Chapter 12
316 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lorelle to the rescue! It was the voice of her confusion, her lovely voice giving the "eh" sound that saved the boy and man in the room from the darkness deep within their souls. They both started to come back at the same time, blinking several times and then shaking their heads. Then, they thanked her at the same time!

"Thank you."

Had she really saved the day?! If the details of their inner pain was known then it would be safe to say that she had indeed brought them back from the brink of total despair. That is a story for another time though. Owen was the first to speak after taking a deep breath to calm himself further.

"We can't ignore this letter. If the Headmistress of the Forgotten Oaks Sanctuary has given her approval for this boy to become an adventurer then we must take it seriously." Despite his words of conviction his mouth was still forming a frown.

"Just what is she thinking?" He thought to himself before shifting his gaze from the letter back to the boy.

He was, from everything Owen could tell, simply average for his age. He wasn't overly tall, muscular, or even toned. It was possible he still even had some baby fat in certain areas indicative of his age. The only thing that really stood out were his eyes, and their nearly clear crystal like blue irises. Now that he thought about it he had never seen eyes that seemed to have a tint of color versus a paled color, or perhaps at least not to this degree. Ethan hadn't been looked at Owen up to this point but casually raised his curious gaze to the older man after giving his face one more pat to try and focus his thoughts.

"I will be the one to handle his exam," Owen stated before looking over to the unfocused Lorelle.

The poor dear was having a rough day today, and the evidence of such was yet another audible "eh?!" filling the room after she finished processing the Grand Master's words.

"You sir? But, why? You haven't held an exam in such a long ti....." She stopped when he held up a hand.

"That is true, but this is a unique case. We have never made an exception for one so young and to do so now without certain precautions could be disastrous."

Lorelle understood what the Guild Master was saying, but she didn't see how he himself doing the exam would elevate the causes for concern given the situation. Before she could inquire further, however, Owen continued with his instructions.

"Prepare room five for an exam in two hours time."

Owen handed the battered piece of parchment back to Ethan who silently took it while looking between the two members of the guild. When he returned his gaze to Owen the Guild Master spoke once more.

"Any preferential treatment this parchment afforded you ends with the exam. If you pass you will be the youngest adventurer to date and it will be obvious we made an exception to allow the exam. I would hesitate calling it a gift, and would rather you consider it yet another curse from that woman."

Despite the weight the words carried, Ethan simply stood there and listened. He quietly lowered his arm to his side after taking the letter and considered the man's words with nothing more than a nod. He finally looked from Owen down to the letter and considered the situation to himself.

Lorelle was still somewhat in shock and hadn't moved from where she stood. Once Owen finished his statement to the boy he noted she was still there and gently cleared his throat.

"The room please Lorelle," he said in a gentle tone.

"Oh! Yes! Right away!" Coming back to her senses she offered a subtle bow and nod before rushing from the room, leaving the door slightly ajar behind her. Owen watched her leave before looking back to Ethan.

"Take the time before the exam to rest up and collect yourself. You can use this room until then and I will make sure that Cecelia doesn't disturb you." He added the second statement with a subtle, yet knowing, smile before moving toward the door himself.

"Excuse me sir," Ethan finally spoke up and continued with a question.

"If I may ask, how do you know about her?"

The boy emphasis on "her" made it clear to Owen whom he was referring to. The Guild Master turned with a somewhat pained expression before placing his right palm on the left side of his chest. Bowing ever so slightly with an apologetic smile.

"She is my older sister."

Several seconds of silence followed Owen's proclamation with Ethan simply standing there with a slacked jaw, wide-eyed, expression on his face.

"That is impossible sir, you are surely much older than she is, how can she be your older sister?!"

Thankfully Owen wasn't too in touch with his inner female in that he would be offended by being told he looked so old. Though the reason he looked so old was what caused the corner of his eye to twitch ever so slightly. Trying to muster through the situation Owen cleared his throat and forced a chuckle.

"Yes, well, as I'm sure you are aware, she can be rather demanding of those around her. Especially if, as she puts it, if she "takes a liking to them." So as her younger brother, whom I suppose she liked a great deal, she was very, very demanding of me."

He pointed up, toward what Ethan could only assume were the wrinkles and gray hair on the not-so-old man's face. Thinking on his words Ethan suddenly shuddered as he realized just what Owen's words really meant. Hugging himself he looked to the older man and nodded.

"I understand. I should be thankful I left when I did, or rather I was able to leave when I did. To think I could have turned out looking like you..."

Ethan didn't mean his words in the way they sounded. He meant them truthfully, but he was still just a child and simply spoke something he considered a simple fact. The impact such a statement may have on the recipient didn't really occur to him as a concern. Though Ethan didn't see it, the corner of Owen's other eye was now twitching as well. Taking a deep breath of resignation he moved toward the door, but before closing it behind himself he gave Ethan one last piece of advice.

"Take this exam seriously. Lorelle will come to retrieve you in two hours time."

Then the door closed and Ethan was left to his preparations and thoughts.

13