Theatre in another World: 02
115 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A wide hall sprawled out before them. At its center stood multiple counters that served as the reception. Guild personal dealt with every matter of the Guild members and guests. All around it, all kinds of people brought great bustle to the guildhall. A small bistro to the right also was put to full use by these. While on the left, people left and entered small numbered rooms. Multiple boards also stood scattered around, containing tasks and requests for anyone to fulfill.

While she let her eyes roam the hall, Lisa ordered herself into a line to a counter. Meanwhile, the white cat rubbed its head on her legs and Era happily hummed a tune while holding her hand, perfectly playing the loving sweetheart. Lisa didn't mind, as it was still better than how she can really be, and instead observed the myriad of people.

Like a group arguing over the plan to raid a ruin compromised by a corrupted monster. A woman crying silent tears at a man leaving with an armed group. A guild staff, dressed in the formal grey uniform, taking a paper from the task board with a regretful sigh. A quiet girl devouring ice cream at quite the pace, an exquisite chained golden spear by her side. Her white eyes met Lisa's mellow blue ones. Lisa smiled at her to which she received a tilt of her head as response.

"Welcome to the Guild. I am Vina. What can I do for you?" A polite voice asked from her side suddenly. Lisa turned her head and saw a woman smiling at her. Her red hair ended a bit above her shoulder. A pair of gold-rimmed glasses sat before her lively green eyes. She wore the same grey uniform as the other staff members. The crest of an eye behind a scale on her right chest. A tug at her hand, along with Era's pout, made Lisa chuckle. Such a perfect actor.

"I would like to register," Lisa said to the receptionist, whose smile had taking a somewhat predatory feel. Yet as their eyes met, Vina paused a few seconds. Her green eyes clouded for a moment as she was lost within memories. The next second she caught herself and coughed.

"Ehem-. Then let me welcome you to the union of all profession in Fylakie, The Guild," Vina bowed as she announced. She straightened her back and with her index finger swiped across the in a straight line. Wherever her finger slid across, symbols lit up in a brilliant blue. From these symbols, the blue light flowed through the desk like water, forming a vertical blue rectangle before Lisa.

"Please lay your hand on the runes," Vina ordered, to which Lisa followed placing her right hand on it. Her normally used left one had the silver ring on it and would just interfere with it.

As she came into contact with them, the symbols, or runes, felt tingly on her hand. They tickled her, before slowly running over her skin in chains. She glanced at Era who just observed it all with amusement.

"I will ask you various questions for your application in the meanwhile. If you do not feel comfortable, do not hesitate to state so," Vina spoke while readjusting her glasses. Seeing Vina unbothered by the runes crawling over her skin, Lisa decided to not worry and just take in the spectacle.

"May I know your name?" Vina asked.

"Lisa Fane" The rune chains sprawled now from her shoulder to her upper body. She could feel the tickle of them in a few more uncomfortable places.

"Age?"

"...17," Lisa hesitated a bit as she was unsure if she should use Thea's physical age or not. She still decided so as this is now her life.

"Profession?" Vina's green eyes gleamed with even more interest as she said. All the while she also noted Lisa's answer quickly down on a small piece of paper.

"Magician," Lisa's adorable face lit up in blue while she said. The rune chains now traveled over almost her entire body.

Vina paused in the midst of writing. "hoo...," her alluring voice let out. "A magician huh?" She mumbled while she looked over Lisa, illuminated by the blue runes. Her gaze took in every curve of Lisa in great detail, staying on her eyes for a while longer before she smiled at the girl a bit red from such an intense gaze.

"Teacher?" Vina asked a few seconds later.

"...Hendricks"

"Of course...who else..." Vina mumbled again while noting down the information. She asked a few more questions in regards to her marital and familial status which Lisa answered mostly in curt replies.

Meanwhile, the rune chains had now slithered over every part of Lisa's body. In the next second, they sank under her skin illuminating faintly all under it before the light vanished as if they never had been there in the first place. Yet, she could still feel it. The movement of those runes on her bones, through her blood and the magic they bore. She looked at Vina and awaited an explanation with a frown underneath her golden bangs.

"The Guild's registration progress also includes a test to see if you meet the requirements to be an official member of the Guild. The test is usually tailored for the profession in question, such as an artificer creating an item. How long it takes to complete is up to you. However, until you complete it you have to pay a monthly fee to the Guild and it is not a small sum," Vina explained directly, clearly used to the circumstances. "In all honesty, this clause only exists to take advantage of nobles and the like wanting to be part of the guild but not willing to complete the test, so the sum is fairly hefty."

"I see, that's why the runes stayed..." Lisa said. She pinched her skin with interest yet could only feel her usual soft flesh. Era by her side chuckled at her antics, while Vina smiled slightly.

"Correct. The runes will verify if you were the one to complete and not someone you hired. Furthermore, it also records your soul's wavelength, which will be used to ensure no one can for example steal your guild card and use it as their own." Vina further added to her explanation. In the meanwhile she sorted through various documents stored beneath the desk until she came upon something making her smile. "just perfect..."

