Chapter 15
244 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite the incredible velocity Ethan was currently traveling at toward the wall he still had a decent amount of control over his body. With just barely enough time to spare he managed to rotate his body around so that his feet were aiming at the wall he was closing in on. Bringing his knees up toward his chest he slipped the shield from his left forearm to his palm before gripping it firmly and then placing it under his boots. After extending his legs as far as they could without breaking his hold on the shield a faint glow could be seen through various points of loose threading in his pants as he poured his Nel' Ina into his lower appendages. He lifted the remaining shield so that it hovered just above his head right as the surface of the lower shield met the wall.

Similar to the explosion from Owen's earlier attack, but seemingly more powerful, Ethan released his own Impac against the wall while also reinforcing his legs to help deal with the recoil. He was fairly certain that he wouldn't have been able to absorb the collision in total so he opted for Plan B, which was to simply remove the wall from the equation. Despite his preparations the force of the explosive Impac against the very solidly built wall sent his knees slamming into his chest which caused him to loudly grunt and grit his teeth. In the end though, Plan B was rather successful.

Less than 10 seconds had elapsed since the beginning of the exam and outside in the main hall it was business as usual. Cecelia was behind the receptionist desk assisting various adventurers, even if she did have an adorable half pout plastered on her soft lips. Every so often she even tried to peak down hallway from the corner of her eye. Even though it was early afternoon the tavern area was getting a bit rowdy near the bar, but it seemed to be in all good fun. Another round of raucous laughter had ignited from a group of four adventurers near the far end of the bar when it happened.

There was the sound of a hollow thud from the other side of the wall behind the receptionist counter followed just a few seconds later by an eruption of smoke, dust, and debris. Letting out a cry of surprise Cecelia dropped fast enough to avoid most of the explosion, but her head, specifically her hair, was still caught up along the underside of the outward force.

There were several dozen adventurers and staff in the main hall of the guild and nearly all of them turned to look at the same time. Some were weak, or easily scared, and they fell to the ground in alarm holding their heads with their hands. Just about half of everyone that turned to look could really tell what was going on, and even less than half of those could get a clear understanding. It was all about their ability and level as an adventurer really. The lower level adventurers simply heard and saw some kind of explosion that covered the receptionist desk and entrance way and what looked to be odd patterns of air pushing and pulling the floating dust and smoke. The slightly higher adventurers would see the same but would also be able to discern that it was a small body causing the strange patterns in the dust and smoke. They would also see what looked to be a set of wooden shields and the source of the explosion being from a wall shared by an exam room. The mid-tier adventurers, or at least the few that were present, would be able to see a young man, a boy even, covered his dust and gritting his teeth as he flew over the counter and then into the entrance area. They would see an interesting sight of twin shields, and possibly legs, enhanced by Nel' Ina, lighting up the dust as the boy flew back and then shot forward.

Though Plan B managed to slow him down a great deal, as well as remove a source of greater pain were it to remain, he still felt his legs scream out in discomfort when he came to a skidding halt in the entrance area a second later. His boots, not the highest of quality, tore along several seams as they themselves weren't currently being reinforced. Though Ethan hadn't noticed it yet, it would be a valuable lessen for him later during his adventuring. As soon as his body registered the stop of backward momentum he flexed his leg muscles and launched himself back toward and then through the opening in the wall. His coiled body, covered by both shields in front him, emerged from the cloud of dust back inside the exam room before falling into a roll on the ground.

As he rolled through and began to rise up he noted Owen's somewhat bewildered, or rather irked, expression, though more importantly he noted his location. He left his right arm behind his body as he continued forward and up before whipping his upper body counter-clock wise so that his arm shot around and forward with great speed. Though no one knew it, Owen was in for a surprise, and it took the form of an attack he had never seen before.

As Ethan's arm brought his shield hurling forward he released enough Nel' Ina into the shield that it caused the channels to overflow. While that in itself had been done before, the sudden rush of too much Nel' Ina combined with the momentum of the shield's arc and precise timing, caused an unexpected reaction, well at least unexpected to Owen and Lorelle. The reaction was that of the sudden launching of a glowing, shield shaped saucer, toward Owen at extreme speeds. There was hardly any resistance due to its make up, and thus its speed was near constant and its trajectory nearly unaffected. Ethan registered the wide eyes and slack jawed expression on Owen as he tried to raise his sword in time to block the shield. Ethan was already rushing forward, having completed his roll and the attack, and was preparing his next attack.

Meanwhile, as the dust began to settle around the receptionist desk, a flustered, dazed, and rather cute looking Cecelia was pulling herself up onto the counter. Looking around she tried to blow a strand of hair from her face before giving up. In fact it wouldn't do much good, as about a quarter of her air was sticking out in odd angles due to the force of the explosion.

9