat? Just? Happen?

Natsuki: "Jeez, that's enough. Are you gonna keep reading or what?"

"Yes, yes... I will read, Natsuki."

Natsuki: "Hmph."

We stayed silent, reading. Suddenly when I flip the page to the next one, she busted a loud laugh.

Natsuki: "Hahaha! I totally forgot that happens!"

She points one of the page panels.

Natsuki: "Minori is my favorite character. You always feel bad for her, since she's so unlucky. But it gets specially bad when- wait, I guess I should stay silent. Keep reading."

As her voice sparkles, it contradicts her usual bossy tone. But if she's not used to sharing her favorite manga with her friends, I can understand why. It is hard to express in words the feeling you get when connecting with someone like that. And being able to provide them to Natsuki, it is a rare experience...

....

We have been reading for an hour now when suddenly Monika calls Natsuki.

Monika: "Natsuki, can you come over here really quick? Sayori and I need to speak to you about a few things about club activities..."

"Awwww..."

Natsuki: "Oh come on. Could your timing be any worse?"

Monika: "Sorry~ it won't take long. Though you do look pretty cozy over there."

What is with that smug face Monika?

Natsuki: "Ehhh? Ehhhhhhhhhh!"

Natsuki suddenly notices how close she's gotten close to me. She shoved me away again and distance herself away from me for, like 12 inches?

"Alright... it is been a fun read. Guess I'll stop here for now."

I handed it to Natsuki.

Natsuki: "You dummy, you don't want to know what happens next?"

"Ehhh? Yes, I do? But what do you mean?"

Natsuki: "Well, don't be a dummy. Just take it. Take it home with you."

She gets embarassed.

"Are you sure? You are Awesome! I'll take good care of it."

I smile right back at her.

"Just finish that one so we could read the next one. And if it gets bent, I'll kill you. Slowly."

"By tomorrow? Is that a challenge? Ha! Sure! Why not?"

I got partway through the volume so far. It will be easy. I can finish this easily and talk about it with her tomorrow. If she have time like this again.

"Alright!"

I stand up. I return where I have put my stuff and schoolbag. Carefully, I slide the manga into my bag as to not crease any pages.

....

While Natsuki and the girls are talking, Yuri starts approaching me...

28