Lisa tilted her head cutely at the unnerving excitement in her voice. Era, in the meantime, had returned to occupying a hand of hers and playing with it. The loving and soft air that would make flowers bloom all around her again.

"Your task will be to retrieve a certain item from Theodore's Theatre. It is located at Messian Street in the second layer and has been abandoned for a few years now," Vina explained while she placed a few papers on the desk before Lisa. "At the high of its popularity, a murder happened during the final act of a performance, killing the owner and actor Theodore. The culprit, Annabelle, another actor committed suicide directly after. One the same day, a [Door] opened, releasing corruption, which killed various staff members and transformed the theatre into a ghost house. The Guild has kept the theatre mostly untouched to test a new magician such as you, Lisa. However, if you have problems with this task you can always request another one."

Lisa glanced over the documents while Vina talked. Everything Vina explained had also been noted in there along with some extra information. Such as various maps, that visualized how to get to the theatre from various points as well as more information about Theodore and Annabelle.

Theodore Lesono. Age 34. Former successful actor and owner of his theatre. A picture of him showed a mature man with an understanding smile and clear royal blue eyes. More information had not been provided. Same for Annabelle.

At age 22, she had been a central actor at Theodore's plays and a protégé of him. A beautiful and energetic smile. Her photo showed her dancing as if clouds were below her feet. Her elegant white hair and white eyes sparkled under the stage light.

The white eyes made Lisa turn her head to a table where now none sat. She glanced around a few times yet could not find the girl with the chained golden spear. She had white hair and eyes just the same. With a sigh, she returned her attention to the papers, yet midway Era made her pause.

Era had her index finger's nail on her lips, while those formed a wide smile. Her perfect royal-blue eyes glowed with such interest and amusement. Those unsettling eyes of a child that had found a new toy stared at Annabelle's picture. With a laugh, Era turned to Lisa and with the sweetest smiles whispered.

"Ahh, certainly, this will be a pleasure to watch."

Lisa lost her usual calm smile and glared at Era, which just further fueled her joy. She closed in on the unamused Lisa, letting her lips almost touch Lisa's ears.

"A corrupted puppet playing a lonely play and a lonely girl often nothing more than a puppet at the words of others. How interesting~," she whispered in a low and exciting voice.


 

"Are you still mad?" Era said. Her voice hurt yet affectionate all the same. Like a sweetheart willing to do all to earn forgiveness for their wrongdoing.

Ahead of her, the blonde hair ending below the shoulder waved with every step Lisa took. On the sides of the street, all kinds of entertainment made the atmosphere lively. A few played instruments, some sang. The second layer of this city, the entertainment district. Of the three layers above the ground, this one perhaps is the most lively and loudest.

"I'm not," Lisa turned her head back at Era. She had her usual calming smile on her face. She spoke with a soft voice to the sweetheart acting Era, "I'm used by now to your ways."

In response Era only tilted her head with a joyful smile. Not to be bothered by it, Lisa focused on the map in her hand. Earlier, after she had asked a few more questions, Lisa left the Guild with Era in tow.

At that time, Era's words had rattled her for a few moments, yet here she was, walking down the streets towards that ridiculous task with a small smile. How long is she going to bottle this all up? It is not like Era had been wrong. But...things are a bit different now. She had Felicia now.

With a sigh, she tossed that into a hidden room in her mind and turned around a corner. Not paying attention to the small constant tug at her sleeve, or the cat tail on her left leg.

Even though the red roofs and white walls scenery of the city had its charm, a certain monotone feeling couldn't be avoided. However, on these streets, Lisa could see the creativity of the people in full. Whether it's the design, engravings and decorations of the building lining this street, all seemed unique and interesting in their way. Even despite the monotone color scheme, this district had its unique charm. The various eccentric people here just further added to it.

She has already decided to visit this place a few more times, preferably with Felicia and just have an entertaining time watching all these performers.

However, for now, she had to focus on the tall building sitting in a unusual quiet street. As far as she could tell, only Era, her and the white cat, that had been rather quiet for a while now, were present in the street. Unlike every other street in this district, a stillness laid in the air.

The reason for this, for the abandoned shops all around it, for the hollowness of this space, seemed to be the theatre in front of them. Theodore's Theatre. The grand sign atop of the entrance was without any damages, despite the years of abandonment. Neither did the dark windows or walls show any of it. Almost as if just a few hours later, the lights would spring on, and the theatre would play its latest drama.

As she laid her eyes on it, she felt like she could see them. The memories of what had once been a great theatre. The memories of those lively white eyes looking from the window high up there down here to all the guests coming just to watch her. And the emptiness now in them as she stared at Lisa from that window.

Lisa blinked a few times and the cold feeling in her mellow blue eyes recessed, turning the building and all around it colorful again. She sighed and walked up the three stairs to the entrance.

This chapter completed itself quite fast~
Im already looking forward to writing the next few chapters~
I hope you can have as much fun with those as I have!~
Anyway...as always I'm very grateful for you reading this!~
May you all have a wonderful day~

6